Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

anyone with good tips for where to get maternity clothes for skinny/boyish figure with small bum?

(18 Posts)
Gemzooks Fri 12-Sep-08 22:54:31

I'm 12 weeks pg, different season from last time round so only have 2 pairs of very summery maternity trousers..

I'm 5'8' and quite thin, boyish figure which goes straight up and down. really need just a couple of pairs of well cut trousers for work etc. But a lot of maternity trousers, even if they claim to be size 10, are actually cut big round the bum and thighs and look ridiculous: what I mean is they are not size 10 with something to accommodate the bump (which is what I want), the whole item of clothing is bigger, more like size 14.

Does anyone have the same predicament and can point me in the direction of flattering maternity clothes for this type of figure? I am an exact size 10 with skinny, quite long legs, and most likely like last time will only have extra weight from the bump.

any tips much appreciated!

dizzydixies Fri 12-Sep-08 22:56:24

envy

topshop online
dorothy perkins
new look
m&s
debenhams
isabella oliver for £££
crave maternity

littlelapin Fri 12-Sep-08 22:56:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gigglewitch Fri 12-Sep-08 22:59:08

I went to H&M and Next mostly [size8/only had any arse when pggrin ]

Gemzooks Fri 12-Sep-08 23:06:11

thanks! isabelle oliver stuff looks nice. Trouble is, I live in Holland, (horrible maternity clothes) although they do have H and M. scared of ordering online as ordered one pair of trousers online in last preg. and I ended up looking like the Bash Street Kids with my knobbly knees sticking out. Topshop stuff looks nice. Grr.

wellbalanced Sat 13-Sep-08 09:16:46

I have topshop jeans that fit me pre pregnancy, size 10 long legs, Dont know what they will be like at 40 weeks thou but i have a couple of pairs of them. What about leggings and floaty dresses, My maternity leggings are from new look and debenhams.
Hope you find something.

MrsMattie Sat 13-Sep-08 09:31:55

Formes is a bit pricier, but everything seems to be made for slim hipped size 8-ers (sadly for me!).

bumbling Sat 13-Sep-08 09:34:49

I'm very similar in physique and bought virtually EVERYTHING at H&M. Shops with maternity bits can be hard to find though, best one in London is H&M at High Street Kensington, it's v large. Any good?

frazzledoldbag34 Sat 13-Sep-08 10:07:44

Isabella Oliver - gorgeous but expensive BUT you only need buy a few of pieces to mix and match and wash constantly (that's what I did and they wash brilliantly). And there is loads of new and used Isabella Oliver on ebay so you might get a bargain if you're lucky. I think lots of people buy it to wear once for a special occasion then sell it. I love mine and can't wait to get it out again for this pg!! Can recommend the wrap top with 3/4 sleeves and long jersey skirt particularly. also their jeans are meant to be really good as are Seraphine (I think that's the name).

Formes is also lovely but also quite expensive. French.

good luck with your pg, am also very jealous of you, skinny minnie!!!!
(I'm quite skinny at the mo (7 wks) but can guarantee by 20 wks will look like an absolute heifer - always happens to me!) Boo
Sorry, waffling.

SlinkieM Sat 13-Sep-08 13:19:23

Seraphine do some good stretch work trousers in a long fitting - have also found their skinny jeans superb, worn from 14 to 39 weeks and still going! (they also do a long fitting in jeans) - and also second the recommendation of Isabella Oliver. Their delivery/refunds etc are excellent and they post overseas.

thehouseofmirth Sat 13-Sep-08 16:31:40

H & M stuff comes up really small. I'm normally a 6-8 (hate me all you like!) and I just bought some of their skinny legged trousers in a size 10 which are great. I also need a new maternity wardrobe as DS 1 was a summer baby and ths time I'm planning mainly wearing wrap dresses so I'm not constantly hoiking up trouser waistbands and I'll be able to wear them for BF when the baby's here.

MrsThierryHenry Sat 13-Sep-08 16:39:10

Gemzooks, you should buy butt pads. Then you'll fit into everything.

grin

wahwah Sat 13-Sep-08 18:29:13

Zara maternity sounds perfect for you.

gigglewitch Sat 13-Sep-08 21:32:27

the other place i got nice stuff from (dresses and tops mostly) was blooming marvellous their stuff comes up slightly on the generous side but is fantastically well cut and you can wear it right through your pg and beyond grin

polester Sun 14-Sep-08 14:54:19

Hi, have you tried E-Bay and look for Topshop maternity stuff as they do great maternity wear for small women who just expand at he bump area only.

onwardandupward Sun 14-Sep-08 17:19:20

You should eat more pies, then you'd be the sort of shape where I could offer advice.

wink

dinny Sun 14-Sep-08 17:20:03

Seraphine, definitely

Gemzooks Sun 14-Sep-08 17:51:29

thanks for tips! No good eating more pies as just get bigger belly but bum stays the same, and belly is big already..

will try h and m here and then try to get to topshop if I come back to the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now