Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling a bit stupid...

(23 Posts)
Mirry71 Thu 11-Sep-08 11:16:21

Does anyone else wake up and feel completely hormonal and have silly worries? Am 16+3 woke up at 5 this morning and promptly burst into tears. Was frightened at the thought of going through birth with an unsympathetic stressed midwife who I'd never met before and then started to worry that I was too much of a worrier to make a good mum.
I also hate myself because a good friend of mine told me yesterday that she was 6 weeks pregnant and she is just one of these amazing laid-back women who will take it all in their stride (wasnt even really trying to get pregnant) and that made me feel more inadequate that ever...particularly as she will be having her baby only so soon after me.
Sorry very stupid post. Just a bit over tired. Please say I am not the only one who gets such stupid thoughts!

Seeline Thu 11-Sep-08 11:18:56

It's your hormones - I've certainly been there and I'm sure plenty of others have too!!

McDreamy Thu 11-Sep-08 11:18:56

You are most definitely not alone. I have been suffering with headaches recently and self diagnsed myself with a brain tumour and then got all upset because I would not be able to see this baby grow up sad (I am 17 weeks today!!!) Come and join us on our due in Feb thread - we are a friendly/slightly mad/supportive lot smile

McDreamy Thu 11-Sep-08 11:19:44

here

meep Thu 11-Sep-08 11:22:17

Mirry I was like this all through my first pregnancy - cried at anything - worried so much about the birth that I was the only one in my antenatal group who wanted to be late!!! Hormones are wonderful!

Your laid back friend will no doubt have all the same worries but just won't tell anyone!

Mirry71 Thu 11-Sep-08 11:37:11

thank you will come and look up the february thread. Sorry I KNOW it is ridiculous - but already feel a failure before even getting half way!!!

fernie3 Thu 11-Sep-08 12:02:03

Hi yesterday I heard a story about someone who I dont even know (a friend of a friend) whose 2 year old died. I cried for alot of the morning ad even went to pick up my daughter EARLY from nursery because I just had to see she was ok - I have also cried at tv programmes and even thinking about my children getting older!. I am normally not the kind of person to cry like this but lately the slightest thing sets me off!

I am 16+4 btw.

sophie

zoejeanne Thu 11-Sep-08 12:58:19

I've taken to crying a lot too - especially everytime I see those paralympians winning medals this week. It is very impressive, I'll admit that, but I doubt everyone one of them deserves my tears.

And after a bad dream last week, I convinced myself that my husband was having an affair and actually already had children with someone else so didn't really want ours. Never ever had reason to doubt him, but I worked myself up about being a single mother and not coping with it all day. Stupid imagination

Hoping you wake up tomorrow feeling happier

McDreamy Thu 11-Sep-08 14:12:38

Well not only have I had a brain tumour this week but after watching X factor on Saturday and hearing about the chap at the end who's wife died just after she had given birth to their daughter I decided that it was quite likely to happen to me after my third section in February!!!!!! hmm

I've had a word with myself but I will admit it all still keeps crossing my mind from time to time!!!!

Mirry71 Thu 11-Sep-08 19:19:12

Thanks ladies....i am feeling a bit better after all your support, and determined NOT to watch X Factor in that case!

I guess I was most shocked at being upset about my friend. I should be over the moon, but a lot of insecureities all came crowding in suddenly.

pinktree Thu 11-Sep-08 20:24:46

Hello I'm 15 weeks today and I also cried terribly after watching that man on X factor!

Anything sets me off at the mo... oh and DON"T go and see 'The Duchess!!' x

chocbiscuits Thu 11-Sep-08 21:55:21

Hi,
I NEVER cry at anything on the TV/film, except whilst pg!!!
And that man on the X-factor had me weeping although I didn't realise the bit about his wife being dead, jsut thought the words were beautiful!!

rarebreed Fri 12-Sep-08 12:02:23

Oh god yes, my OH only had to LOOK at me the wrong way and i was in tears for hours, telling him he obviously didnt love me and how i didnt want to be a single mum and why was he doing this to me....? I always felt stupid afterwards when i had calmed down, but at the time i was convinced he was going to leave me blush

pookamoo Fri 12-Sep-08 12:11:08

Um yes... weepy phases throughout so far (am 31 weeks).
And I just looked up the X factor thing... sob sob sob! I hope he does really well!

ourdoula Fri 12-Sep-08 13:56:12

Sorry to say that im not even pregnant but I cry at anything anyway, especially the man on x factor!!!!!!!! So just imagine how I was when I was pregnant!!

MrsTittleMouse Fri 12-Sep-08 14:01:57

First pregnancy I cried at adverts. I'm not quite that bad this time around, thank goodness. I suppose that it's because I'm trying to hold myself together for DD1. It's completely normal though.

Jenski Fri 12-Sep-08 17:25:14

I cried when Wellard (the dog in Eastenders) died recently!! Fortunately I was on my own grin

izzybiz Fri 12-Sep-08 17:49:36

Wait till you get to the end!!
I am now 39 weeks, I am an evil hormonal monster! And I cry when I'm left alone, I cried because my 4 yo Dd pushed me when I was trying to get off the sofa!

I cried at X factor too!!

MrsBumblebee Sat 13-Sep-08 08:29:03

Oh, and just to add to what everyone else has said - you can't be too much of a worrier to be a good mum!! You just have to get used to the idea that being a mother involves worrying about things pretty much all the time. You get used to it, though!

Mirry71 Sat 13-Sep-08 13:46:37

oh i hope so....i am a dreadful worrier...am ruining this pregnancy by worrying all the time! is driving DH mad!

DustyTv Sat 13-Sep-08 14:05:27

Mirry, what you are feeling is completely natural. I felt the same while I was pg with DD.

Tis your hormones. Don't hate yourself because your friend is laid back while she is pg, everyone copes with pregnancy differently.

You WILL be a wonderful mum and BTW it is a mums job to worry.

I too had a very unsympathetic midwife who didn't seem to do a lot to help any of my fears.

This is not a stupid post at all and you are not the only one who has these thoughts and feelings.

Also I would like to add that if you feel that the worry and anxiety is becoming too much or starting to feel out of control then go and speak to your GP. I did this a few weeks ago and it helped to talk to my GP.

DustyTv Sat 13-Sep-08 14:09:22

if you feel up to it come and join us on here

ruthosaurus Sat 13-Sep-08 22:15:40

Mirry, I'm 31+3 and cried about the washing up, not being able to sleep, not wanting to get out of bed, the news, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Bloody Fire, a very cute babygro in Mothercare and the fact that I can't see my toes any more, all in the last 7 days.

2 or 3 months ago I worked myself up into a total state because I booked a dentist appointment for about 2 months after the baby's due date and couldn't work out where in the dentist's waiting room I could leave a pram that I don't even have yet. I missed half a night's sleep over that one.

I have also worried about not feeling the baby kicking, bumping my tummy on a cupboard in Ikea, whether the baby would mind not kicking for a bit when I'm this tired and am I eating the right things...

I don't think you're stupid, I'm just glad it's not just me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now