Talk

Advanced search

When did you start maternity leave?

(23 Posts)
Rhian82 Wed 10-Sep-08 09:58:38

I'm currently 33 weeks, and supposed to be starting my maternity leave at 37 weeks. But I keep missing odd days and mornings of work because I feel crap, and I'm wondering if I should be starting now - but I couldn't afford a whole extra month off

I was just wondering when was most usual for finishing work?

lauraloola Wed 10-Sep-08 10:26:26

I started at 35 weeks, I had some holiday to use up aswell.

There is a point where if you are off for pregnancy reasons they start your maternity leave automatically - It was in my pack I got from work, might be worth checking that to make sure they wont start it for you.

buttercreamfrosting Wed 10-Sep-08 11:02:02

I went at 37 weeks with all three of mine (also because I didn't want to waste the leave) and all three were nearly two weeks early....Worked out quite well!

Smittals Wed 10-Sep-08 11:10:49

I waited to 38 weeks then had a week of holiday, a week of mat leave before the due date - then 2 weeks of hanging about before DD decided to appear grin I knew I'd only get 6 months of mat leave which is why I chose to wait until the 'last' minute. This time round I will probably leave a bit earlier, just to get some rest time while dd is at nursery. Agree with you about money worries though. But you've also got to consider your health and your baby's well being!

TeriHatchetJob Wed 10-Sep-08 11:13:32

With my first child it was the day I gave birth.

I was determined to have as much time off as possible afterwards.

I was communting 2 hours every day and working 12 hour days too but that was when I was young and careless and career mad!

GeneHuntFanClub Wed 10-Sep-08 11:25:23

I went at 27 weeks

(well 29 weeks with 2 weeks of holiday)

EDTessa Wed 10-Sep-08 18:19:13

I wasn't sure whether to stop at 37 or 38 weeks...in the end glad I stopped at 37 weeks cos I got some of my energy back (had been just collapsing every night after work) and also found I had loads more antenatal appointments which would have been difficult to fit in with work.

Preganancy-related sickness once you're past 36 weeks can automatically start your maternity leave - unless your employer turns a blind eye...wink

PeppermintPatty Wed 10-Sep-08 18:45:14

I went at 34 weeks. And was glad I did as I was exhausted (this might have had something to do with moving house though!).
It was also June and very warm. My office doesn't have air con and I was so hot and uncomfortable and had legs and feet the size of an elephant's

Seabright Wed 10-Sep-08 18:47:51

I'm finishing at 36 weeks, then I have 2 weeks holiday.

I am now wondering if I should work longer as this weeks round of emails from bounty/pampers/boots etc (I signed up to get all the free stuff they give you) say there's not reason not to work up until your due date (unless you're ill), so I am I being lazy?

CaptainUnderpants Wed 10-Sep-08 18:52:23

My maternity leave offically started on my due date , however I finished at about 36 weeks with both as I had lost of holiday leave to use up.

PeppermintPatty Wed 10-Sep-08 18:54:03

No you're not been lazy. You could work up to your due date. But it's nice to have a rest before the mayhem begins.
Although if you already have LOs that need looking when you're not in work, it might actually be easier to work

aendr Wed 10-Sep-08 19:02:13

I'm going on ML at 38 weeks, but having 3 full weeks annual leave before that (use it or lose it) and shortening the 8 weeks before that by one day a week by using annual leave. It's helping a lot with my tiredness.

(Hello, this is my first mumsnet post!)

AEndr
30 weeks tomorrow

coolkat Wed 10-Sep-08 19:12:13

I am nearly 33 weeks and with DD worked up until 38 weeks, this time really struggling with back and SPD so hoping to get signed off until 36 weeks and then start ML.

Work would prefer it if I were not in work on my crutches, will still answer emails etc from home.

AnathemaDevice Wed 10-Sep-08 19:37:34

I'm planning on starting my leave at around 25 weeks or so- I'm not going back afterwards, I hate my job, and I want to get out as soon as I possibly can! Should be leaving just before Christmas, all being well. If I hadn't got pregnant I'd be thinking about leaving at around this time anyway.

ceebee74 Wed 10-Sep-08 19:41:22

I am doing similar to another poster. Am leaving work at 35+ weeks but will have 3 weeks holiday so my mat leave won't officially start until I am nearly 39 weeks.

But, the 3 weeks before I leave (i.e. between 32 and 35 weeks) I am using some more holiday and just doing 2 days a week for those 3 weeks to give me some rest.

It is entirely your decision but your employers can start your maternity leave at 36 weeks automatically if you are off sick with a pregnancy-related illness.

Gorgeoushoney1980 Wed 10-Sep-08 19:48:12

I worked up until 38 weeks. I found the last 2 weeks a real struggle though

Rhian82 Wed 10-Sep-08 20:36:52

Thanks everyone. I'm not actually starting my maternity leave till my due date - I'm taking the three weeks before that off as holiday, which seems fairly normal.

I couldn't remember how far along it was before they could force you to start your ML early - I'm glad it's as late as 36 weeks as that's only a possible week before. I don't think they'd want to force me anyway - at the moment they don't have anyone else to do my job so I think they'll want me for as long as possible, even if I am missing the odd morning!

Donk Wed 10-Sep-08 20:38:56

I officially started Maternity leave at 40 weeks - 2 weeks and 5 days after ds was born!

PavlovtheCat Wed 10-Sep-08 20:42:55

I finished the day before I gave birth, officially! However I was due to start it two weeks earlier than due date.

ninja Wed 10-Sep-08 20:49:39

First time - worked up to DD was born (3 days early) and was meant to be working next day!!

This time stopping at 39 weeks (next week), but I'm really slowing down and feeling it as have DD to worry about. As it happens I'll miss bits of work for extra blood tests and hopital appointments in the next week (which I'm not sorry about)

Welcome aendr

cmotdibbler Wed 10-Sep-08 20:59:01

I finished the day I gave birth (35 weeks) - well, the Monday actually when I rang in to say that I wouldn't be coming in on account of being in hospital with the baby. My suprise announcement was spoilt by the fact that lots of people had seen the engineering manager grabbing his car keys and running out of the factory on the Friday when I'd phoned him to ask him if he'd mind taking me to the hospital as my waters had broken, and DH was away. So he'd had loads of phone calls to see if everything was OK with him.

My friend worked till 38 weeks with her twins - had two days off before her induction. She reckoned being at work was much more relaxing than being at home - and cooler

BlueJellie Wed 10-Sep-08 21:08:19

I stopped at 36 weeks (this week) and am having a weeks annual leave, official mat leave starts next Monday. Would've gone 2 weeks earlier if I could but have to have been there a year at least when mat leave starts to get my enhanced mat pay. My job isn't physically tiring but I found the commute hard as don't drive, and mushy pregnant brain made it difficult to concentrate on my work. Am rather bored at home alone while DP at work but is nice to slob out on settee & have lie ins when there's torrential rain outside, won't miss walking to the bus stop in that!

Wisknit Thu 11-Sep-08 07:45:26

29 WEEKS.
V. physical job though involving lifing and stuff and got up at 5 every morning didn't get in til 6-6.30 so was shattered.
Much nicer than work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now