Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

12 week scan tomorrow and they didn't tell me to drink lots of water?

(18 Posts)
titmouse Tue 09-Sep-08 18:05:48

When I had a scan to investigate for PCOS I was told to drink a whole load of water before the ultrasound but there was no mention of it in the letter about my 12 week scan. Do I have to? Scan is at 8.30 am and I find it hard enough to get half a glass down me at that time, never mind a litre or whatever.

Tinasan Tue 09-Sep-08 18:07:42

no - depends on how sophisticated the machines are, the more old fashioned ones need you to drink some water to push your bladder up so they can see more clearly. If they haven't told you to, it won't be necessary....good luck!

AnathemaDevice Tue 09-Sep-08 18:08:00

I had my 12 week scan today, my letter beforehand said there was no need to have a full bladder for the scan. Managed to see everything clearly, the sprog waved! grin

cece Tue 09-Sep-08 18:08:04

My hospital does scans with an empty bladder.

titmouse Tue 09-Sep-08 18:13:51

yay thanks I have been dreading the water!!

I am actually not looking forward to the scan, I am so scared they will tell me there's no baby in there and I imagined it all. I realise that's a bit freaky....

saralou Tue 09-Sep-08 18:15:57

the water is so that your full bladder pushes your womb and ovaries up for a better view

you don't need it at this stage because your womb is already bigger!

hth

titmouse Tue 09-Sep-08 18:19:22

AnathemaDevice, that's so lovely that the baby gave you a little wave! was it really moving around in there?
I really, 100% have no idea what to expect from the scan.

barbareebaa Tue 09-Sep-08 19:26:52

Good luck with the scan tomorrow titmouse!

I didn't have to drink water before the scan either.

Totally understand your fears - I felt exactly the same for weeks before mine but it was fine (31 weeks now and and sitting here feeling him hiccuping!!)

All the best smile

titmouse Tue 09-Sep-08 21:45:51

thanks for the reassurance barbareebaa, I'll let you know how it goes - I am feeling a bit more excited than I was earlier

elkiedee Tue 09-Sep-08 21:53:49

Even if they say a full bladder which mine still does, I never had to drink a glass of water, used the bathroom before I set out but not at the hospital which I would have done normally before going into an appt. A few sips of water has always seemed to be enough for the scans.

Highlander Wed 10-Sep-08 11:39:52

modern probesa can use a higher frequency so the resolution is better. If you are slim you'll get pretty stunning pictures!

SmugColditz Wed 10-Sep-08 11:41:08

I did with ds1, and with ds2 they sent me for a wee as they had updated their machines

TheHedgeWitch Wed 10-Sep-08 12:05:20

Message withdrawn

Slickbird Thu 11-Sep-08 22:07:10

Hmm, it must vary from region to region. I just had my 12wk scan a couple of weeks ago and was told to drink a lot. I was murder as they pressed the scanner over it, but worth it as we had a great view (??) and the sonographer kept going on about my 'nice full bladder' and 'perfect textbook position of the baby' smile

BUT conversely, when we lived in Wales we got a 21wk scan and no 12 wk scan and I was told to have a full bladder and they couldn't get a clear enough picture cos you couldn't see the baby's head - it was literally stuck under my enlarged bladder! - I suggested I go for a pee (before I did it right there on the table) and 'miraculously' you could then see everything. The staff couldn't believe it, but I guess it was because it was at a bigger stage, it didn't need propping up.

Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble. Good luck with it all anyway!

Slickbird Thu 11-Sep-08 22:09:03

Ahh. Sorry, you posted on Tuesday - how did it go??

Kalikaroo Fri 12-Sep-08 08:17:41

I'm having my 12 week scan the week after next and they said they will be doing in internal scan rather than through the abdomen since it gives them a better picture (they'll also be measuring the nuchal fold).
- anyone else had this for their 12 week scan?

Highlander Tue 16-Sep-08 13:42:06

my midwife told me overweight women get an internal

nelix2000 Tue 16-Sep-08 14:48:17

I think you have to be very overwieght to get an internal tho

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now