Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

nuchal translucency scan

(18 Posts)
surprisenumber3 Tue 09-Sep-08 12:38:25

Has anyone had one of these? And how did you go about booking it? Thanks x

crokky Tue 09-Sep-08 12:45:01

In some areas it is on the NHS and they book it for you - I had that with my first. Then I moved and for my second, I didn't get a scan. It has to be done in a certain timeframe, someone will know!

lilymolly Tue 09-Sep-08 12:47:25

you need to find out if is avaiable at your local hospital, as it is a private scan-
once you know where they are then you ring them direct as far as I know- one word of caution, they like to scan you at a very specific time, and hence like you to have had your dating scan early so they can book you in on the exact week that is required.

I had dating scan at 9 weeks and booked in for nuchal at 12 weeks at University hospital north Durham- via telephone
It is also worth having the associated bloods done to getting a combined and more accurate result.
some centres only offer the scan.

ElenorRigby Tue 09-Sep-08 12:50:42

I had one done at Leeds Screening Centre.
www.leedsscreeningcentre.co.uk/
They were brilliant and the scan gave real peace of mind
The nuchal translucency cost about £100.

surprisenumber3 Tue 09-Sep-08 12:51:47

Thank you. It's not on the NHS in my area and I have my dating scan booked for when I'm 13 weeks but apparently this has to be done between 11-14.

I'm just scared to phone anywhere at the moment as I'm so grumpy and snappy! blush

ElenorRigby Tue 09-Sep-08 12:52:16

I echo what lilymolly said you need to get the associated blood tests done too, they significant increase the accuracy!

lilymolly Tue 09-Sep-08 12:58:13

I would ask for the dating scan to be done earlier than in that case- nuchal is only effective between 11 and 13 (i think)

where do you live and I will do some exploring for you smile

surprisenumber3 Tue 09-Sep-08 13:08:46

Hi - thanks lily. I live near Birmingham. I have just called two centres and they both charge £185.

lilymolly Tue 09-Sep-08 13:11:35

thats sounds like they dont do the bloods as well will do some investigatin smile

lilymolly Tue 09-Sep-08 13:14:09

have you tried here

surprisenumber3 Tue 09-Sep-08 13:14:19

Thank you. I think they do the bloods too. I was just wondering why it is so expensive compared to the others. Also, I can't get my dating scan any earlier, in my area they like to do them at 11 weeks but couldn't fit me in. Actually, I think I'll be 12 weeks, not 13.

lilymolly Tue 09-Sep-08 13:15:13

another thread here too

lilymolly Tue 09-Sep-08 13:15:59

My scan with bloods was £300 so yours sounds cheap grin

surprisenumber3 Tue 09-Sep-08 13:16:14

Thanks, it was the MUMS one I called. Do I need to tell my midwife I'm having one?

surprisenumber3 Tue 09-Sep-08 13:20:59

Oh yeah it does sound cheap then! I think I just expected it to be around £100.

Thanks for all you help xx

midnightexpress Tue 09-Sep-08 13:24:46

Mine was about 150 (I think), with bloods. I'd phone up and speak to the relevant people - they'll be used to hormonal women, I'm sure.

We don't get them on the NHS here, but at my dating scan the nurse did tell me that the neck measurement looked fine, which was quite reassuring (but I had the test done privately anyway).

jellibob Thu 11-Sep-08 10:24:21

Highly recommend the Fetal Medicine Center (FMC) in Harley Street, London. £150 for single baby and £200 for twins. For various reasons I had an NHS nuchal scan and the FMC one on the same day. At the NHS one I was told that it was not possible to get the results quicker than 2 weeks because of the tests required on the blood sample. Went to the FMC and was all done in under 2 hours.

The NHS results were posted 2nd class (why would they not think I was desperate for the results?!) 2 weeks after the test, and just said "not high risk". FMC results were immediate, and was told that the risk had gone from 1:130 to 1:4300.

Almost tempted to have more children just so I can go back to FMC!

meep Thu 11-Sep-08 10:29:59

I had mine done on Tuesday - it was £190 private (you don't get it on the nhs here). I got a scan and bloods done for the price. It is just a more accurate reading of the risk than just bloods alone. On the nhs I get a dating scan at about 12 weeks and blood tests at 16 weeks.

They send the results to your GP and midwife but I am sure you could ask them not to though I wouldn't see why not.

My only tip is not to tell the sonographer at your nhs dating scan - with dd1 the sonographer got very snippy with me when I mentioned I'd already had a private scan and our dating scan ended up being very rushed and uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now