Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Possible ectopic pregnancy. Would appreciate advice.

(32 Posts)
mummy2000 Mon 08-Sep-08 22:03:23

I went to the doctors today complaining of pains in my stomach. Cramping mostly but sometimes i find it hard to breath as it's so painful. Doctor done the routine pregnancy test(2 actually) and said that it looks like i am pregnant! The bad news is that she's worried that it may be ectopic. I'm scared(of course) and i don't know anyone that has went through this so i don't know what to expect. Has anyone else had painful stomach pains without it being ectopic and what tests will they do(and how soon)to find out if it is? I'm back to the doctors tomorrow for a blood test as the lines on the tests were so faint but i have no idea where it will go from there. I would really appreciate advice on this. Thanks

thingamajig Mon 08-Sep-08 23:03:23

I have no experiance of this, I know Lissielou had an ectopic which was quite serious. I hope you are not in too much pain at the moment. I would imagine that they will do an ultrasound scan to see where the baby has implanted.
I really do not want to worry you as you sound delighted to get positive tests, but I have to say that from the sound of it the doctor wants to check whether you really are (still) pregnant.

mummy2000 Tue 09-Sep-08 08:06:09

Thanks for your comment. I have had no bleeding at all which i'm guessing is a good sign. My partner is very worried about what will happen. I hope it doesn't take that long to find out what's going on. My last pregnancy was 9 years ago so i can't remember much of that but i have been told by my family that i suffered from terrible pains in my stomach back then also. Maybe it's just the way my body works when i fall pregnant? i hope so. I'm rhesus negative
also so i don't know how this will affect my second pregnancy. I will find out what the doctor thinks by 6pm.

belgo Tue 09-Sep-08 08:22:17

It is possible that it's simply implantation pains, but any pain during pregnancy needs to be checked out.

I'm no expert but this is how I understand it:
They will take your blood to check your hormones, and then they should take more blood samples over the coming days to see how the hormones are changing, this can give an indication of how well the pregnancy is going.

As well as that, they should book you in for a scan to found out exactly where the pregnancy is situated.

If the pain gets worse at any time, if you experience faintness, blood loss, a high temperture, shoulder pain, or any other symptoms such as vomiting/diarrhea, then you need to get to the hospital immediately.

But hopefully all is well with your pregnancy, and if it's by any chance not going well, then the doctors will find out early enough.

Lubyloo Tue 09-Sep-08 08:23:20

Sorry to hear you are going through this.

I have had an ectopic pregnancy and found that the worse thing was the uncertainty of what was going to happen. The GP will take blood tests to check the amount of HCG in your system and should repeat the test 48 hours later. This will show whether it is doubling or not as it should do in an normal pregnancy.

I would also hope that he will refer you to the Early Pregnancy Unit where they will scan (my local one won't scan any earlier than six weeks. Do you know roughly how many weeks you are?)

In the meantime if the pain increases or you get bad shoulder tip pain or bleeding that resembles prune juice then go straight to A&E as these can all be signs of internal bleeding. A change in bowel habits can also be a warning sign.

Good luck. I hope all is well. Let us know how you get on.

Millie26 Tue 09-Sep-08 09:37:47

This happened to me.

They scanned me and couldnt see a sac and could see a 'cystic mass' near my tube so they assumed it was ectopic.

As others have said, they will take blood and then again 48 hours later and then maybe again 48 hours after that.

They kept me in hospital for three days and took my blood pressure constantly. Shoulder tip pain is a very bad sign (you would know if you had this) as tube has probably burst.

Turned out it was too early to see the pregnancy - was only 4 weeks - so blood more than doubled every two days and eventurally they saw a sac with an internal scan and then at 6 wks a baby with a heartbeat.

You need a hcg level of over 1000 I think for them to be able to see anything.

Let us know what happens.

Millie26 Tue 09-Sep-08 09:41:05

PS - if you google a lot, you will find out loads from papers written by med students about the levels if hcg and when it is almost certainly an ectopic etc.

They may also tell you, if it is ectopic, that you need to have a general anesthetic and they might need to remove your tube although they dont always need to espec if you are so early and some hospitals offer an injection which dissolves the pregnancy and keeps your tube intact.

There are lots of v postiive stats on further pgs with no problems even with previous history of ectopic.

mummy2000 Tue 09-Sep-08 09:49:13

Thanks everyone. It's nice to be able to talk to people about this. I haven't had any shoulder pain yet. I did wake this morning with a slight nipping pain on my right hand side front to back but that seems to have gone for the moment. Maybe it is just implantation pains or the way my body adjusts to pregnancy. I really hope that everything is ok. I will keep you all updated.

Millie26 Tue 09-Sep-08 09:54:08

I had lots of pain in the beginning - it woke me up at night!

Just had 12 week scan and all was fine.

Dotty38 Tue 09-Sep-08 12:27:36

Hiya Mummy 2000

I had an ectopic scare at 4 weeks pg. I had been having lots of crampy pains very much like severe period pains, I was doubled over at times. I then developed pain on my left side near my hip so I went to the GP. He immediately sent me to the Early Pregnancy Unit, they took bloods and did an internal examination which all seemed normal. I then had an internal scan the next day and they found the sac in the right place so ruled out an ectopic. I then went back at 6 weeks and they scanned me again and found the heartbeat. But the left sided pain has continued and I still get it on and off even now. At the second scan they said I had a very small cyst on my ovary which may be causing the pain but they told me not to worry and to come back for my 12 week scan.

When speaking to friends about early pregnancy it seems that you get all sorts of aches and pains sometimes quite severe ones but it doesn't mean there is anthing seriously wrong. It sounds like your doing the right thing and going through all the tests, but I know what an anxious time it is while your waiting.

I hope it all works out for you.

threekidsareyoumad Tue 09-Sep-08 12:40:53

I had an ectopic pregnancy about 2 years ago and the symptoms were bleeding (which I assumed was a period at the time) horrific stomach pains, shoulder tip pain, nausea, terrible back pain and finally collapse! It was a truly horrendous experience but they identified it and operated straight away. If you haven't had bleeding then yes that is a good sign, you may just be experiencing pain from your ligaments stretching. They should do a probe scan to check the pregnancy is place - best of luck!

lauraloola Tue 09-Sep-08 12:55:32

I had a scan at 7 weeks as I had pains in one side. It took me a week to get them do a scan. They did my HCG levels first and they did rise but I wasnt convinced.

Turns out I had 2 big cysts in my left ovary. Once they burst the pain went.

mummy2000 Tue 09-Sep-08 20:11:45

Doctor was supposed to call today betweeen 5 and 6pm but didn't!! I hate sitting around wondering what is going on. I have been sitting around waiting on her calling. I'm very stressed out about this. I can't get excited until i know what's happening.

threekidsareyoumad Tue 09-Sep-08 20:49:17

If they do not get back to you by tomorrow and you are still experiencing pain I would go to your A&E and say you have tested positive for pregnancy but are getting bad stomach cramps. They should confirm your pregnancy and do a scan to ensure it is in place. I left it too long and got into a dangerous situation. Not good enough that your GP hasn't got back to you. Good luck.

Lubyloo Tue 09-Sep-08 23:55:27

Sorry the doctors didn't get back to you. However one test result won't tell you anything (other than to confirm you are pregnant)

What you need is for another blood test to be done 48 hours after your first and possibly more after that (I had blood tests done every 48 hours for three weeks) They are looking to see if your HCG levels are doubling. Slow rising HCG can be indicative of an ectopic.

I would ring them in the morning and also arrange for another blood test to be done. As I said before though if the pain gets worse or you have any other symptoms go to A&E. Take care. Hope you start getting answers soon.

Aitch Wed 10-Sep-08 00:01:33

i promise hand on heart that there is no way whatsoever to diagnose an ep with a preg test.

serial hcg testing (more than three over six days) and a scan at six weeks is best practice. it's a shame that you've been panicked over what might be absolutely nothing, tbh, i've had two eps and had the worst ep signs ever with what turned out to be dd1 so you never know. smile best of luck.

mummy2000 Wed 10-Sep-08 18:34:56

Got the call from the doc. Confirms that i'm def pregnant and that the levels of HCG are low but not abnormally low.She's confident that because the pain isn't constant and i'm not bleeding that my pregnancy is fine. I got told i can go down again next week for another blood test to give me peace of mind that the HCG levels are rising. Thank you all for writing comments to me. It really helped me through the past few days. x

Aitch Wed 10-Sep-08 18:51:07

okay, that's great and your doc is probably right but go for the hcg to be on the safe side, you might as well... smile

Lubyloo Wed 10-Sep-08 19:04:38

That's great that you have had confirmation of the pregnancy smile I think you should go and have the other HCG test too. If you went tomorrow then it would be 48 hours after your last one and you could see if it has doubled. That will give you a much better idea as it is the rate that it rises which is important.

How is the pain today?

mummy2000 Wed 10-Sep-08 22:33:00

The pain isn't too bad today. I had a few pains in my side but nothing as bad as it was.My stomach isn't so swollen today either. A good sign i'm guessing if it has eased off. I'm feeling more confident that all is well now but still too scared to get excited just incase something is wrong. I'm desperate to get stuck into all the baby books Need to brush up on it all as it has been 9 years since the last one! I think i'll go and get another blood test done on Friday to be on the safe side. I still can't believe i am pregnant again!!shock :D

Aitch Wed 10-Sep-08 22:52:34

congratulations! grin

lydiathetattooedlady Thu 11-Sep-08 08:21:51

ive put this on here before but i was taken in to hospital with expected eptopic and i was constipated!

ellsbellzie Sat 13-Sep-08 17:21:29

Hi Just wondering if there is anyone else who has recently expereinced an Eptopic?

I have just came out of hospital, I had an eptopic, fortunatley I didnt have to have any treatment as my HG level had gone down to 80 so hopefully it is going to go natrually, ive got to go back Monday to have my levels checked again.

Mummy how is every thing going?

mummy2000 Sat 13-Sep-08 18:42:05

Hi ellsbellzie. So sorry to hear you went through this. I'm in much less pain now(just the odd cramp) and everything seems to be continuing to be a normal pregnancy. I am going back to the doctors on Monday to get my bloods checked again. Fingers crossed everything is ok as i am begining to get excited. x

TheUNITUBER Sat 13-Sep-08 20:08:28

Hi Ellsbellzie

We've 'met' before - on the May 2009 AN thread (I am Scaryhairy/MrsHappy), and I'm sorry that your pregnancy has also ended badly.

I've just been treated for my second ectopic, this time by surgery. You sound like your body is dealing with yours all by itself. I've read that half of ectopics self-resolve, which has to be the best way.

BTW, I've always found the day/week when my hormone levels drop to zero very difficult and emotional, so please try to take it easy for the next few days or so while they drop right down. And if you need to talk about what you're going through, I'm around. smile

Take care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now