Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Early scans - can they/you see much?

(22 Posts)
MissyK Mon 08-Sep-08 20:29:19

My gp has booked me in for an early scan in the morning - I should be 6-7 weeks.
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience of these scans & if they could see very much on them?

TIA

lauraloola Mon 08-Sep-08 20:32:51

I had one at 7 weeks and you could see a bean!! You can see the heart beat though which is very reassuring. I still have the photo from mine!

MissyK Mon 08-Sep-08 20:36:38

Thanks, I think dh will be proudly carrying around a photo of our bean (or beans) after tomorrow morning. Well, hopefully

cmotdibbler Mon 08-Sep-08 20:38:50

At 6 weeks they really look like a broad bean with a little fluttering bit which is the heart

electra Mon 08-Sep-08 20:41:31

I have posted about early scans before but just wanted to say try not to get worried if you can't see a heart beat.

MissyK Mon 08-Sep-08 20:47:47

Hi electra, yes, I have seen that it's not always possible to see a heartbeat but it doesn't mean anything. I understand this now, tomorrow morning if I get asked to come back in 10 days might be different though!! blush

We have been told that it may be twins because of quite high hcG levels at 4 weeks but I really am hoping that's there's only one & it was just nicely settled in - is this bad of me? [blush}

rrrayray Mon 08-Sep-08 21:18:47

I'd be prepared to see not much. i had a scan at 6 weeks, the Doctor showed me the sac... and paused, and my heart skipped a beat, i could just see this sac of fluid (a dark area) and nothing else. i thought the baby wasnt there.

Then he finally said, and the TINIEST white flicker was the babies heart beat.

I'm now happily 20 weeks pregnant, and my 12 week Scan was LOVELY.... you'll notice a MASSIVE difference!!!

Try not to worry.... xx

lauraloola Tue 09-Sep-08 12:49:36

How did you get on MissyK??

MissyK Tue 09-Sep-08 15:19:39

Hey Lauraloola
We saw our bean (only one) with it's little heart beating away DH is now proudly carrying the picture with him.
It already has the nickname mean bean as I feel so sick & nothing so far seems to make it go away

rrrayray Tue 09-Sep-08 16:59:31

Ah thats fantastic Miss K.

I have to say i remmeber not enjoying my early Scan much at all, due to like you, being So So sick!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but nothing worked for me either. IT just eventually disapeered!

The only thing i can say eased it slightly and made me feel brighter, was fresh air. As much as i didn't want go anywhere but curled up in a ball, OH dragged me out and although it didnt stop the sickness, it made me feel fractionally better!

My Thoughts are with you. xxxxx

MissyK Tue 09-Sep-08 17:45:16

Lol, thanks rrrayray! The scan was quick thankfully, but I couldn't decide if I needed to pee and throw up more, the 40minute car journey there was hell!
I have been told to try lemon drops for the sickness, will give it a go tomorrow.
Glad to hear it goes eventually - I have hope for the next trimester!!

rrrayray Tue 09-Sep-08 17:56:37

My gosh, this is ALL too familiar. We had about a 40 min journey for ours too.

I'm sure OH was driving perfectly normally but it felt like he was swerving all over the road and driving VERY fast. Not good for a sicky tummy and dizzy head.

the water i had to drink before the appointment was HELL not to wee it out... i was DYING.

Lemon Drops, as in the sweets? i bought some morning sickness easing sweeties while i was in america. just hard boiled sweets with a price tag i think... but i was desperate.

I was silly enough to carry on with a trip to see my friend in the usa when about 8 weeks pregnant. My morning sickness didnt really hit until i got there. I CRIED boarding the plane home, as i just KNEW i was going to be sick the whole way home. And i was.... the turbulance (obviously adding to the sickness) meant i couldnt even leave my seat. just had to keep filling sick bags, poor bloke next to me. 10 hour flight- never again while pregnant!!!!!

My Gosh, why did i tell you that story.... i guess i'm saying, Don't do a long haul flight!!!

Oh, and try and eat really bland things, i was literally force fed by other half, as i wasted away. i lost nearly 3/4 of a stone between 8-14 weeks!

Keep your chin up, it eases, and use Mumsnet whenever you have Questions- its been a gOD send for me!

ajm200 Tue 09-Sep-08 18:10:29

I had one at a 9 weeks as they thought I might be having twins. Had a fat tum despite lots of morning sickness.

Could see one little kidney bean with a heartbeat and a yolk sack

Preggy pops and lots of very small meals helped a little bit but was still sick about 10x a day. It is yuk but hopefully will fade away soon. Mine lasted til labour but I've always been odd.. wink

GruffaloSoldier Tue 09-Sep-08 19:15:40

hi

i am 8+2 and had a scan today - look at my pics in my profile - its so clear! you can just about make out a tiny foot

(sorry im still on cloud 9)

lauraloola Tue 09-Sep-08 19:16:20

Brilliant! Congratulations x I still have my 'bean' picture and got it out earlier to have a look. Dd is now 3 months old, its crazy to think she started as that. The next 2 scans are great, the difference is amazing I hope you have a great pregnancy x

GruffaloSoldier Tue 09-Sep-08 19:18:43

Thanks

BrightSideOfLife Wed 10-Sep-08 11:29:55

Hi GruffaloSoldier,

Congrats! That is a great scan picture. I have my 8 week scan next week, so am very curious. Was yours internal or transabdominal?

missyK great news on your successful scan of one little baby grin

MissyK Wed 10-Sep-08 11:58:20

Hi BrightSideOfLife

Yes, my one little bean.. I have been told there's still a slim chance of there being two in the one gestational sac but for now they think one. There is a strong history of twins on both sides of the family but I just don't know how I'd cope with 2 little ones at once, I guess you just get on with it!

Saw my mw today & she was very good, I have my officially booking in at the hospital in 3 weeks then a scan at 12weeks when hopefully it won't look like a bean anymore!!

All I need to do now is figure out how not to throw up everytime I travel anywhere & I am onto a winner!! I have tried ginger but that actually made me feel even more sick, couldn't stomach the taste at all tried the sweets, biscuits & tea with no success

lauraloola Wed 10-Sep-08 12:50:03

I used to nibble on salt and vinegar rice cakes when I felt ill. I think the salt made me feel better. It wont last long anyway.

Surely they would have seen 2 heart beats if there was 2 in there??

MissyK Wed 10-Sep-08 13:38:32

That's what I thought, but they said it's not unheard of for one to be 'hiding' at this stage.?!. Guess we will know for sure at 12 week scan!
I am about to brave the shopping trip now so will try the salt and vinegar option, has to be worth a try!!

Neeerly3 Wed 10-Sep-08 13:46:17

missyk, have you tried fizzy water? I felt awful from 6 weeks to about 10 weeks, and could only eat if i was drinking fizzy water at the same time. Can't stand the stuff now mind you, but I am eating like a horse to make up for my earlier disinterest.

MissyK Wed 10-Sep-08 16:07:13

Thanks Neerly3, I'll try that with dinner tonight! Glad to hear it improves )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now