Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is it possible to hear foetal heartbeat with just an ear?

(8 Posts)
barbareebaa Mon 08-Sep-08 19:51:05

Just wondering! Am 31 weeks pregnant and wondering if dh put his ear to my bump he would be able to hear lo's heartbeat.

Has anyone tried it?

Is it too early???

Thanks v. much smile

DartmoorMama Mon 08-Sep-08 19:52:06

No don't think so, Would probably hear your heartbeat.

Mamazon Mon 08-Sep-08 19:52:30

he may be able to hear something but i would imagine its more likely it would be your own heart beat echoing.

naturalblonde Mon 08-Sep-08 19:55:57

Have heard that if you lie in the bath with head (ears) underwater you can hear baby's heartbeat, but never worked for me.

lollipopmother Mon 08-Sep-08 20:01:04

My MW told me my DP should be able to hear the heartbeat if he used a toilet roll - didn't work though, think she was having me on and I fell for it! grin

barbareebaa Mon 08-Sep-08 20:33:25

grin

Ah. Maybe not then!! grin

or maybe need to lie in bath with toilet roll tube?

grin

notcitrus Tue 09-Sep-08 00:59:54

They use those metal funnels at my hospital rather than stethoscopes (mainly because the stethoscopes end up on Tooting market...) - maybe if you had some kind of metal or wood or plastic tube you might hear something?

Have to find the heart first, mind.

lollipopmother Tue 09-Sep-08 10:03:40

My MW found the hb with a plastic ear trumpet once, she said it was like she could actually feel the beat as well, hence our discussion about the loo roll! Incidentally, we did try with both a full loo roll and just the tube, but not whilst in the bath, however neither worked, haha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now