Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am I mad to plan a three day trip away to Cornwall with a month old baby?

(18 Posts)
Jane7 Mon 08-Sep-08 18:43:08

Before you tell me I am, I'm planning to go with my mum, who will drive there, while I sit in back with baby. It's a work-related thing that I've promised I'll do, but several people have looked at me like I'm stark raving. Has anyone done a trip in the UK with a very young baby before?

hoxtonchick Mon 08-Sep-08 18:46:14

we went to the gower for a weekend when dd was 4 weeks old (also had ds who was 3.5 yrs at the time). everyone thought we were mad, we went to a very old friends' party too. i just sat serenely and breastfed most of the time. so it was fine, but dd was 2nd child - is this your first? also, cornwall is pretty far away - where are you coming from? london to wales felt like a very long car journey....

lauraloola Mon 08-Sep-08 18:46:42

Make sure you plan it well but be prepared for some changes. Especially plan places to stop on the way. Take loads of everything and enjoy it!

Jane7 Mon 08-Sep-08 18:49:49

thanks hoxton chick and lauraloola
yes, it's my first baby, but i'm hoping with my mum's support should be ok...i'm based in london - east london actually, like you?! - so london to cornwall is a long way, but could stop in devon with my sister. do you think it's better to make it longer trip with stop on the way in devon, or do it shorter but with longer drive...?

strawberrycornetto Mon 08-Sep-08 18:52:31

We went from London to Cape Town for a long weekend when DS was 7 weeks grin.

It was fine, I think very small babies are the easiest to travel with!

Peachy Mon 08-Sep-08 18:55:29

5 days camping with a 5 week old in May, also had Mum there(plus sister, my dad, bil and my dh)

but this was my fourth- i'd be wary tbbh with a first, for a start couldnt you deliver late and have a two week old? That would be a no-no (not even allowed by law iirc first 2 weeks)

hoxtonchick Mon 08-Sep-08 18:57:20

east london rules . i'd stop in devon personally - make a holiday of it.

chandellina Mon 08-Sep-08 19:13:56

what's not allowed by law? driving in a car with a two week old? surely not?

Peachy Mon 08-Sep-08 19:26:22

LOL no- returning to work: health and safety (duidnt OP say was a work thing?)

although driving a car for 6 weeks post cs- any birth can end up cs- breeches insurance iirc?

but she said mum was driving

rainbowdays Mon 08-Sep-08 19:55:00

Took my first child away as a 2 week old, for week long holiday with family. Then when he was 6 weeks old moved house to another country... Believe me it is very easy to do, just as long as you are realistic about being a bit tired.

Going with one child is much easier than with more, so hope you get to enjoy the time away.

spicemonster Mon 08-Sep-08 20:03:51

I don't think getting there will be the issue but will you be expected to be apart from your baby once you're there?

Small babies are very portable indeed - I wish I'd taken more opportunity to go out to lunch etc when my DS was small and mainly sleeping!

hairymcleary Tue 09-Sep-08 05:09:19

We took DS from London to Poole to stay with BIL when he was 3 weeks old. As prev mentioned, plan where to stop. I was surprised at how much longer journey took, as had to keep stopping to feed DS, change nappies etc. Also be prepared to have the baby clamped to your boob permanently if breastfeeding!
We also went canal boating with DS when he was 6 weeks, but that's another story!!

Jane7 Tue 09-Sep-08 12:18:36

thanks for these tips - i think i'm going to do it, won't have to work much when there, just a one hour interview with owner of a hotel. hadn't thought that won't be able to breastfeed in the back of the car though - suppose that is totally illegal....

if i end up having c-section or baby is very late, i'll have to think again and cry off.

billyfish Tue 09-Sep-08 13:11:25

took third baby camping at five weeks to Dumfries in Scotland in May last year, was freezing thought i was a terrible mother, wrapped her in an upside down down north face gilet and fed her warm milk, she was fine....if you think its fine it is.....dont worry what others think.... also have driven loads from cumbria to london and never had any probs small baby slept a lot xxx

poppy34 Tue 09-Sep-08 13:14:21

took dd to paris when 4 weeks old - as others have said just be prepared to stop and feed etc but was actually ok (in fact just what was needed as was getting bit house bound)

KazzaL Tue 09-Sep-08 13:28:33

When DS1 was about 10days old, DH went out for the day - he had my permission wink and so I went down to his mum's for the day - normally 1hr drive from Gloucestershire to southampton, but the M4 was closed and it took almost 3 - DS1 started screaming at one point when we were stcuk in the jams, but I just sang to him and kept going - single carrigeway country A roads so couldn't have stopped anyway. We then took him to mid france when he was 6 weeks old - drove rather than flew so could stop frequently and take too much stuff - communicated via walkie-talkie with our friends in the other car - stopping for breaks is so much easier on french motorways as they have so many stopping areas. Then he came on guide camp for a week at 3mths old as well in the summer.

Babies should fit into your life to some extent and when they are so tiny they are so portable, once they start crawling & walking (and not sleeping in the car) it all gets more difficult so do whatever you want to while you can. I was stuck at home for the first 10 days after DS1 was born cos I got shingles and was desparate to get out by the time it scabbed over.

Good Luck for the trip

izzybiz Tue 09-Sep-08 16:22:22

We are going to Devon October 17th, baby is due Sept 20th.

We also took Dd to spain for 2 weeks when she was 8 weeks old, small babies are easy to travel with, just be prepared, we had a 15 hour delay on our flight out, and I was bottle feeding, Dh had to search airport for steri bottles and cartons of milk!!

MrsMattie Tue 09-Sep-08 16:23:01

I was travelling internationally with my baby at that age. You'll be fine, especially with your mum there! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now