Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First scan hell they can see "something";

(13 Posts)
broodymom Mon 08-Sep-08 16:01:11

My lmp was 22june so according to mw i'm 11+1 i have a long cycle 35-40 day ave so could be week or so either way. Today i had my first scan and she could see uterus and "something" in it and could be earlier than they thought, but "does not mean that there is def something wrong" !!!! now 2mrw i have to attend epu miles away as we only have community mw lead unit and their scanner is "playing up" i am sooo ill and sick with worry 2mrw seems like a lifetime away! has anyone else had problems with early/first scans? thanks.

ephrinedaily Mon 08-Sep-08 16:33:09

Hi Broodymum sorry you're having a scary time I've no experience of this but just bumping for you in case someone else has x

coolj Mon 08-Sep-08 16:47:10

Hi broodymom, dont know if this helps but I recently found out I was pregnant for the 4th time, totally unplanning and a major shock. I went to my booking appointment and MW said I was between 12 and 14 weeks as my fundus height was high and sent me for scan the next day. When scanned I was told I was only 8 weeks gone as the yolk sac was still visible and only had a BEAN sized baby. Try not to stress and take each day as it comes. Chances are you are just not as far gone as you think. Best of luck is with you anyway for 2moro. smile

broodymom Mon 08-Sep-08 16:52:02

Thanks i'm trying to prepare myself for 2mrw had a little cry about it now i have to get on with things and wait to see what 2mrw brings. xx

Millie26 Mon 08-Sep-08 17:34:00

Hello, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I had a really crap first few weeks.

My doctor 'doesnt believe' in charting so I knew I was 4 weeks, not even that (got bfp at 9dpo) and she thought I should be 7 wks so got rushed into hospital with suspected ectopic as I had an 'unidentified mass with a cystic centre' which they thoguht was the baby only for, 2 wks later, it to turn out I had a perfectly viable pregnancy they just couldnt see yet.

The doctors said there was no chance it would be ok as had this mass and there was 'nothing' in uterus.

Was rubbish - just had 12 wk scan. Basically dont give up hope. Bodies are weird and periods are the most unreliable things ever I think!

Let us know how it works out - good luck...

broodymom Mon 08-Sep-08 20:47:05

Thanks, i think they might try a vaginal scan i have talked to a girl i know who had something similar unfortunatley she has mc sad i guess i just have to wait and see the worst thing is i have terrible all day & night sickness and my breasts are killing me and now it may be for no reason sad.

rrrayray Mon 08-Sep-08 21:22:15

Broodymom - When i went for an early Scan, We had one done privately as the baby was sooo wanted, and despite the pg test, we wanted to be sure all was OK....

Anyway my dates made me 8/9 weeks.... But when i had the scan, there was only the TINIEST sac of fluid, and they said i was 6 weeks at MOST. They thought they could see a heartbeat, but i couldn't see a thing.

at 12 weeks everything was tickey boo and i'm now 20 weeks.

So fingers crossed, just like me, your dates are out/ the sperm & Egg took their time, or something like that!!!

Fingers crossed for you!!!!

ps, The sickness is a GOOD sign.... i had AWFUL morning sickness- the Sickness is a sign everything fingers crossed is going well!!

xx

broodymom Tue 09-Sep-08 16:20:20

Thanks everyone for all your messages rrrayray you where right i went to my scan this morning and the sonographer (sp!) saw the heartbeat and baby right away it turns out i'm 8+3 weeks!! couldent help crying and the mw was brill they are going to deal with me from now on rather than our rural cmu as they have better scanning equipment and facilities. grin xx

Millie26 Tue 09-Sep-08 17:03:29

yay! grin

rrrayray Tue 09-Sep-08 17:13:54

Great news! xx

electra Tue 09-Sep-08 17:27:19

I honestly think very early scans cause a lot of unnecessary worry for some people. I have had this kind of thing happen to me twice now. When I was pregnant with dd2 I had a scan at about 7 weeks where they couldn't see a heart beat yet, and it was suggested that I should come back soon for another scan as I might not have a viable pregnancy. I decided to leave it and at 12 weeks everything was fine.

I'm pregnant again now and I had a scan very early on to rule out ectopic pregnancy. All they could see was a small sack, which I was not surprised about because I had only tested positive 10 days earlier!! Suddenly I was talking to a consultant who explained that I'd probably had a miscarriage because the level of HCG in my blood suggested a pregnancy far more advanced than 5 weeks and that they should be able to see a heart beat by now. I said 'yes but I only showed up positive 10 days ago - tests before that did not detect HCG yet' she didn't seem to understand my point!

Anyway, today I had a scan and everything looks ok with the baby but although I'm 9 weeks the heart beat was only just visible. I have a deeply retroverted uterus and because of this it is harder to see what's inside - this is quite common I believe.

I just think it's a shame that a lot of people end up feeling sick with worry when there's no need and in the first trimester anything can happen anyway iyswim...

electra Tue 09-Sep-08 17:27:56

Btw broodymum I'm glad you had good news! smile

broodymom Tue 09-Sep-08 21:11:43

I agree electra i would never have wanted an early scan either, and they have told me my uterus tilts the wrong way also. I feel really sorry for anyone who goes through early pregnancy worries its not nice. x

Thanks again all for your help & messages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now