Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Stupid pregnancy question #557 - if I'm more PG than I thought and go overdue by 2 weeks from date given by hospital, will the placenta still work properly ? i.e. if I'm 3-4 weeks over rather than 1-2

(20 Posts)
MamaG Mon 08-Sep-08 12:19:31

Background: First baby (DD) always measured small at scans/fundal height etc then got big towards end of pg, was 8lb 4oz when born at 40+10

This baby: wildly unsure of dates, so relying on dating scan - they've given me due date of 30/10 but are now saying baby is bigger than average (am 32 weeks) - what if I'm more pg than we thought and when they scanned me at the beginning and said I was 6 weeks, I was actually more but this baby is just a slow starter re growth like DD was? Am I making sense?

I've gone overdue with both previous pgs and MWs think its very likely I'll go over again - they induce at 14 days over but what if I'm almost 4 weeks overdue by then, rather than 2 weeks over? Will the placenta still work properly?

lollipopmother Mon 08-Sep-08 13:44:22

I really don't know about this - I am having the same sort of niggling worries about whether I should get an induction or just get monitored. I got an email from babycentre about expectant management, which explained it a bit, but obviously does not mention going as far over as you. I think that the placenta starts to degrade after 37 weeks, with a larger step after 42 weeks, however with expectant management you are monitored daily to check the function of the placenta. Maybe your MW could monitor you earlier if you ask her?

lollipopmother Mon 08-Sep-08 13:45:18

Sorry, that was quite a lame response really. sad

saralou Mon 08-Sep-08 13:49:30

scans tend to be more accurate at 6 weeks than they are at 32 weeks.

you need to speak to your midwife really.

MamaG Mon 08-Sep-08 13:57:05

Yes, I'm booked in with MW next week so can discuss it with her then.

You know when you get these niggles though...!

Thanks for replies.

dinkystinky Mon 08-Sep-08 13:59:54

MamaG - if you're really worried, you can ask for periodic monitoring from 38 weeks (to make sure baby is ok in there etc.). Hopefully your midwife will be able to put your fears to rest - or advise you accordingly.

stillstanding Mon 08-Sep-08 14:00:32

I thought that a scan could pick up on the state of your placenta at the end? I know a friend had a scan at 40 weeks and they said it was in bad shape and she had to be induced then and there and not wait. But I am sure your midwife will know what to do. This must happen all the time.

MamaG Mon 08-Sep-08 14:10:34

Yes you're (both) right

SheBangsTheDrums Mon 08-Sep-08 14:11:40

No helpful response I'm afraid but I was in the same position as you last year.

My dates were put back by 3 weeks at my 12 week scan, making the date I conceived the day I had a +test!
I was really concerned that if I went 2 weeks over I'd actually be 5 weeks over.
I fully intended to speak to the midwife at my 38 week appointment, however, DD was born at "36" weeks!!
I then had all the trouble of convincing HVs and MWs she wasn't 4 weeks early!!

saralou Mon 08-Sep-08 14:25:48

maybe your just having a big baby (something else to worry about )

scans at this stage aren't accurate enough.. my sister was told her ds1 would be over 10lbs... he was 8lb8oz... her dd was supposed to be big too, but was smaller than her ds!

MamaG Mon 08-Sep-08 22:41:35

I think I'm just fretting about nothing (possibly!)

DD and DS were both quite big (8 4 and 8 9) so no reason why thsi baby would be a tiddler.

Will speak to MW and let her know I get hysterical a tad anxious towards the end of pregnancies!

lollipopmother Tue 09-Sep-08 10:05:32

MamaG - I'm hoping it's natural to slowly lose it at the end of a pregnancy because I'm starting to think of all sorts of utter rubbish. I was totally sane until I went overdue, now I'm starting to wonder whether I should admit myself to the local nut-house!

MamaG Tue 09-Sep-08 14:15:30

save me the bed next to you then lolly

LeonieD Tue 09-Sep-08 14:33:18

Message withdrawn

lollipopmother Tue 09-Sep-08 14:51:53

Maybe we could all go private then and get a discount!

AtheneNoctua Tue 09-Sep-08 14:52:03

I also would worry about the placenta deteriorating thing. I would never allow a pregnancy to pass 41 weeks for this reason. However, a six week is pretty accurate on the development. I would be confident with that date.

You could ask to be induced at 40 weeks (keeping in mind it might be 42 weeks if the scan is wrong).

It would be interesting, I suppose, to know what the accuracy is of a 6 week dating scan.

lollipopmother Tue 09-Sep-08 14:59:22

Lulumama - I think you might be the person who could answer this question - how good is being monitored daily? As in, is it still a bit risky, or is being monitored once every 24hrs sufficient to pick up anything that is wrong? If for instance I walked out of the hospital and my placenta packed up within the hour, how long can the baby manage without it?

lulumama Tue 09-Sep-08 15:22:28

lollipop, i cannot really answer that, it is almost how long is a piece of string..

placentas do not start to deteriorate or fail completely on a set date.

some will go until 42 + weeks, some are ropey at 38 weeks.

expectant management should be enough, and keeping an eye on how many movements you get, plus of course any bleeding, sharp pains, dark fluid loss...

40 weeks is an estimated due date.

it is your call , your decision to make with your caregivers, but most hospitals would agree that term + 10 is safe.

lollipopmother Tue 09-Sep-08 15:42:46

Ok, thanks Lulu, I have been keeping a kick diary so that's cool. I shall wait and see, I have a sweep tomorrow which is bound to work, so I have no idea why I am worrying anyway! wink As I said .... feeling pathetic!

MamaG Tue 09-Sep-08 17:14:52

lolly - I had a sweep with DS at 40+10 which worked a treat. Good luck!

(thanks for post lulu, as you keep reminding me, I might well pop him out at 38 weeks (lol if I do, I'm finishing work on the day I'm 38 weeks grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now