Talk

Advanced search

Oddest thing is happening to my face....

(23 Posts)
blossom2 Tue 22-Feb-05 11:41:33

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, but the strangest/oddest thing is happening to my face.

Basically the skin has gone all flaky and really dry. it only started happening last night. my skin is normally combination and oily so this is really strange. i've put on loads of E45 cream and its improved a little bit but my forehead is still flaky.

Is this an odd pregnancy side-effect or a sign of something more serious??? has anyone else experienced this??

many thanks

Kelly1978 Tue 22-Feb-05 11:53:34

I've been suffering really badly from dry skin during pg, using loads of moisteriser, so you're not the only one. I have no idea what causes it though.

orangina Tue 22-Feb-05 11:54:38

blossom2, my face has gone really dry and odd in places, mostly just on my cheekbones and a bit on my chin, flaky too..... I found that if I drank more water and put a bit of almond oil on the affected areas, it would help. Definitely upping the fluid intake helped.... good luck!

NomDePlume Tue 22-Feb-05 12:09:22

I think dermatological changes are fairly common in pregnancy, if it really does worry you then see your GP/midwife/practice nurse for reassurance.

Gobbledigook Tue 22-Feb-05 12:15:07

I had it too just on one side of my face and it got quite spotty too (well, more like bumpy iykwim). It's not cleared up fully either and ds3 is now 5.5 months old - I think it can take 8-10 months for the body to return to 'normal' though so I'm not panicking yet!

beansprout Tue 22-Feb-05 12:16:39

I drank LOADS of water during pregnancy which helped I think. If you can hydrate your skin from the inside, it is a much better option. HTH.

batters Tue 22-Feb-05 13:10:10

blossom2, this happened to my friend during her first pregnancy (and returned for her two other ones). She got diagnosed as having excema on her face.

Leogaela Tue 22-Feb-05 15:04:56

Me too, I am usually a bit oily/combination but I have also suffered from really dry skin. It was flaky in places for a while but improved and I have ended up having the best looking complexion that I can ever remember having. I haven't had any spots for months and months... some people say that dry skin is the sign that you are having a boy.... I'll let you know within the next few weeks!

Homsa Tue 22-Feb-05 15:39:04

Not on my face, but all the way through pregnancy the skin under my armpits, under my breasts and on my ribcage was unbelievably dry and flaky. So much so that I couldn't bear to use any deodorant, which probably wasn't too nice for the people around me! Everything was back to normal within a couple of weeks after the birth.

Oh, and I did go on to have a boy!

NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Feb-05 15:42:03

With both my pregnancies, my skin went from oily to dry. I had to slather on moisturizer, which I don't normally use at all.

Annoyingly, 5 months after DS2's birth, I'm still dry and itchy. I'm hoping the end of the winter will stop it.

blossom2 Tue 22-Feb-05 22:12:22

Its great to know i'm not the only one with dry skin. I looked like a snake this morning the way my skin was peeling off and flaking.

I'm going to continue to use the E45 for a few more days and mention it at the next doctors appt.

thanks again ladies xxx

Miaou Tue 22-Feb-05 22:31:56

Me too, blossom - my skin is dry and flaky, and also I have bright red spots covering the whole of my cheeks, the bridge of my nose, and my forehead! I look like I have been badly burned! I am lathering on moisturiser day and night which is helping with the dry and flaky stuff, but nothing will shift the redness (I'm even considering wearing makeup, which I haven't worn for years!). Let me know if you get any good advice - I kept getting strange looks in town today...

blossom2 Tue 22-Feb-05 22:33:57

I've got red cheeks and they are getting worse. I also appear more pale than before (i'm chinese) so i look really funny.

aren't we in the same ante-natal club???

Miaou Tue 22-Feb-05 22:34:55

Certainly are, bloss!

LGJ Tue 22-Feb-05 22:36:27

Are all you dry skins posters drinking enough water ??

Miaou Tue 22-Feb-05 22:37:27

Funny you should mention that LGJ, I saw that comment further down the thread and thought, aha...

blossom2 Tue 22-Feb-05 22:38:14

i'm drinking about 1.5 litres of evian a day. its just a sudden symptom as well. my skins was fine last week and now its just gone 'alien'.

sallystrawberry Tue 22-Feb-05 22:38:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LGJ Tue 22-Feb-05 22:39:13

Memo to self....... do not speed read and then post duplicate info

sallystrawberry Tue 22-Feb-05 22:39:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blossom2 Tue 22-Feb-05 22:41:12

i'm secretly getting excited that baby might be a boy ....

Miaou Tue 22-Feb-05 22:41:50

Don't worry LGJ, I need to hear things at least twice atm ... pg brain an' all that ...

Kelly1978 Tue 22-Feb-05 23:18:20

I'm drinkign loads of water, and still have dry skin, and I'm expecting two boys - maybe there is some truth in it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now