Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnant and extra salvia issue

(9 Posts)
Shell001 Sun 07-Sep-08 21:59:23

Hi,

This is my second pregnancy and I have the same problem again with excess saliva which is causing me to spit out alot which isnt pleasant for me and others.

Anyone else have this problem in early pregnancy I have morning sickness too and this is a condition that has a name ...

RandZsMummy Sun 07-Sep-08 22:10:30

I have the exact same problem and its driving me insane! Im 12 weeks pregnant with dc 3 and never experienced this in my last 2 pregnancies (did have a lot of sickness tho) I have a old tupperware box that I have to walk around with around the house to spit in and its not pleasant at all, feel to self conscious to do that when out tho and have found that sucking on a boiled sweet or chewing on some chewing gum does help a bit. How long did you have it for last time? ive had it since I was about 6 weeks and have still got it just as bad now.

Diege Sun 07-Sep-08 22:33:25

I've had this in all 3 pregnancies - it does have a fancy name starting with a 'p' I think, and tends to be associated with women who have severe morning sickness according to the lit' . I had a glass that I used to spit into at home, but when at work had to resort to pretending to cough into a tissue so that I could get rid of the saliva! Truly awful - I'd forgotten about it until I read this thread!

Diege Sun 07-Sep-08 22:35:13

ptyalism I think!!

Shell001 Mon 08-Sep-08 14:15:29

Thats it ...

Yes I had this last pregnancy and again finding it hard to to hide such a strange symptom from others Im glad im not alone. I think Im 11wks or 12wks and this only came on last week and last time I had it for weeks but was really sick in bed for 6 weeks then.
Ive been using towels muslins and find it hard to go out and have work at end of week ...
My lips are red and dry ...

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 14:18:14

i think there are sprays you can get that dry out your mouth. things like cream crackers may help temporarily. mine isn't as severe but do dribble at night and sometimes spit at people a bit when I talk.

Cosmogirl Mon 08-Sep-08 15:20:33

A lady I used to work with had this in her first trimester and used to carry a cup around with her which she would spit into in front of people. She also used to put the cup in the company dishwasher, which didn't go down to well...

Shell001 Tue 09-Sep-08 13:44:53

Ooooooo nice

ajm200 Tue 09-Sep-08 15:14:54

I didn't have this with my first pregnancy but seem to have been struck by it at night in the last week (now 34 weeks). I keep finding a damp patch on the pillow where I've been drooling. It's a pain isn't it.

I'm planning a hypnobirth so if it works I will be out of it and look asleep through labour. I just hope I don't spend the whole time drooling like a boxer dog.. shudder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now