Talk

Advanced search

To buy or not to buy..........cot bumpers.

(31 Posts)
babylove123 Sun 07-Sep-08 13:30:17

Hi,

Ok, first time mum here who has had a lot of people doing the "this is what we did....." thing to her. Cot bumpers......have heard good and bad things.....help!

Do they have a particular use? What are they for (i am asuming some form of protection from the bars) but are they more of a "pretty thing"?

Have had many people say that they are bad because they restrict the air flow in the cot.....

Please help me! Am finishing my nursery off for my baby due in Nov and i've hit a stop sign on this part!

Thanks!

Yurtgirl Sun 07-Sep-08 13:32:44

definately an unecessary pretty extra

They warm up the cot, reduce air circulation and baby can get tangled up in it. You have to remove them later in case they use them as a climbing device

Waste of money dont bother!

HTH

IdrisTheDragon Sun 07-Sep-08 13:32:46

I never had them for DS or DD - I think they're a "pretty" thing that isn't recommended for under 6 months, or from when they can move, which doesn't leave a wide range of time to use them

crokky Sun 07-Sep-08 13:33:30

I have never had one for my children. Haven't missed them! You have to take them off at a certain stage though (can't remember when) so I wouldn't bother.

WorzselMummage Sun 07-Sep-08 14:11:10

We had them as dd was in our room for 12 months and we felt they afforded us a bit of, ahem, privacy.

BellaMummy Sun 07-Sep-08 14:41:32

I have one in dd's cot, but just at one end, with the other end open for air circulation. My dd moves around her cot a lot during the night and it saves her bumping her head. I had read the pros and cons of using them and decided I still wanted to. Maybe hold off and see how much your baby ends up rolling around when they are a little older.

MingMingtheWonderPet Sun 07-Sep-08 14:43:53

not buy

aurorec Sun 07-Sep-08 14:51:21

I'm the same as Bella- my DD used to crawl up on her back and end up with her head against the top of the crib- saved us a bump or 2- plus always useful against drafts!

And when she was older (she slept in our room for 8 months) it would give us more privacy!

aurorec Sun 07-Sep-08 14:52:26

Just wanted to add I had never read any cons?

Heated Sun 07-Sep-08 14:56:30

It looked pretty. It was a waste of money. DCs always used to find the part of the cot without a cot bumper - maybe they liked to coolness of the sides, who knows?

I bought many things that were a complete waste of money blush that I was convinced were vital but really were pointless. I blame pg hormones and all the baby bumph you get sent through the post!

SmugColditz Sun 07-Sep-08 14:59:36

YOu cant use them until 6 months in case they suffocate hmm

You can't use them after about 8 months in case they climb out.[more realistic]

Just spend the money on slutty shoes and gin.

celerystick Sun 07-Sep-08 15:02:16

I used them since birth for both my DC's and I've never had any issues with them. I never felt they impeded circulation as the DC's rooms are always well ventilated. Both my DC's liked to hurl themselves around the cot and often banged their heads so the bumpers acted as a soft barrier. Just make sure you tie them securely and they are fine.

funnypeculiar Sun 07-Sep-08 15:08:21

Things may have changed since I looked into them (for work, not my kids), but I think colditz is right.
Not recommended for younger than 6 months - babies of that age struggle to regulate their heat (with overheating more of a danger than being too cold ito sids). Cot bumpers make the area near the head warmer. Plus risk of strangulation from the cords if they come untied
Not recommended for older children who can untie them/chew cords etc.

Obviously, all of those risks are minimal, but given that the worst that can happen if you don't have them is a bumped head, I wouldn't bother.

SmugColditz Sun 07-Sep-08 15:10:39

Now look here.

There will be precious little left just for you when you've had the baby.

SLUTTY SHOES AND GIN!

MrsBadger Sun 07-Sep-08 15:33:33

they are crap for all the reasons already mentioned and I swore I'd never have one, but eventually we bought one to cushion dd's head-thumping whilst teething (£7 unbleached cotton ikea job)

never mind the slutty shoes, spend it on Sky+ and gin, both of which you will certainly need postpartum.

poppy34 Sun 07-Sep-08 15:44:48

would echo the sentiment re sky plus post partum (also one of those poncey stay hot cups from starbucks or wherever unless you are happy to spend some months never having a hot cup of coffee/tea) -also have the cheapy ikea bumpers but may remove as dd not showing any signs of head bumping

kraftwerkkittie Sun 07-Sep-08 19:57:35

ha. wow, i love smugcolditz now

largeoneplease Sun 07-Sep-08 20:17:23

NO NO NO. Almost everything we "have" to buy to kit out the house for a newborn is a waste of money. At best, they have no useful purpose, IMO and at worst they could be dangerous, as others have said.

TheHedgeWitch Sun 07-Sep-08 20:22:18

Message withdrawn

babyinbelly Sun 07-Sep-08 20:23:03

I had one that a friend gave me one. I used it in winter as my house had no heating at the time and was freezing cold. Helped to keep warm. Also had it on the feet end as I worried about feet getting stuck through the bars. Wouldn't have spent money on it though. I found it was too long for my cot and was saggy and bunched up!

Good if you can get one 2nd hand

reban Sun 07-Sep-08 20:30:30

i used one with all three of mine but they were all wrigglers and i based it on preventing them getting hands and feet stuck inbetween bars and to prevent massive head bumps. However i gave the last one away and as we are on a budget this time i wont rush out to replace it as not essential

mylovelymonster Sun 07-Sep-08 20:32:01

We installed cot bumper once DD was able to roll over and started pulling herself up. Saved a lot of head-bumping. Only useful for a few months tho.

celerystick Sun 07-Sep-08 20:38:02

I never used a Moses basket before so just wondering how different that is to using a cot with bumpers? Can babies overheat in the Moses basket or are they made of special breathable stuff?

mylovelymonster Sun 07-Sep-08 20:59:20

I think the difference is the polyester wadding in the bumper. MBs usually natural weave with cotton liner.

theauthor Sun 07-Sep-08 21:47:18

No don't waste your money on them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now