Talk

Advanced search

perineum massage - useful or not?

(14 Posts)
motherpeculiar Mon 21-Feb-05 21:58:10

it's my second pregnancy - with DD1 we did perimeum massage for the last couple of weeks and I only had a 1 degree tear which wasn't too bad afterwards.

Do we need to do it again this time around or is everything stretched enough (yuck, sorry) for it not to make any difference. I've heard conflicting views and am interested in what anyone thinks.

DH would be eternally grateful if y'all say no btw as he finds it all VERY tedious (poor him is all I can say!)

pupuce Mon 21-Feb-05 22:00:23

Studies I read say that if you had 1 vaginal birth already you have no increased liklehood to tear wether or not you did the massage. There is significant differenc if it is your first birth though... so worth it for a first vaginak birth, less so for number 2.

lilsmum Mon 21-Feb-05 22:12:15

i would say do it again tbh, i suffered a 3rd degree tear with my dd, i did no massaging at all, i thought it was gross!!! but believe me i would definately do it if/when i get pregnant with no 2!!even if there was only a 5 % chance it would minimise!!!

motherpeculiar Tue 22-Feb-05 10:02:54

thanks guys - so looks like it wouldn't be a bad idea but not quite as necessary as with pg no. 1

hmm, will weigh it up and see if I'll inflict it on DH this time round...

latwinkle1 Wed 23-Feb-05 14:39:27

Have tried it once and spent the day sliding around!!!!! is it better to do it at night? and haow often/near to birth?

Catbert Wed 23-Feb-05 14:44:48

When I first read up about this, I had visions of it just being a nice rub with oil on a daily basis (DH offering to help if needs be ) but when the midwife gave me the details, and I realised it was all about oiling and stretching your vagina opening with your fingers, and after trying it once, I decided it was a) too difficult to reach properly and b) bloody hurt when I did manage to contort my burgeoning body to reach!

motherpeculiar Wed 23-Feb-05 15:38:52

I think you gotta get someone else to help. A bit ick but then just think about what they'll bear witness to during delivery. My DH found it painful on his thumbs (oh, poor love!) but persevered.

I definitely think it is well worth doing this if it's your first time. Just wondering whether I have to persaude DH to get stuck in again this time round (just realised that sounds a bit gross - sorry )

I probably will, just cos the thought of a bad tear makes me terrified (and I'm a bit of a sadist - he should NEVER have told me it made his thumbs ache )

motherpeculiar Wed 23-Feb-05 15:40:41

sorry latwinkle - forgot to respond to your qs

I think bedtime is the best time - the oil can soak in and do its biz overnight, and it avoids sliding about syndrome

I think we did it last time from about 35 weeks and it did seem to help (although who knows really)

HunkerMunker Wed 23-Feb-05 15:43:25

Motherpeculiar...not surprised you don't have much sympathy for his 'poor thumbs'!! Had a second-degree tear myself and will be making DH's thumbs hurt if I have another one I think given the choice, they'd rather have sore thumbs than their bits torn, wouldn't they? So there!

HunkerMunker Wed 23-Feb-05 15:43:48

Another pregnancy, not tear - that sounds weird reading it back!!

motherpeculiar Wed 23-Feb-05 15:47:22

I'm right with you on this one HunkerMunker - next time he mentions his sensitive thumbs I'll quote you - he is even more sensitive about his bits

Steppy1 Wed 23-Feb-05 16:33:02

HI, hope you don't mind me joining your conversation...YES YES YES to perineum massage, either yourself (if you can contort to the right position) or getting partner to do it. It's how you do it that makes the difference, not just about slapping a bit of oil on then rubbing around a bit, if you know what I mean and from 34 weeks onwards is best . If you'd like a detailed sheet on "how to" request one via The having a Baby Company on www.thehavingababycompany.co.uk ...we'll send one free of charge !!!!

motherpeculiar Thu 24-Feb-05 12:35:17

thanks Streppy

have just requested a copy of the leaflet - I reckon DH will need reminding!

Flumpette Mon 16-May-05 20:13:13

Hi All. In my first pregnancy I could hardly reach the area and after labour I howled with laughter (some days after) at my stupidity as it made no difference at all and I had to have a huge episiotomy which just made a mockery of the whole thing and I felt cheated of all the hours I'd spent massaging! However, that's just my experience, but I won't be bothering with all that this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now