Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is 32 weeks too early for an NCT class?

(34 Posts)
terf Fri 05-Sep-08 22:25:40

Because of miscommunication with the NCT people all the December classes in West London are booked up (even though we contacted them in early June) - they only had classes available end of November when I'll be 32 weeks. Is that too early? I'm worried that all the other mums will be due far earlier than me and that might get in the way of postnatal meet ups. The NCT coordinator said "it should be OK" and recommended if I wanted I could go to a class in the week before I was due - no thanks! So was wondering whats the normal time people attend NCT/antenatal classes?

MarsLady Fri 05-Sep-08 22:28:38

No that's fine because you would finish at 38 weeks (if it is a 6 week course).

Even if you do finish ages before your Estimated Due Date you will have hopefully made some new friends and be learnt a lot about birth and life afterwards. smile

hester Fri 05-Sep-08 22:34:48

I can't remember what stage I was when I went to NCT classes - probably around 34 weeks - but I was definitely the least advanced there. It did feel slightly strange when they all went and popped without me, then started meeting up with their babies when I was still expecting, but that passed very quickly.

I still meet up with all of them, three years on. If November is all that's available, just go for it and don't worry about the early/late stuff. This is your chance to join a dating agency for mummy friends; don't miss out on it smile

terf Fri 05-Sep-08 22:37:20

The course will be held over 2 weeks - so wont be that much further along. I'm still going along to it as have paid already! Just think some people might gasp that I'll be due so much later than them... Oh well hope there are some nice people there - feels like Freshers week at uni.

hester Fri 05-Sep-08 22:52:28

It will be fine, honest. You'll still have enough brainpower to actually absorb the information, unlikely those who are 39 weeks and not getting any sleep and too busy obsessing about ironing teacloths to think about birth positions grin

Now I think about it, there was one woman less pregnant than me - and she ended up giving birth before anyone, soon after the course finished (I only did a weekend course, btw). So you never know... you may end up grateful you went early.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 05-Sep-08 22:58:20

I'm doing a refresher class this coming Tuesday and I'll only be 31 weeks, but it was the only one that was being run in this area. It hadn't even crossed my mind that it was too far away from my EDD.

I'm sure it'll be fine and you will still see them afterwards at the local PN groups as well.

hester Fri 05-Sep-08 23:04:59

If you like any of them, get their phone numbers NOW. You'll really need them afterwards!

I was lucky enough to like all of the others, though now enough (I thought then) to bother keeping in touch. One of them made the effort, and I'm so very glad she did - they've become among my most loved and valued friends.

hester Fri 05-Sep-08 23:05:38

Though, living in West London (as you do) you'll find that they all emigrate/leave London pretty damn quick.

bellabelly Fri 05-Sep-08 23:10:43

I went to nct classes in w london (they were in Chiswick) and am pretty sure that most of us were only about 32 weeks - the classes were held over a weekend and then there was a separate bit about breastfeeding a week later. I was panicking cos I thought I should have been doing them EARLIER!

bellabelly Fri 05-Sep-08 23:11:36

Hester grin - one year on and nobody from our group has moved - YET!

hester Fri 05-Sep-08 23:37:16

Ah, you wait till they get pg with number two, bellabelly...

bellabelly Sat 06-Sep-08 00:44:55

Was going to argue but suspect you are probably right!

spiceofthesouth Sat 06-Sep-08 01:16:28

i kept in touch with two girls i met at mine. theyve been really good friends other since, even more so since me and dh split.

CantSleepWontSleep Sat 06-Sep-08 05:43:40

I finished my course 2 entire calendar months before I had dd. I was the last one due of the regular attendees, and the others all had their babies early, whereas mine was late! Doesn't matter a jot. 4 of us are still in regular contact and meet up.

bikerunski Sat 06-Sep-08 09:31:11

I was about 30 weeks when we started NCT classes (35 weeks when we finished). The class was for August/Sept due dates. Some of the babies are here now, and some still expected, so we are in a bit of a limbo state, but I have made some god friends. At the mo I am one of the "childless" but have several new friends to go to Aquanatal and lunch with during these first few weeks of mat leave.

caramelbunny Sat 06-Sep-08 11:36:58

Definitely not too late. Finished my last class when I was 32 weeks and had baby 4 days later! Had booked onto NHS classes and breastfeeding workshops which didn't start til 38 weeks so too late for me. In our NCT class, births were spread over a 2-3 month period and was fine.

madmarriedNika Sat 06-Sep-08 20:23:02

Agree- definitely not too late, as you can never really know when your baby will arrive (though of course hopefully it will be after 37 weeks!). I made one class at 29 weeks (went v early due to probs with fitting a later one around work) and had DS at 30 weeks shock- so never have completed an antenatal course (now have 2 DCs, seem to be surviving...!)

funnypeculiar Sat 06-Sep-08 20:26:28

I went to my first at 34 weeks. And gave birth 2 days later grin

It meant I ended up with a baby that was 'officially' about 8 weeks older than anyone else's (i had the first due date anyway). Which mattered for maybe 2 months. After that, made no difference.
Seeing one of them next week (our dcs are now starting school)

ReallyTired Sat 06-Sep-08 22:09:12

Babies don't always follow time tables. I went to my fist NCT class at 32 weeks. My baby was born at 37 weeks and turned up to the last ante natal class. He was 10 days old and slept through most of it.

sarah76 Sun 07-Sep-08 13:25:28

I asked for info on the NCT class for mums due in May 2009, and they sent me joining stuff with the class dates 24th and 27th of April! Seeing as I'm due 3rd of May, isn't that way too late? I reckon I'd rather go before 36 weeks or even a little earlier just to be sure.

elkiedee Mon 08-Sep-08 12:25:53

I'm doing a course at the same time as OP, about 31 weeks I think (but in a different area of London). Presumably you're due January? They're not going to be running classes over the Christmas holiday period, so I would imagine lots of people will be at a similar stage to you for that reason.

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 12:29:08

early is good. i'd recommend meeting up regularly while you all have your bumps, we got thursdays going and still meet on thursday 16 months later...

terf Mon 08-Sep-08 12:40:19

Yeah I'm due in Jan elkiedee, we didnt think they were doing any courses in Dec but then spoke to another person at the NCT who said they had a few Dec courses but they are all booked out. Strange as they werent advertised online and the West London coordinator we contacted said there werent any... who knows? Think from all the responses though going at 32 weeks should be fine

elkiedee Mon 08-Sep-08 12:43:34

terf, you'll have to come and talk to us on the due in Jan thread, there's quite a few London pepole on this one though scattered around the city.

fourlittlefeet Mon 08-Sep-08 12:55:52

lol elkie, I was about to say that too! terf come and join us here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now