Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pelvic floor - worth doing b4 birth 2nd time mummy???

(4 Posts)
Sophie2 Fri 05-Sep-08 20:48:20

ok, I was quite obsessive about pelvic floors before having my DS 11 months ago but have been fairly slack since, although have no great problems. I am wondering whether I am better off not doing them before the birth of my 2nd baby in the hope that the exit may be a little easier! and concentrating on them after the birth? Any thoughts?

ajm200 Fri 05-Sep-08 20:55:05

Last time my midwife told me that they are important for more than just future incontinence. They also increase blood flow to that area, if practiced regularly the increase blood flow makes it easier for the skin to stretch avoiding tears.

I'm only small, 5.5 and managed to give birth to a 8 4lb baby quickly despite doing about 150 pelvic floor lifts a day and didn't have any tears.

Sophie2 Fri 05-Sep-08 21:01:52

Well no tears....thats got to be encouraging! i am also 5.5 and DS 6lbs 12, and found the pushing really hard and it took forever, so I was wondering whether it because my pelvic muscles were too strong!!! Thanks!

hatcam Fri 05-Sep-08 21:03:16

do them, do them, do them - every day whether you think you need to or not. A strong pelvic floor can contribute to an easier exit not the other way round. Strong pelvic floor is a good start to getting abdominal strength and shape back afterwards.

plus weak pelvic floor is the biggest contributor to urinary incontinence in later life, no wonder Tena Lady is making so much money smile

oh and don't forget strong pelvic floor leads (apparently) to better orgasms wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now