Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

early scans

(13 Posts)
karma Fri 05-Sep-08 13:22:43

As I've suffered from 4 mc I have been keen to get an early scan this pregnancy for reassurance (I'm 8 weeks and we saw our little bean yesterday with its heart pounding away, thank god). I would like another scan at 10 and 12 weeks but am a bit worried about a comment made on another thread about not having too many early scans as they could be dangerous. I thought they were completely safe. Any one know any more about this? Has anyone had several early scans?

belgo Fri 05-Sep-08 13:26:22

I had two miscarriages and am know 8 months pregnant again. During this pregnancy I had a scan at 8 weeks and then one at 12, and ones at 20 and 30 weeks.

That's certainly not too many!

I really don't think they are dangerous, but I also feel that they should be done for a valid reason and not just for fun. The scan I had at 8 weeks wasn't really medically necessary, but it certainly helped reassure me and helped me relax, which was probably benenficial to me and the baby.

mylovelymonster Fri 05-Sep-08 13:30:14

I had one at 9 weeks (because of previous missed MC), and another at 11.5 weeks (for nuchal measurements to test for Downs due to my advanced years grin) - then was confident to wait for 20 week scan (I think). I didn't think there were any risks involved????

What happened with your MCs - if you don't mind me asking? Were they very early? Seeing heartbeat at 8 weeks very positive. Is there any reason why you think you need additional scans?
Wishing you every success xxxxxxx

WorzselMummage Fri 05-Sep-08 13:30:45

I ahve had 3 miscarriages and am 10 weeks pregnant, i have had 2 scans already and am having another next week, no-ones mentioned anything about it being to many.

Women who are pregnancy with multiples can have scans every 2 weeks throughout their pregnancy so i wouldnt worry to much.

mrsgboring Fri 05-Sep-08 13:30:45

I think that various obstetric bodies were extremely conservative about scanning when it first came in (ACOG for example) but now I don't think anyone is concerned.

Last pg I had scans at 8 weeks, then 20, 24 and four-weekly till the end when I had lots. It was fine.

I expect you know that a heartbeat at 8 weeks is a very very good sign - equivalent to reaching 12 weeks of pregnancy safely in terms of risk of loss. I don't know if that helps you.

belgo Fri 05-Sep-08 13:32:34

but the sonographer did say one interesting thing during my eight week scan - that although they can see the heartbeat, they didn't want to listen to it as that may upset the baby.

cmotdibbler Fri 05-Sep-08 13:33:09

As long as the ultrasound unit is in good condition, checked regularly, and the scan is done for the minimum amount of time necessary its fine.

There are some risks from ultrasound, but only at high intensities and when done for long periods. I really don't think that the aesthetic scans done by these standalone baby photo places are a good thing - and its interesting that the American FDA have now banned them - although theres still no evidence of harm.

I had 3 mcs, and had scans at 6,8, 10 and 12 weeks (then 20 and 32 weeks) as emotionally I was a complete wreck and it was the only way I could function - esp after 2 of the mcs being missed mcs

cathym Fri 05-Sep-08 13:35:28

I think you need to put this in context. If you were having scans just because it was nice to see the baby then I think that would be classed as an unecessary risk. However, if it means you are more relaxed as a result than that is a benefit for you and the baby that has to be balanced against any possible risk.
With my first pregnancy I was concerned about the number of scans I was having (these were recommended by the doctor, not done at my request) but the midwife thought nothing of it. I'd had 3 before 12 weeks BTW. This time I will be getting a scan at least every 4 weeks from 20 weeks, and I'm fine with that, as long as it is considered to be necessary. I do appreciate that your concern was about early scans though.

Millie26 Fri 05-Sep-08 13:38:28

I've had scans at 4 wks, 5wks, 6 wks, 9 wks, about to go for one on Monday (12wks) then one at 13wks for private nuchal testing then prob just leave it til 20.

No one has said that it might be harmful. I've had so many because at first they thought it was ectopic and then they found I had some dodgy cysts so they need to keep an eye on them to see if they grow.

I also listened to the heartbeat on an at-home doppler a couple of times over the last week, but am a bit worried about that so think I might not do that again!

Dont worry, you aren't having lots of scans and they dont last long. Sounds very positive for a little baby in your arms in a few months!

mrsboogie Fri 05-Sep-08 13:41:46

I totally understand your desire to have lots of scans after a mc. I would have had one every week if I could. I had one at 8 weeks, then twelve weeks for the nuchal, then a private one at 18 weeks cos I coudn't wait for the 20 week one at 22 weeks, an nhs one at 22 weeks and another private one at 36 weeks. A relative of mine had one every two weeks due to revious miscarriages (private healthcare) so I don't think there is too much worry about them causing harm.

However the scan can only tell you what is happening with the baby at that particular moment so it won't eliminate the worry for long I'm afraid - at least it didn't for me. What should help you is once you feel the baby moving you will know he/she is getting on ok and this will ease your worries somewhat

dan39 Fri 05-Sep-08 14:25:24

I have had a few too, and was worried about possible risks. I had one at 7 weeks due to bleeding (and fears as had had mmc almost immediately before); one at 9 and a half due to anxiety - the EPU invited me in cos I was a wreck as last one had died at 8 weeks; one at 12 weeks (paid for as NHS counted 9 week one as 'dating scan' and having one next week at 19 weeks as can't wait til 22 weeks for 20 week one. I have tried to look ofr advice and it seems from what is around that short periods is fine. I have resisted getting a home doppler for two reasons - one I am not so sure they are definitely ok, but more importantly I think I would drive myself mad if I couldn't find anything!!

So don't worry - you have not had millions!

whiteorchid Fri 05-Sep-08 14:35:41

After 4 mcs, I would say that the reassurance of frequent scanning would outweigh any minor risk to the baby. I was in a trial when pg with DS (looking at mc prevention), and had loads of scans - every 2 weeks for the first trimester, then every 4 weeks after that. (He's a healthy 21month-old now.) If they really thought scanning posed any significant risk to the baby, I doubt the trial would have got past the ethics committee.

Mc is an awful thing to go through once, let alone four times. If the odd scan helps you get through that critical first trimester, then go for it. Take care, and hope all goes well for you this time. A heartbeat at 8 weeks is v promising!

karma Fri 05-Sep-08 17:00:27

Thanks everyone for those comments, and kind words. Have just spoken to my mc nurse who reassured me that there is no risk and has booked me for another scan at 10 weeks. Fingers crossed that everything goes well, and for everyone else in a similar position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now