Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

pleeeeeease someone help me get some sleep!

(8 Posts)
mad4mybaby Fri 05-Sep-08 08:51:17

28 weeks and have spd. When i get in bed and start reading my hip are is so sore its like im sleeping on concrete, the whole are goes sort of numb but it really hurts. Am big bumped and turning over already is just ridiculous. It is worse on right side (the side i sleep) than the left but that still hurts. I have pillows behind, infront, also sleep on top of a duvet to try to soften the bed up and tried to sleep propped up but that didnt help, tried laying on a pillow and that hurt my back as it obv meant my body was sort of in a S shape. Im also having to take paracetamol EVERY night which i dont like doing.

I know this is common but i have so long to go and know it'll only get worse. I dont get to catch up on sleep and also have to get up with 2 yr old etc but there must be something else i can do at night short of taking tranquilisors!!

lauraloola Fri 05-Sep-08 10:09:05

I had really bad hip pain in the last few weeks but didnt get SPD diagnosed.

I kicked dp out of the bed for the last few weeks so that I could move into whatever position felt comfy.

I found that moving my leg helped. When I lay in bed I would just bend my knee and wave it around (if you see what I mean!) or I would get up and walk up and down the stairs a few times.

It is awful but it does go as soon as you have lo x

mad4mybaby Fri 05-Sep-08 12:45:26

i cant move about as that makes it hurt more and last night dh ended up on sofa as he was fed up of me huffing and puffing! ITs so painful...

ellideb Fri 05-Sep-08 12:51:31

I feel for you as I am in the same situation, however it is easing now for me but thats only due to the fact I am now on maternity leave and don't have any little children to run around after and pick up.

It's a toughie if you have a toddler to care for but what really helps me is being able to sit down and just potter around the house taking it easy. No lifting things or pushing things. Can you have your 2yr looked after by someone else i.e family/friends/nursery/CMer for some part of the day even if it is only for a couple of hours? That way you will get to rest your SPD and catch up on some sleep?

I started taking paracetamol+codeine before I went to bed. Not ideal I know but it was the best nights sleep I had had in ages and left me so recharged. Codeine is known to make you drowsy. I don't take it atm because I am managing but you really ought to be sitting and resting wherever possible. HTH

mad4mybaby Fri 05-Sep-08 12:58:53

ds has just started preschool 2mornings a week which is nice. I can cope with it in the daytime just about, its going to bed. i go up at 9 and will still be awake at like 12 as in so much pain and keeping me awake. Havent had codeine, didnt think i could?

My gp told me off a while ago about taking too much paracetamol for something else...

ellideb Fri 05-Sep-08 13:06:25

They don't strictly like you to take anything but codeine is ok. They just tell you to avoid it if you are about to give birth because it will make the baby drowsy too.

Have you spoken to your midwife about it? Maybe they can refer you to a physio? It honestly does get better at night time if you take it easy during the day. Have you been given a pelvic girdle? You could try some essential oils such as lavender in the evening to help you relax?

mad4mybaby Fri 05-Sep-08 13:09:21

ive been seeing an osteopath for ages and have a referral for physio next tuesday. Havent had a girdle or anything. alot of people have said that they are really uncomfortable? This ds is so unbelieveable low already he gets hacked off if i sit down with my jeans done up!

ellideb Fri 05-Sep-08 13:18:26

At least you are seeing somebody about it, they should be able to tell you what you can do to ease up the pain a little. I was given a girdle by the midwife and yes it was a little bit uncomfortable but more annoying then anything because I would have to adjust it everytime I went to the loo and the velcro did dig sometimes! To counter that I would only put it on if I was going for a walk or was up and about. Hope you're feeling better soon though wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now