Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Advice on maternity towels - sorry if TMI !

(36 Posts)
beaufies Thu 04-Sep-08 15:09:24

Having not even used a sanitary towel since I was about 14 I am getting rather stressed about this. As it's a subject that doesn't ever get discussed I had to ask these questions somewhere so please forgive me blush

Are maternity ones any better than night time ones ? Is it good to have wings ? How often will I need to change them ? (concerned how I will manage this as having a c-section) How soon does it start ? Can anyone recommend a good brand as I'm sure they all vary ? Is there anything else I need to be aware of ?

Apologies again, but any advice or information gratefully received

tokentotty Thu 04-Sep-08 15:14:18

I used Boots own maternity towels at first (after emcs) and just continued until it was light enough for a regular panty liner. No big drama, basic is fine to be honest.

weddingcake Thu 04-Sep-08 15:15:37

I can't remember what brand I used (possibly Kotex?) but I think I mostly used night time sanitary towels - the extra long ones so that there was no leaking either front or back.

This is also TMI but possibly helpful - whenever I used to shower i used to make sure I had the towel ready stuck to the clean knickers so that there was minimal bleeding down the legs time. I also took an old towel into hospital to stand on when I got out of the shower so I didn't bleed on the floor and then have to get my flash wipes out.

Pinkjenny Thu 04-Sep-08 15:16:24

I had a section, they change the pads for you for the first 24 hours. Then do it yourself once you are able to get out of bed. You can always attach the pad to your knickers before you put them on if you're worried about bending. I used basic ones from Mothercare, IIRC they didn't have wings. But I did wear mahoosive pants with them, and if they got stained (sorry), I just chucked them away.

Wasn't a problem at all.

Dalrymps Thu 04-Sep-08 15:17:08

I'm not sure about c-section as I haven't had one but I used about 2 packets of the big maternity pads after I had ds. I didn't bleed a massive amount but more than a usual period (although everyone is different).

I think the maternity ones were more comfortable for me as I had a 3rd degree tear and they cushioned it when I sat down but this wouldn't apply to you... I just changed them whenever I went to the loo.

After I finished them I moved onto the nighttime ones when the flow was a bit lighter as they were more practical and I felt more like mtself again wearing them.

The heavy part of my blood loss was over on a few days and then slowly got less and less and ended just before my 6 week check but I have heard of people having more loss than that for weeks and weeks so it depends really.

HTH

fernie3 Thu 04-Sep-08 15:17:28

I used maternity ones because they are soft, I tried normal sanitary towels (always) but the weave on them felt like sandpaper and was very uncomfortable.If you are having a c section I dont know if this will apply though.
I found the maternity ones were a little more absorbant which I needed for about the first 24 hours. (I actually had to wear 2 maternity pads for about 6 hours after the birth with my first but did not bleed as heavily after my second.

I used a mix of tesco and wilkinsons maternity pads - they seemed exactly the same although I never tried a more expensive type (like mothercare!).

The bleeding starts straight away with a vaginal birth I dont know about a section.

sophie

poppy34 Thu 04-Sep-08 15:18:56

agree with weddingcake re towel tip -also you can get special maternity pads (or use those disposable changing mats ) to put in bed as you may leak .

I think the difference between proper maternity towels (also used boots ones) and night towels is the top weave is softer -this doesnt matter so much if you don't have stitches etc... I did so was using the special ones for a week or so before I switched to ordinary ones.

Wings are good but can make you a bit sore if they rub so I would be aware of this (usually only happens if too tight trousers/pants which is not sucha problem if wearing those throw away maternity pants -again a good idea for first few days).

Pinkjenny Thu 04-Sep-08 15:19:16

Bleeding straight away after a section too.

poppy34 Thu 04-Sep-08 15:19:54

re bleeding..was bad for couple of weeks then had light flow (bloody mucus) for about another 6 weeks

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 04-Sep-08 15:20:46

I can't remember what I liked last time, so have bought a selection for this time - a mixture of maternity and long night time ones (with wings - a good plan IME). I'm fairly sure that I didn't like either Boots or Mothercare mat ones, but as I'm not sure which I've bought neither.

Starts immediately after birth.

DaisySteiner Thu 04-Sep-08 15:25:38

A Pampers care-mat or similar is useful to put under yourself in the bed once you get home, just in case you leak any blood but also if you find you're leaking lots of breast milk.

lexilex Thu 04-Sep-08 15:27:54

i used maternty pads and dispoable pants from superdrug with both dc, for the first week then normal knickers with night time pads for a couple more weeks, i think disposable pants are great as there not exspensive so its no big deal if you have to throw them away. x

cmotdibbler Thu 04-Sep-08 15:28:42

The extra long nightime ones with wings were much better than the mat pads as they actually stayed in place. I bled loads and for a long time so got through a lot of them. Some of the disposal bags are good too so that you can bin them neatly.

seeker Thu 04-Sep-08 15:38:24

I bled a lot and ordinary towels were too rough - maternity one were much more comfortable.

TMI warning - I found if I wasn't careful I left blood on the edge of the loo and in the bath - the flow seems to be much more continuous than a period, so be warned!

seeker Thu 04-Sep-08 15:39:04

6h, and I bought a ton of cheap pants and threw them away if they got stained. TMI again, sorry!

MummyAnnabella Thu 04-Sep-08 15:39:20

i had c/s and hospital changed for me for the first day/night. they used 2 pads at the start which was great as one m/w just put one and i sat up and leaked!

think i must have started using own after i was up the nest day but only took 1 pack in - mothercare mat ones which were fine. by time i got home 5 days later i was just on regular pads though i did bleed for 12 weeks!!

bleeding starts right away - i was surprised at how this happened as i hadnt pushed baby out and wondered how body "knew" to bleed!!

MummyAnnabella Thu 04-Sep-08 15:39:21

i had c/s and hospital changed for me for the first day/night. they used 2 pads at the start which was great as one m/w just put one and i sat up and leaked!

think i must have started using own after i was up the nest day but only took 1 pack in - mothercare mat ones which were fine. by time i got home 5 days later i was just on regular pads though i did bleed for 12 weeks!!

bleeding starts right away - i was surprised at how this happened as i hadnt pushed baby out and wondered how body "knew" to bleed!!

EachPeachPearMum Thu 04-Sep-08 15:41:13

I just used always ones- normal, and nighttime at night.

TMI alert- in hospital after your section, they will place absorbant pads beneath you, and change them every so often. Sorry- it is a little barbaric the first 24 hours I'm afraid.
After 24 hours I was allowed up for a shower, and had knickers on with pads after that.
I took the nighttime ones to the hospital, but they were too big for me (I am 5'0" and petite) so switched to normal ones as soon as I got home (after 48 hours).

Yes- after 20 years of tampons, pads were a huge culture shock!

EachPeachPearMum Thu 04-Sep-08 15:49:40

Am wondering if bleeding/lochia is lessened with a section? The placenta has wholly been removed (hopefully, I know wmmc might not agree!) so should be less to come away from your womb.

Think perhaps I was just lucky.

malfoy Thu 04-Sep-08 15:59:49

had 2 csections and bled loads.

you bleed more if you are very active too.

I found on days where I went for really long walks or did a lot there was definitely more.

A friend of mine bled for a lot longer than the rest of the NCT group because she was out pushing the pram 2 hours a day. Doc told her that was the reason.

beaufies Thu 04-Sep-08 16:00:40

thanks for all the info - all really useful and advice that I would never have even considered.

Knowing the detail is making me full of dread however. I mean having someone else changing your maternity pads for you - I can't think of anything more toe curlingly embarassing

I did think that having a section would mean that I would at least be spared the more embarrassing aspects of childbirth but it seems unavoidable and that it is simply not possible to retain any dignity at all...

seeker Thu 04-Sep-08 16:06:11

I remember my mother telling me that - about bleeding more if I was very active. She was quite stern about it "It's nature's way of telling you you need to REST!"

MrsHappy Thu 04-Sep-08 16:15:42

I had (as everyone does) a catheter in for the c-section. The catheter is left in afterwards so they sort of wedge a sanitary towel between your legs. Every so often the midwives come and look at it which is really so they can judge how much you are bleeding (and check it isn't too much). It sounds mortifying, I know, but even having a section a lot of people are going to see your bits before you are discharged.

I was up and in the shower 7 hours after my section (something they had sprayed on me during the section was making me itch and I needed a wash!) but still had my catheter in until the next day. For some reason I decided it would be impossible to have a catheter in and wear pants so I submitted to the wedged-in ST regime for the first 24 hours or so.

One good thing about the big thick maternity pads is you can use them to cushion your wound while you are feeding the baby as otherwise they have an uncanny way of kicking you right on the sore bit...

greenlawn Thu 04-Sep-08 16:17:42

Bled less having a cs than when I had a vbac - when I asked why, I was told that after the cs they give everything a really good clean-out, so bits of placenta etc are cleaned out for you rather than passing naturally!

Buy some pampers disposable changing mats (sold near the nappies in any supermarket) to sit on in bed - the hospital will provide similar sheets, but I hated asking them to change them and preferred to do it myself. Not that they ask - they'll just have a nose without asking anyway! But the good news is once your baby is here you're very unlikely to care ...

Would second advice re long towels and dark coloured knickers/clothing.

malfoy Thu 04-Sep-08 16:18:43

Beaufies -you did ask! I know re lack of dignity. I never thought I would be lying there grateful to this lovely nurse for changing my towels and cleaning me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now