Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Movements @ 39 weeks - How many times do i expect it at this stage?

(13 Posts)
biglips Thu 04-Sep-08 06:40:44

as it was breech before, had an successful ECV Monday just gone and since then my tummy is rock hard solid and so sore etc but moving alot less but i put that down cos its head down and alot less room to move plus my tummy is hard.

thanks

mum2bagain Thu 04-Sep-08 06:58:46

Hi, they do say babies don't move as much when it's near the time to be born. Maybe you're not far away. tbh, mine is usually going at it none stop, but the more I think about it, he has gone a little quiet. I'm 38 weeks almost. I can't wait to get him out, I worry about everything, and will only be satisfied everything is 100% when I see him Good luck

biglips Thu 04-Sep-08 08:41:36

and good luck to you too smile

ajm200 Thu 04-Sep-08 08:47:22

Your tummy is probably still a bit bruised after the ECV so baby is probably moving more than you realise.

At 38 weeks, baby doesn't have room to kick and punch so the movements are more subtle, just wriggling and squirming to get comfy. You should still get about 10 a day but if you are busy you might not notice.

Cold and sugary foods might get a reaction from baby to ease your concerns

The other thing is they do settle right down during the last week to save their energy for birth.

Good luck

LullyMummaOfOne Thu 04-Sep-08 09:15:50

Completely agree with ajm200, i couldnt have put it better myself

Good luck with the birth, im sure its not too far away.

biglips Thu 04-Sep-08 09:16:58

My baby was a mega active baby till Monday - i was 38.3 weeks and not engaged. (this is my 2nd baby) but since then it had calmed right down but is doing around 10 movements a day.

Maybe im just not used to it as it had settled down too quick.

i wonder if i take some paracetomol, my tummy will feel abit better or will that not make any differ?

DaisySteiner Thu 04-Sep-08 09:20:28

If you have any concerns then it is a good idea to get it checked out, particularly as you've had an ECV, as reduced movements can indicate a problem. The important thing is what's normal for you - if I'd only had 10 movements a day I would have been very worried because mine used to move above 20 times an hour!

The hospital shouldn't mind speaking to you over the phone and advising what to do - I'd give them a ring.

biglips Thu 04-Sep-08 09:26:14

i did rang the labour ward last night and they said as long its moving, theres nothing i can do. Do u think i should get my midwife down here today if poss?

mine used to move about 20 times an hour till Monday and now its in a day.

DaisySteiner Thu 04-Sep-08 09:29:02

I would speak to your midwife and see what she says and impress on her how much less frequent the movements are. Really, if there are concerns you need to get the baby's hearbeat monitored over a period of time, not just listened in to with the doppler, and they can only do this at the hospital.

It's almost certainly fine, so don't panic, but at this stage the baby's movements are the best way of assessing its health and IMO it's wise to get it checked out if you're concerned, which you obviously are as you've posted here!

biglips Thu 04-Sep-08 11:11:14

thanks for your Advice Daisy

it seems that the baby is moving more in the last half an hour (couldnt get thru my midwife earlier on) so im just keeping a kick-diary chart for today and see if im concerned about.

BUT

if its not kicking its turning and it really hurts its like a stabbing pain..i have to stop walking and bend over to wait for it to stop.

arrgghhhhhhh!!! grin

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Thu 04-Sep-08 11:15:17

They say 10 movements in 12 hours.

When my tummy is rock hard (I'm guessing it's braxton hicks) I don't feel any movements.

Another way to make them move is to lay on your left side, breath in and out really deeply, and/or give their bum a pat/poke/stroke.

If you are ever worried, call your mw - it's what they are there for.

lollipopmother Thu 04-Sep-08 11:36:57

Biglips - Are you eating as much as you normally would? What with your tummy being so painful you might have unconciously stopped eating as much, which might also have some effect. Definitely keep a kick diary, especially if you have time to sit down for a few hours, as I've found that when I'm up and about I don't really feel much going on, although I expect it still does still happen.

jeee Thu 04-Sep-08 11:39:21

This is probably really bad advice, but if you're not happy with the situation just lie and say it seems to have stopped moving - then they will scan you I guess. You can always say when it does a big kick just when they're examining you "Oh, gosh, it's just moved now", all innocent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now