Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

midwife app tomorow, is there anything they can do? general moan sorry.

(12 Posts)
mum2bean Wed 03-Sep-08 21:35:54

for severe rib pain, back pain and general discomfort all round?

i'm 33+ 3 and it's driving me mad, i did mention it to midwife last time, and she just said it was because of the baby hmm like i didn't know.
is there any way i can get her to listen, as it's really getting me down now cause i cant go anywhere as it hurts too much, and im generally feeling low and tearful, and everything is getting to me. and now to top it off i think i have thrush AGAIN and ANOTHER kidney infection arrgggggh

Ewe Wed 03-Sep-08 21:39:47

They can help with thrush (pessary & cream) and kidney infection (anti-biotics) but all round discomfort isn't curable I'm afraid

Are you working? Can you get a couple of days off to rest at home? Try doing as little as possible for next couple of days, order take away, no housework, long bath etc.

mum2bean Wed 03-Sep-08 21:48:29

the last time they gave me anti biotics, they caused thrush! and made the whole thing even worse and i had to go hospital! lol, lucky me!

i am not working at the moment, so i can get loads of rest, but get bored of it! i really should be a bit more easily pleased i suppose lol

whomovedmychocolate Wed 03-Sep-08 21:59:55

Go swimming to help get the baby into a better position. Take cranberry capsules to help your kidneys and drink lots of water.

Oh and you can whinge all you like to the midwife but it'll probably do bugger all good, the last trimester is just sodding horrible - sorry. I feel for you, my seven week old is a PITA at times but compared to late pregnancy he's a breeze!

mum2bean Wed 03-Sep-08 22:04:03

probably true, as last time my MW was really condescending and made me and DP feel like a complete idiots. He said it's because we're young,but even so, it's our first and i figured they'd be a bit more helpful, but i was soo wrong. MN more helpful than MW, and better advice. cant you guys set up maternity classes and midwife app's for us all? lol

whomovedmychocolate Wed 03-Sep-08 22:07:16

No, because mums to more than one just tell you to suck it up and that it gets much worse than where you are now - but that you'll still get through it smile

Best way actually is to play on their egos:

"You must have lots of experience of this sort of thing, what practical things would you suggest to relieve X symptom?"

"Like you, I'm trying to do the best for my baby, but I need help, can you point me in the right direction to deal with...."

They like that sort of thing.

Remember all pregnant women whinge, so you have to ask them very specific things, request information and just repeat it till they answer.

BTW if she's v condescending, ask to see someone else.

mum2bean Wed 03-Sep-08 22:13:12

might have to try that one lol.

i'm hoping i get my orignal MW back tomorow, she was great, but if it is this new one, who is head MW hmm i think i will ask for a change.
im not sure whether she meant to do it, but it certainly felt that way, although DP got one up, as his aunty is a MW and told him how to feel for baby position and when the MW asked him if he'd like to know in future where the bay is, he told her he already could and did shame her a bit!! look on her face was a picture lol

whomovedmychocolate Wed 03-Sep-08 22:28:49

I see - so from her psychological point of view, she's been forced to take on the menial task of doing the community clinic and talk to the newbie mums to be. You can sort of understand why she's less than chuffed really.

It's not great for you but try and humour her a bit. Hopefully she'll be replaced - halloween isn't too far away and she'll need to get back on her broomstick in good time wink

fourlittlefeet Wed 03-Sep-08 22:31:05

Have you tried antenatal yoga or a massage? Some gentle stretching may help with posture realignment and it may also relax you?

aquariusgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 22:43:23

not a great lover of midwives then - whomovedmychocolate -from your comments?

whomovedmychocolate Thu 04-Sep-08 13:21:08

Actually I like midwives, but loathe power struggles between senior midwives and the regular cmws

reikizen Thu 04-Sep-08 13:32:41

You can take paracetamol for the pain too don't forget. Try some reflexology for general making you feel good. I'm a student midwife and tbh we don't have all the answers, pregnancy can be uncomfortable and even painful at times but that can still be normal and I think lots of women think there must be something we can do when we can't.
Not sure I like the reference to 'playing on their egos', hmm respect works both ways and being polite and treating each other like fellow human beings is the 'sort of thing' I like!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now