Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is there a limit to how much gavison you can consume in one day?

(42 Posts)
LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 21:21:48

I have the most horrendous heartburn and gastric reflux going on, to the point that I'm regurgitating food (tmi sorry blush) on a regular basis sad

I have been chewing gavison tablet like sweeties and have probably had about 10 or 12 of them today.

The helpful pharmacist has stuck their label over the instructions, which were ripped off when I tried to get it off so I am instructionless.

How many are too many? and any advice if I'm not allowed to take any more cos I'm in agony sad

baby is head up at 31 weeks and keeps headbutting me in the stomach.

I feel for you. I just checked to see if you can overdose on Gaviscon and there are warnings not to take too many doses. Can you go back to your GP and ask for more advice? Sorry I can't help you further. I had this with ny breech son so I know the agony. In my case, tomatoes used to set it off. Is there any trigger for you?

Evelynsmum Wed 03-Sep-08 21:25:20

Poor you. I'm struggling with awful heartburn / reflux too. In fact I think I'm keeping Gaviscon in business.

The label on my bottle says 4 5ml spoons up to 4 times a day. Not sure about the pills as I'm chewing plenty too.

I don't think you can overdose on it though. I feel quite bloated if I have a bad day though.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Wed 03-Sep-08 21:27:25

God

I had forgotten about the Gaviscon, (how did that happen) ??

I used to drink it straight from the bottle. blush

nancy75 Wed 03-Sep-08 21:33:22

i found the liquid worked better than the pills, i used to drink it straight from the bottle and get through a big bottle evey 2 days, i am not recomending it but me and baby are fine. i found sucking ice cubes relieved heartburn if it was just coming on, but found that every thing else was useless.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Wed 03-Sep-08 21:34:26

Shakes hands with Nancy, a fellow glugger. grin

expatinscotland Wed 03-Sep-08 21:34:36

i'm on 150mg of ranitidine AND get through loads of Gavison.

my baby is head down, but he is so high it's not true.

I also just remembered, ( only 6 months ago!) that I used to refrigerate teh bottle of Gaviscon. I used to pretend I was having cocktails blush. Plus peppermint is better than aniseed imho.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 21:37:04

anything and everything triggers it MamaFKaG (you're not MamaG are you?).....I am at the stage where I am losing the will to eat as it's going to hurt reaaaaal bad.

I know the liquid is supposed to be better, but I just can't stomach it at all. The gloopiness of it is, well........reminiscent of something that I don't much like to swallow wink and I just gag if I try and get it down.....and the gaviscon winkgrin

Can I take Zantac/ranitidine does anyone know?

I'm seeing the MW tomorrow so will see what she says.

expatinscotland Wed 03-Sep-08 21:38:07

yes, you can take Zantac/ranitidine.

i do.

or i quite literally couldn't eat at all.

nancy75 Wed 03-Sep-08 21:40:19

my mum recomended bicarbonate soda (think thats what its called) you mix a spoon with water, it goes really fizzy and makes you burp,, sometimes that helped!
maybe try a different gaviscon flavour? i found the mint one slightly better than the normal

sweetkitty Wed 03-Sep-08 21:40:23

Was just going to say that get thee to GP get prescription for Zantac

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 21:40:23

aha, cross posts with expat smile. Did you need to get the ranitidine prescribed or is it over the counter? I'd heard they don't like giving it to pregnant women but can't remember why.

How are you doing expat? Is it just me or has this pregnancy gone really fast? Seems like no time since all the "am I, aren't I?" threads.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 21:44:55

nancy someone on my AN thread was saying that bicarb isn't recommended anymore as there is a risk of some sort of complication with the baby due to the high sodium content.....or something; I never take it so didn't pay much attention.

but that aside, burping is the last thing on earth I want to be doing....hurts too bloody much sad

Will see if I can see the GP tomorrow after the MW, and before the obstetric physio.

pregnancy is sooooo much harder at nearly 40 than it was when I was only 32!!

lilymolly Wed 03-Sep-08 21:45:25

get some ranitidine
Gavisgon has lot of sodium so yes you can take too much

expatinscotland Wed 03-Sep-08 21:49:16

i'm doing okay, daisy. looking forward to my consult appointment on 8 september because i need to step up my sertraline - moods getting harder ot control.

yes, tonight im making my pre-baby shopping list.

can't believe he'll be here so soon!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 22:00:06

mine too expat. I'm seeing my pshych next week. Been feeling very very low and lurching from tearful to hysterically angry.

all the minor ailments aren't helping lighten my mood either sad

I'll be glad when it's over that's for sure.

expatinscotland Wed 03-Sep-08 22:06:27

i'm seeing mine next week, too

for me, it's just no interest in anything. the ol' staring at hte walls just complete zombie-going-through-the-motions sort of thing combined with panic attacks.

insomnia from hell.

the usual territory .

just want to feel like looking forward to things, IYKWIM.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 22:11:19

I am sitting amid a pile of toys and discarded clothes as I type and the kithcen is a tip. I just think "why bother". I've never had this level of apathy about everything before and it's quite upsetting. I barely left the house last week; just don't have any oomph.

I'm good at playing it down though to family and friends; only DH knows the extent of it.

Hey ho.....one day I'll be back to my normal self; one day <wistful sigh>

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 22:13:14

panic attacks are nasty sad

I don't have many thankfully, but totally empathise on them and the zombie front. this shitty summer hasn't helped either.

pooka Wed 03-Sep-08 22:13:28

IN the later stages of both my pregnancies I had a mega bottle of the stuff by my bed and just used to GLUG it at night. Would wake up with a gaviscon moustache.

Had forgotten until I read this thread how godawful the heartburn/indigestion was.

Sympathies.

expatinscotland Wed 03-Sep-08 22:15:10

yes, and having heartburn doesn't help.

seriously, ask for the ranitidine.

then you can cut back on the Gavi.

i'm down to one bottle a day.

EVERYTHING sets it off.

i feel like i'm eating like an invalid.

i have to force myself to eat as it is.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 22:47:20

cheers expat, i will

look after yourself smile

expatinscotland Wed 03-Sep-08 22:50:24

you, too, daisy.

not so much longer - then we have to get them out somehow!

rascal1979 Wed 03-Sep-08 22:53:16

Hello don't want to be alarmist but if you are being sick and have terrible 'heartburn' that can't be relived by Gaviscon you shuld get yourself checked out as this can be a sign of pre-eclampsia.

Where is the heartburn? Is it just under your ribs? If it is and not in your throat I would suggest ringing your labour ward and goign in to be checked out.

Some good info on here too www.apec.org.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now