Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ideas for easing Braxton Hicks

(12 Posts)
ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 19:45:38

Tonight I'm getting lots of strong BHs. They are not painful but give enough pressure to be v. uncomfortable and I'm getting pressure in my bottom at the same time. Normally, they don't bother me too much but these are coming close together and lasting for over a minute for 30 mins or more before fading away for while. I know that they are BHs as they can be irregular and all over the place. They aren't much fun when I'm trying to get my LO, bathed, changed and into bed.

I'd love some ideas to ease/stop them

diddle Wed 03-Sep-08 20:05:37

ajm - how many weeks are you??
i had BH like this that became more uncomfortable and painful never regular and it turned out i was in early labour for a week then finally they got worse.

Walking rather than sitting should make a difference, having a warm drink, having a bath all advised by midwife to me.

How long have you had them for??

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 20:06:02

anyone?

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 20:09:00

I'm 33 weeks..

had some preterm labour at 29 weeks but that felt a lot different, more crampy and achy.

I really hope this isn't labour starting again, I'm on my own, DH is away and it is far to early for LO. Plus have no childcare for DS for the next couple of days as friend and relative who are due to take him next month if I go into labour are both away.

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 20:09:53

I've had them on and off since about 4 but that happens every night at the moment, just not normally so many or so intense.

diddle Wed 03-Sep-08 20:16:50

well if you've experienced pre term labour before then you know better than me. I had strong BH with both my pregnancies, and i guess as your baby gets bigger the more uncomfortable it will be. i would definitly take it easy and keep a close eye on it.
I remember spending hours writing the times of them down. I went into hospital a couple of times just to double check.
you could always call the midwife on call and ask if someone can come and check you at home if you get really anxious.

also if bathing your LO makes it worse, skip it for a day or two and just give him/her a good wash.

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 20:21:54

Thanks for all the advice Diddle.

Last time the contractions were definately more in my back than my tummy but I'll keep an eye on them as you suggest. I guess the position of the baby makes a difference to the strength of the BHs and any preterm labour.

Now LO is in bed, I'm off for a long soak in the bath then I'll have a nice warm cup of cocoa, a snack and an early night..

diddle Wed 03-Sep-08 20:29:19

my pleasure hope i haven't added to your stress. bath and a cuppa sounds heavenly. quite fancy that myself.

Verso Wed 03-Sep-08 20:56:25

ajm I almost started a thread with this title yesterday! I was having loads of uncomfortable BHs too. Mine were so intense they were making me breathless (I'm 27 weeks). I read in "What to Expect" that they tend to be a lot stronger when you've already had a baby - and then the usual about dehydration and rest etc, so I drank lots of water and went to bed and feel much better today.

I know you've had preterm labour before - and I haven't, so I am ill-qualified to comment really - but you saying you have a feeling of pressure in your bottom as well makes me wonder if you should get checked out... just from my reading yesterday it said BHs are normal (even if uncomfortable) but if you start to feel pelvic pressure it could be the start of labour...

Alternatively, you just need to put your feet up and get that early night!!

LackaDAISYcal Wed 03-Sep-08 20:59:13

drink lots...and lots, at least three litres of water a day as dehydration can make them worse.

I ended up beign monitored a couple of times last pregnancy around 33 weeks as they were very sore, off the scale on the CTG and the hospital were worried about early labour.

I was eventually discharged as there was no cervix action going on with the advice to drink as much as possible.

ajm200 Thu 04-Sep-08 08:16:33

They finally went off about 10pm or at least eased enough that I could go to sleep. Thanks for all of the advice. I guess I'm just overdoing it at the moment trying to keep up with an overactive toddler, get his new room ready and prepare for baby while DH is not about.

I intend to have a good rest today while DS sleeps and I'll drink lots of water too...

Verso, sorry to hear that you are getting strong BHs too. Good luck with your pregnancy!

Teuch Thu 04-Sep-08 08:24:26

Yup, just seconding the 'drink lots' campaign grin.

And when you think you might burst, drink some more.

It really makes the difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now