Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

38 weeks pregnant and can't get wedding ring off any more.

(24 Posts)
ipanemagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 09:41:52

My ring finger isn't swelling up above it or looking pink or anything but it is irritating me that I didn't take it off while I still could! It might be fine as long as my hands don't swell up more than now. They're just a little swollen now.

If I have it removed can it be repaired fairly invisibly?

I have this ridiculous notion that it's slightly bad luck to cut it off, symbolically not a very positive thing to do!

I haven't yet tried sticking my hand in freezing water and then trying to oil it off.

Any advice very gratefully received........

naturalblonde Wed 03-Sep-08 09:43:27

I've got same problem, but not trying to get it off as have been such a grumpy pregnant cow to my dh lately I think he may keep it!!

ipanemagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 09:51:37

I'm so irritated with myself because I remember sitting about a month ago putting hand cream on thinking "this would be a good time to take this off in case my fingers swell like ugly sausages but the moment passed !! hmm so annoying....

If it starts to go pink above the ring I'll definitely have it taken off but I'd much rather not of course. Fat fingers crossed...

ipanemagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 09:53:48

BTW, natblonde, my dh thinks I've been pretty foul for most of pg wheras I think I've been mostly angelic to him......!
They don't have to DO all this pg thing though do they!!
If they did then all babies would be born under general anaesthetic and maternity leave would be 5 years on full pay. 5 years when someone else looked after the baby and then men had trauma counselling.

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 09:54:36

My DH bought my engagement ring when i was 40lb heavier in Florida and I was swollen from the heat so I recently had to have it taken in 3 sizes. It was done at a top jewellers but the join still shows.

I'd try the iced water and oiled hands route first if I was you and only cut it off if all else fails.

sophiaverloren Wed 03-Sep-08 09:54:44

Hi,

I went to a jeweller and had mine cut off at about 36 weeks I think - it was starting to hurt (was summer and hot, which didn't help!)and someone told me that a jeweller would take more care than if in an emergency in hospital...
I just went into a high street chain and it was done in a couple of minutes. Getting it put back together was more tricky - high street chain said it would be cheaper and better to buy a new one (rather missing the point I feel) but instead went to an independant store I never knew was there who really looked after me, did a great job and I felt understood the signficance. Incidentally, on the odd occasions we have needed other things, I have gone back to that shop!
I was told that it would be less strong once repaired, which makes sense, but I've had no problems (although only 3 years) and I suppose it depends on quality in the first place.
I think I would definitely say get it off if you don't have the baby first - things will more likely get worse than better in the swelling department!

ipanemagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 10:00:16

thanks for your advice ajm and sophia, I'm going to try ice'n'oil first and then maybe try to have it removed while I have time.
sophia, does the mend show very much?

hopefully Wed 03-Sep-08 10:16:03

Try holding your hand above arm level for a while before putting it in ice too - maximise the chance of blood/fluid draining from your arm!

And remember to twist as you pull the ring, don't just tug.

cathym Wed 03-Sep-08 10:22:32

I had the same problem when I was pregnant with my daughter. I spent a whole evening in agony to get them off, and I think using freezing cold water and oil/washing up liquid is the best plan.
I'll never forget thinking that if I could be in so much pain and so frustrated trying to get a couple of rings off that didn't want to come off then how on earth was I going to cope with labour

ipanemagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 10:33:15

LOL cathym! trying not to think about labour too much! Hoping as it's my 2nd it ain't going to be quite so ouch. But I was induced which makes it more painful I"m told!

eandz Wed 03-Sep-08 10:36:19

i had to have mine cut off two months ago when i was in dubai. it was horrible. but they fixed them and resized them right away and i got to pick out my next setting for when the baby comes.

i hope that by october (when we go back) my fingers will be back to normal size so i can get everything sized down again. i would hate to have sausages like these forever.

ipanemagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 10:46:44

eandz, does the mend show very much?

eandz Wed 03-Sep-08 10:57:57

nope. not at all.

the engagement ring was quite easy to fix. the wedding band was an eternity band...that turned into two half eternity bands that now go on each side of the engagement ring. it still looks ok, but relatively blingy imo.

ninedragons Wed 03-Sep-08 11:02:17

I have heard that Windex (yes, really) is magic for getting stuck rings off. I am rather sorry I have never had the call to try it myself, so have a squirt and let me know if it works or I am spreading some kind of crappy internet rumour.

eandz Wed 03-Sep-08 11:06:36

i tried the windex actually. it worked a little bit with reducing the swelling of my fingers, but because i was in the middle of the desert it didn't help much.

ipanemagirl
maybe you should try it since it's not that hot here?

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 11:13:19

Have to say the jewellers in Dubai are amazing so I'm not surprised that they made such a good job of fixing eandz's rings.

eandz Wed 03-Sep-08 11:16:53

yes, yes. my diamond upgrade is at a steal of a price. blush i'm ashamed to say that i'm looking forward to the ring more than i am to my first holiday with our son.

but since i can't be sure if the diamond is conflict free, i'm not even sure if i'll go through with it. why has pregnancy given me an inkling of some morality? WHY?!

ipanemagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 11:19:02

great advice! thanks everyone, I'm trying it all when I've done my list of urgent calls/chores

Rather than lolling on mumsnet for hourse til my waters break!!!!!

Off to face the music,
Many thanks...

bikerunski Wed 03-Sep-08 11:51:35

LOL at Windex. I think it's the dad in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" who believes that Windex is the cure all for everything!

lauraloola Wed 03-Sep-08 12:01:27

My swelling didnt get much worse after 37/38 weeks. I would leave it for as long as possible.

I find taking my rings off in a hot bath works - I know you are supposed to cool your hand but I put bubble bath on my finger and take it off under water.

sophiaverloren Wed 03-Sep-08 12:37:12

sorry, thread moved on and I had to work. To answer a question from hours ago now, though: I have just checked my rings (forgot it was engagement ring as well actually) and can possibly see something on engagement ring, but no join at all on wedding ring.

Tinkerisdead Wed 03-Sep-08 12:40:38

I'm 29 weeks preg and this happened to me last week, finger was going blue! i googled and found the windex tip, i put my hand in ice, got DH to spray windex whilst i twisted it off. it hurts but it works. you need someone else though cos if you stop to spray you wont get the twisting it off..

i then got so upset that i had no wedding & engagement ring on and so DH went and bought me a cheap eternity ring in a bigger size and says its the ring i can wear when growing our babies!

ipanemagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 13:59:06

That's adorable thedrswife - how romantic!!!

but it's off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just went for it with washing up liquid, it was starting to really irritate me so I just decided off it was coming! Phew.

Nice sausagey fingers!! sad

ipanemagirl Wed 03-Sep-08 18:51:34

ring now snugly on my little finger! Oh digital fat girl!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now