Talk

Advanced search

no kicks, just occasional squirming?

(7 Posts)
theory Wed 03-Sep-08 09:18:31

I'm 33 weeks, and I never feel real kicks-- it feels more like wriggling or squirming, and it's not very strong. Has anyone else had this? Does it mean anything about the position of the baby? (First-timer, a little paranoid...!)

bikerunski Wed 03-Sep-08 10:12:03

I am a first timer too and am 38 weeks. I have only felt what I can really describe as proper kicks in the last couple of weeks. I mentioned this to my midwife, who had a good prod around and said it was due to my unsually strong stomach muscles! ie: Bubba is moving fine, but I can't feel it through my stomach muscles. I did a lot of sport up to my pg and have carried on with pilates, walking and swimmimg, so hoepfully I am in fairly good shape. Could this be you too?

We'll see how strong they really are in the next few weeks...

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 10:19:35

Is your placenta at the front (Anterior)?

Mums with anterior placentas tend to feel less of their babies movements/kicks. First time round, I felt lots of kicks, squirms, hiccups and wriggling with DS. This time the placenta is at the front and I don't feel much. Was monitored a few weeks ago and could hear baby moving a lot but couldn't feel it. I'm starting to feel some kicks now at 33 weeks but they aren't as strong as last time.

mrsboogie Wed 03-Sep-08 10:29:46

This has mostly been my experience also. It is my second pregnancy and very different from the first - from what I can remember. I am 38 weeks and have felt mostly squirming and wriggling and small movements. Very few kicks. Everything has always looked ok on scans and with heartbeat so it must just be the way he moves. I doubt my stomach muscles have much to do with it!!

bethoo Wed 03-Sep-08 10:35:58

at this stage there is very little room for baby to move so kicks will be small and you will feel more squirning as baby gets into position.

theory Wed 03-Sep-08 11:28:46

thanks, everyone, I feel better. And I esp. like the idea that I might have strong stomach muscles! No idea where my placenta is...no one has told me. We're thinking of going to get a scan done (privately) next week just out of overwhelming general curiosity.

ajm200 Wed 03-Sep-08 11:37:49

They normally note the placenta position on your paperwork after the 12 or 20 wk scan.

I'd love to have one of those 4d scans done privately but no way DH will agree. Get a recommendation though if you can as I've heard very mixed reviews of private scans.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now