Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Ive got to take Iron Supplements....why?

(19 Posts)
KnickersOnMaHead Tue 02-Sep-08 17:50:10

Message withdrawn

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 02-Sep-08 17:53:24

Because your iron is low....?

KnickersOnMaHead Tue 02-Sep-08 17:54:51

Message withdrawn

DontNeedAnything Tue 02-Sep-08 17:55:42

Yes because your iron is low.

And you will loose a lot of bloody after birth which will make it worse.

Be careful though cos the ones they prescribe can cause some constipation and they turn your stools...well, lets just say they alter your stools.

I think there are some which you can buy over the counter which are better (on the bowel). Can't remember the name though. I am sure someone will be along that can.

You should take it with orange juice I think to aid absorbtion.

DontNeedAnything Tue 02-Sep-08 17:56:16

It is low cos the baby is stealing it all.

And because your blood volume is higher than normal which has diluted the iron that you do have.

Twiglett Tue 02-Sep-08 17:57:40

Iron levels often drop in pregnancy, and at other times (specifically around periods)... it can leave you feeling exhausted and confused if it gets too low. Foetus takes what it needs, you get what's left .. little parasites.

I would recommend Spatone or Floradix (both available from health food stores / Boots) instead of tablets which can give you tummy ache

Also ensure you are eating red meats, green leafy veg and drinking vit c (like orange juice) at same time to help absorb

ellideb Tue 02-Sep-08 17:58:30

As DNA says. Spatone would be better for you to take, so much gentler on your tummy. Midwife was very pleased with me with the speed I managed to get my iron levels back up after using Spa tone. <proud emoticon>

cthea Tue 02-Sep-08 18:06:32

Low iron may affect mother-baby bond and the iron levels of the baby.

cthea Tue 02-Sep-08 18:07:36

That's to say don't ignore it, esp since it's so easy to treat.

star6 Tue 02-Sep-08 18:17:53

Oh NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been extremely low to moderately low (between 4.8-9.1) throughout my pregnancy, 34 weeks now... midwife said today there's nothing more they can do, my body is just not absorbing it despite taking tablets with juice and floradix... tried more tablets...etc... oh no!
Anyone have some research that contradicts this??? No offense cthea... that just made me cry!

Twiglett Tue 02-Sep-08 18:21:36

Oh god star please don't worry, that report is all 'may' and 'could'.

I was anaemic with both my children and bonded fine.

cthea Tue 02-Sep-08 18:22:42

Oh sorry, star6, not my intention. I had v low iron too in all my pregnancies but bonded beautifully with my babies - you know how it is, doesn't mean the results will apply to you.

star6 Tue 02-Sep-08 18:27:23

Thanks, I know what you're saying... just really worried about pnd and all that since i've been so hormonal during pregnancy. Tried absolutely everything to get iron up over past 34 weeks and nothing is working, so when I read that, it was the icing on the cake. Thanks for telling me that you bonded fine despite low iron, though. That is very helpful!

cthea Tue 02-Sep-08 20:48:21

Oh, you poor thing. It takes a while for iron levels to get back up (6 weeks or so) so it may seem as there's no benefit yet from the medication you're taking, but you'll get there. Take care and best wishes.

Tangle Tue 02-Sep-08 21:10:01

star6 - I don't know whether you've come across this but it is physiologicaly normal for your iron levels to be lower than "normal" (whatever that may be for you) during pregnancy: you have the same amount of iron in an increased volume of liquid, hence lower iron concentrations. For this reason, some midwives do not recommend making judgements on the basis of a Hb level in isolation - there's some more discussion on the radmid site.

Fingers crossed things go smoothly for you and your iron levels aren't a problem

aquariusgirl Tue 02-Sep-08 22:12:03

look at the mcv level of your blood it should be over 80 and if the hb is over 10 and you feel ok that may be ok

aquariusgirl Wed 03-Sep-08 15:16:25

just read my way thru the radmid site tangle - briliant read!!

Swaliswan Wed 03-Sep-08 19:39:51

star6 have you been offered an intavenous iron infusion? I had a short course of venofer infusions after DD was born and it helped loads. I was told that iron tablets just wouldn't work quick enough if your iron levels are too low.

star6 Thu 04-Sep-08 06:50:36

I have asked about the possibility of iron injection or something... dr and mw not willing to do it at this stage. Thanks, though Swaliswan. Maybe they will do it after baby is born...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now