Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Following on from other thread - has anyone been pregnant for a long time before they realised / found out

(24 Posts)
PeppermintPatty Tue 02-Sep-08 12:43:55

I haven't. Know people who have though.
If you have - why didn't you realise sooner?

gem1981 Tue 02-Sep-08 12:56:53

never happened to me but an old friend of mine found out at around 5/6 months i think - she thought she had glandular fever

ManxMum Tue 02-Sep-08 13:01:20

21 weeks and baby weighed 10lbs 5 1/2 ozs!!

periods were often erratic, no morning sickness and just put a bit of weight around waist. Doctor thought DS was a tumour (I think he knew really!!)

Chaotica Tue 02-Sep-08 13:12:33

Friend of my mum's got to 7m (and she's tiny) -- then she didn't believe the doctor who told her. In her defence, she had been told that she couldn't have kids and had just adopted... (daughter is now happily grown up grin)

PeppermintPatty Tue 02-Sep-08 13:15:21

shock ManxMum!
That must have been such a shock!

I also had a friend who didn't find out till 6 months - she also had erratic periods.

There was also a girl in my old school who gave birth to a premature baby girl and she swore she didn't know she was pregnant. When she got her first contractions she thought she had constipation shock

tiredemma Tue 02-Sep-08 13:16:25

I found out about DS2 at 16 and a half weeks

PeppermintPatty Tue 02-Sep-08 13:19:12

tiredemma - if you don't mind me asking, why did you not realise sooner?

tiredemma Tue 02-Sep-08 13:36:19

He never had a problem reading anything, he only has very poor eyesight in the one eye, so used his good eye to compensate.

The school nurse picked it up in his reception eye screening.

tiredemma Tue 02-Sep-08 13:46:19

SORRY WRONG THREAD!!!!!

Thought that you was asking me about DS2's eye problems!!

I continued to have periods (was on pill also), I had a kidney infection and a urine test at my gps picked up that i was pregnant.

I had put no weight on, had no reason to suspect that I was pregnant

notcitrus Tue 02-Sep-08 19:18:14

I was over 14 weeks.

Why I didn't notice:
Had neg preg test result on New Year's Eve, when I must have been 4-5 weeks.
Had essentially given up ttc after around 7 years, and vowed not to test more than every 3 months because it was too depressing.
Was losing weight nicely that I'd put on during previous few months when I was working 6/7 day weeks and 14 hours a day.
Had stopped being sick/nauseous with gut problems I'd had for the past few years.
Hadn't had a period for 8 months - was trying to get my consultant's crap secretary to give me an appt. She called me the day after I found out I was pregnant.

Got a lurgy at the end of March, saw GP, he did routine blood tests, and I got a letter telling me I was pregnant...
If it hadn't been for that, I'd have wondered by around 16 weeks when my breasts exploded and itched like hell.

Have to admit, I highly recommend ignorance as a way to get through the first trimester without worrying all the time.

lowrib Tue 02-Sep-08 19:54:36

A good friend of my sisters went full term without realising. She went to hospital with terrible back pain, only to be told she was in labour!

I always assumed this was only possible if you were very naive, but she's an intelligent sane woman.

She says she got periods while pregnant, and really had no clue. (When I asked her if she REALLY had no idea she assured me no - and you could see how bored she was with everyone asking the same question!) She had been worried about her general health, but had no idea it was all down to pregnancy! No one around her suspected she was pregnant either.

Her baby was fine (and still is several years later).

I do think of her sometimes now I'm pregnant. If I didn't know, could I just put the movements down to strange things happening in my gut?!

shreksmissus Fri 05-Sep-08 20:36:15

Message withdrawn

PinkTulips Fri 05-Sep-08 21:06:19

9 weeks with dd and officially 10 but i think further on with ds

with dd it was because we'd been trying for 2 years and my periods were irregular anyway. i'd had so many times i'd been convinced and even tested only to have my period turn up right after i peed on the stick!

i just went into denial and told myself my period was due tomorrow everyday. it came to a point where dp convinced me i was so i went straight to the gp...... and got a neg test. had so many syptoms though he sent me to hospital thinking i was ill.

they did a quantitive tests... neg, they did abdominal exams... nothing there, they did intenal exams..... nothing there, they did blood tests... negative. told me i'd had a missed miscarriage and told me to come back for a scan the next day to check if i needed a d&c.

dp never lost faith and i felt so bad for him that he was going to be disappointed, at the scan she did an abdominal scan and couldn't see anything at all so offered me an internal, i said ok just to save dp any more hopeing when it was all in vain.

she found dd, 9 weeks 4 days.

with ds i was bf-ing and hadn't had a period yet and we'd barely been having sex due to non sleeping dd so it never ever occured to me until i puked in the sink 2 days running doing breakfast. had no idea of dates and they didn't scan me til what they said was 20 weeks but i'm convinced was more, he was born at 38 weeks at 8lbs10ozs and i 'felt' overdue iykwim?

have known since 5 weeks this time and god it's turning into a long pregnancy!!!!

TigerFeet Fri 05-Sep-08 21:10:58

My Mum was 25 weeks with my sister before she found out

She was 42 and thought it was the menopause

She is overweight so had no noticable bump

It was a massive shock to the whole family, but a lovely one

mrsmike Fri 05-Sep-08 21:42:57

19 weeks with ds3 shock
I was 43.
Had bleeding regularly.
Had felt tired and sick for months. At the time there was tv ad for probiotic yoghurts with women complaining they felt exhausted, bloated and sick - that's my problem I thought - you would not believe how many probiotic yoghurt drinks I consumed in those 19 weeks. Now a family joke grin

loudmouthmum Fri 05-Sep-08 23:25:43

realised monday 1st sept that i was 2 days late, went to doctors, he felt my tummy and said...you need a scan. First free appointment was friday, when We discovered it is twins. (EEK!). AND I was 13 weeks. (14 weeks now). Just a little shocked, as the splodges will be number 6 & 7 between us, my numbers 4 & 5!.

VeniVidiVickiQV Fri 05-Sep-08 23:35:21

I had a pg where I didnt know I was pg until nearly 10 weeks. I had come off the pill because I was sick of it giving me irregular periods and me having to waste money on doing pg tests that always came back negative......so when period was late I just assumed I'd skipped another one. I didnt know that the other symptoms I was having were pg symptoms. I thought it was stress and overworking that was causing the nausea.

SIL didnt know she was pg till 5-6 months pg. She had very irregular periods - once every few months, even up to a year apart. She had no reason to think she was pg.

gigglewitch Fri 05-Sep-08 23:39:36

err, 10wks with DD (dc#3) - dh ill and had gallblader op, barely fit / capable to reproduce shock he was in hospital when we found out, no clue and went to doctor with back problem hmm which somehow turned out to be pg.

Forensica Sat 06-Sep-08 00:04:21

My mum found out that she was pregnant with me when she was having a bath and her belly suddenly moved I was her third (after 6 years)so she knew that that was not gas .
She kept on having weak periods all throughout the pregnancy, and her gynaecologist kept telling her that it was just some temporary period problem, nothing serious, till the moves happened .

Bowddee Sat 06-Sep-08 00:07:19

My mum was 38 weeks pregnant when she found out. She went in to labour the next day!

nancy75 Sat 06-Sep-08 00:15:52

i also know someone that didnt know until she went into labour, saw her a couple of days before, she really didnt look pregnant at all.

tilbatilba Sat 06-Sep-08 05:47:54

I have nursed a couple of women in casualty that didn't know they were pg. One was 51 and came in with "food poisoning" following a wedding anniversary meal at a Chinese restaurant Transferred straight to mat.ward and delivered within the hour. The other was a 12yr old who was more typically a conceal pg and likely in denial .

I could never understand how you just wouldn't know until I discovered I was pg at 16.5 wks! I was soooo shocked.... dh in total disbelief . I'd had IVF the previous year for infertility issues and was fully breast feeding a 9 month old baby and hadn't had a period since conceiving the first baby. Was in such a baby blur I just put it all down to tiredness......

A wonderful outcome though

TinySocks Sat 06-Sep-08 06:29:29

My sister had tried for over 10 years to have a baby. It just wasn't happening and she gave up.
Her periods have always been very irregular, sometimes going 6 months without one. I remember one day we were in her house and she told my mum that she doesn't understand why she is putting on weight around the waist (she is very thin), my mum told her she's better go to the doctor and when she did she found out she was 4 months pg!
And it happened again 4 years later!, she has to use contraception now which is ironic considering all the years she was desperate for a baby.

BouncingTurtle Sat 06-Sep-08 06:44:37

A colleague of mine went into labour at work!

Apparently she just thought she had gained weight, was irregular and when she started having labour pains, thought she had appendicitis!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now