Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How long after your baby dropped did you go into labour?

(18 Posts)
ajm200 Tue 02-Sep-08 11:56:43

I'm 33 weeks and need to reassure DH that this baby is not going to arrive in the next week. He was really reluctant to go to work today..

I have had lots of BH of the past few days, some strong enough to wake me at night. Baby has dropped significantly, she's been right under my ribs until yesterday and overnight she seems to have dropped further. I can now get two flat hands sideways between my bra line and the top of my bump.

I've also had a major hormone surge, been very weepy all weekend, had very little sleep but limitless energy.

This is my 2nd DC but last time DS didn't drop until 36 weeks and I was induced at 37.
I've also had stabbing pains in my vagina and a 2nd show (1st was at 29 weeks)

I know baby isn't coming yet but need to calm DH

lauraloola Tue 02-Sep-08 12:20:32

Everyone told me I had 'dropped' when I was about 34 weeks. I felt a difference from 35 weeks and dd was born at 39 + 6.

TBH as its your 2nd you will probably notice it earlier as your muscles are relaxed from last time x

ajm200 Tue 02-Sep-08 12:46:04

thanks Laura, just need to get hubby to stop panicking now

Wisknit Tue 02-Sep-08 12:46:08

I dropped really with ds1 - about same time as you iirc. he was 40+10. DS 2 was high right til 39ish weeks and came at 40 + 2.
Shouldn't think you haev anything to worry about

Minniethemoocher Tue 02-Sep-08 13:18:52

Baby's head fully engaged at 32 weeks. I was induced when 10 days overdue.

izzybiz Tue 02-Sep-08 13:24:43

Neither of mine dropped untill in labour, both were born at 38 weeks.

This one i am having now hasn't dropped either, I am 37+ 4, lets hope history will repeat itself!grin

bantam73 Tue 02-Sep-08 13:27:15

At 35 wks I lost my plug membrane with my 2nd and everyone told me with in a wk I would have my baby, even my midwife and I believed them cos my 1st was born at 36 wks. But nothing happened I had the 5 longest wks of my life she came on the day she was due.

ajm200 Tue 02-Sep-08 13:28:02

Izzybiz Oh gosh, I hope history does repeat itself for you. How exciting!

lollipopmother Tue 02-Sep-08 13:31:44

Total hijack here, apologies to the OP.

Is 1/5th palpable classed as totally engaged, or can it go to 0/5th and still not be in labour?

ajm200 Tue 02-Sep-08 13:38:35

Not sure lollipop. I think the info is on spinningbabies but that's down at the mo.

lollipopmother Tue 02-Sep-08 13:52:17

Ok thanks AJM, I'll keep an eye out on there.

Polaris Tue 02-Sep-08 13:56:33

I went into labour at 36 weeks - at my appointment a few days ealier, I was told the baby wasn't even engaged. I'd had the sabbing pains in the groin region but nothing else. My waters then sponteaneously broke in the night. You can't be sure you not going into labour - to me it sounds as if things are ramping up. Just don't go too far away from home and get your bags packed! Good luck.

Polaris Tue 02-Sep-08 13:58:43

Apologies ajm - Just noticed that important fact that you are only 33 weeks. If it helps at all I had those stabbing pains for a couple of weeks before baby came.

ajm200 Tue 02-Sep-08 14:38:19

Hi Polaris, thanks for the info. Was a little concerned when I read your first posting but I know that babies come when they are ready and I can't believe this one is yet.

lollipopmother Tue 02-Sep-08 14:49:56

AJM - Becoming engaged certainly doesn't mean that you are going to go into labour, it is accepted that babies can become engaged as early as 33w and still go to term because there are various physiological factors that determine the baby dropping, such as the shape of your pelvis, the strenth of stomach muscles, whether you're very physically active, whether this is your second (or more) etc.

I don't know about the stabbing pains, but is it at all possible that you might be getting SPD?

MrsTittleMouse Tue 02-Sep-08 14:55:24

I had stabbing pains with DD1 (and I'm starting to get them with DD2 at 33+4). It feels as though someone is stabbing me with a knitting needle. I think that it's the pressure of the baby on the cervix. Anyway, I went to term with DD1, so not a sign of early labour, even though I had lots of BHs too.

PortAndLemon Tue 02-Sep-08 14:58:10

Three to four weeks, I think.

ajm200 Tue 02-Sep-08 15:00:46

Lollipop, I have SPD and this is different.. I just don't remember getting it last time.

Thanks everyone for the advice...

I'm realistic enough to know that this baby will only come out when it is ready but wanted examples to quote at hubby to calm him down as I can't stand him being so anxious for the next 7-9 weeks. I wish MIL would not fill his head with the idea that baby is about to come now..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now