Talk

Advanced search

URGENT - is fake tanning safe ?

(14 Posts)
anon786 Tue 02-Sep-08 08:59:00

I've never had fake tan before but I'm due to have one tomorrow. I'm 8 weeks pg and it's suddenly struck me that it might not be a good idea to have the tan.

Anyone got any ideas on this ?

crokky Tue 02-Sep-08 09:01:07

Personally, I wouldn't do this when pg. It's doubtful that something like this will have been studied (unethical), but I would steer clear as it is not essential.

malloo Tue 02-Sep-08 10:11:15

think fake tan is ok because it only goes into the first couple of layers of skin, not absorbed by your body?

Questionkid Tue 02-Sep-08 10:31:12

I've read in a book that fake tanning isn't a good idea, not because of any harmful effects on the unborn baby but because of the changes that happen in your skin when you're pregnant. Apparently it may not come out the same colour as you would expect when not pregnant, or could be patchy etc. I'm getting married in a few weeks and have decided against having one for that just in case. Might be worth testing on a patch of skin that doesn't show first?

wellbalanced Tue 02-Sep-08 10:35:58

Ooo i was going to ask this as going on a hen do at wkd and v white!!!
My friend had a spray tan at 38wk preg (minus the bump) and all was fine.
Im just thinking of doing my legs, Will this be ok or just as harmful?

rrrayray Tue 02-Sep-08 10:46:09

Apparently Fake Bake is OK... as uses natural ingredients. Can't help you with any other brands though.

I DO know most spray tanning booths if they know your pregnant WONT spray you... but thats more to do with the fact of the fumes i think! company policy etc.

I think if you MUST do it. your best doing it yourself, and just doing the bits people will see... your legs, arms, shoulders, whatever, just not your bump..... i think thats asking for trouble!

MrsMattie Tue 02-Sep-08 10:54:26

I do.

I was ultra safe about hair dying and fake tanning in first pregnancy and spent the whole time feeling like a fat, grotty minger! It's true - there hasn't really been much research into this, so nobody can say it is entirely safe, but personally, it's not a huge worry for me and I need to feel like a normal, attractive human being in this pregnancy, rather than letting myself go.

I have a St Tropez spray tan about once a month and top up with Clinique self tan at home in between. You can do it in a swimming costume if you want to protect your bump, of course. I personally don't bother tanning my bump.

ellideb Tue 02-Sep-08 10:59:53

I had a fake bake/spray tan when I was about 12 weeks pregnant after checking with the salon and Fake bake helpline if it would be okay and they said it would be. If you are worried then use the body lotion with a hint of tan such as Johnssons as they are also fine (I checked) and only have a little bit of colouring in them. Like another poster has said, the tan only permeates the top layers of your skin and doesn't enter your blood.

msdemeanor Tue 02-Sep-08 11:01:29

I wouldn't think twice. Fake tans just go on the surface of the skin and nothing is absorbed into the body. Hormonal changes might make you more prone to allergic reactions so ask for a patch test first if you want to be ultra-safe.

anon786 Tue 02-Sep-08 11:14:51

THank you to everyone for their replies... I think I'll get the patch test beforehand and see what they say at the salon.

hanaflower Tue 02-Sep-08 11:17:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ewe Tue 02-Sep-08 11:33:08

I had several fake tans whilst pregnant, mainly fake bake and St.Tropez.

The active ingredient in fake tan is Dihydroxyacetone (DHA). It is a non-toxic substance that reacts with cells in the outermost layer of the skin and produces a brown pigment (colour) called melanoidin. The outer skin cells are already dead, and are shed as the skin constantly renews itself. This is why fake tan needs to be regularly re-applied to maintain the colour. The DHA doesn't go beyond the outer layer of skin and therefore isn't absorbed into the body. - NHS Direct

You are at an increased risk of allergy - to everything though, not just fake tan - and that is only reason to be cautious.

fragola Tue 02-Sep-08 11:34:12

I use this website to check what's in the products that I use:

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

EachPeachPearMum Tue 02-Sep-08 16:44:52

I was advised not to fake tan when I was bf, and the advice is the same for pg. The skin is an organ- you absorb things through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now