Talk

Advanced search

4th baby - my youngest almost 8 - am I in for a long haul (re birth)?

(7 Posts)
mum2bagain Sun 31-Aug-08 10:32:50

I've heard lots of different experiences from friends/my mum etc. some of them say with it being such a long gap between this one and last one, it might be like giving birth for the first time. I'm 36+6, so it's a little late to really be worrying about the impending birth, but I can't help it. No one knows how it will all pan out, but I'm just wondering if any of you have experiences of a big gap labour? Thanks all. x

AMumInScotland Sun 31-Aug-08 16:04:33

No personal experience I'm afraid, but I have heard people say that it takes your body about 5 years to change completely back after having a baby, so from that point of view the 8 years would mean it would be like the first time in that respect. Though obviously you know what it's like this time around, so it won't have the "unknown" element that the real first time has.

AbbeyA Sun 31-Aug-08 16:13:52

I had an 8 yr gap and it was much easier you will be pleased to know. I think it was mainly because I knew what to expect; the first time round it was a real fear of the unknown. It took DS1 and I a struggle to get the hang of breast feeding, the second time I knew exactly what I was doing. You think you have forgotten everything but it comes straight back. I think your body instinctively remembers. Good luck.

Marathon Sun 31-Aug-08 16:16:14

Gap of 7 and a 1/2 years between first two. First labour 21 hrs. Second labour 3 and a 1/2 hrs. Gap of 5 years between 2 and 3. Labour lasted 7 hours. Labour with biggest gap was the easiest. I really don't think the size of the gap matters though. Good luck.

SJLTM Sun 31-Aug-08 16:53:05

I had 3 under 5 and then an 8 yr gap. Once labour started (niggled for 5 days) really quick. Try not to worry to much and good luck.

mum2bagain Sun 31-Aug-08 18:42:18

Thanks everyone. I'm worrying about everything this time around, not sure why. I'm convinced baby is in posterior position, but midwife not mentioned it on examinations, she says head down and all ok, do you think I should get my doctor to check?

3littlefrogs Sun 31-Aug-08 18:43:55

I have 7 years between my middle and my youngest. My labour was 55 minutes from first contraction to delivery.........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now