Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help! I want to eat cleaning sponges...

(11 Posts)
pbo Sat 30-Aug-08 18:01:15

I'm 29 wks and for the last 2 weeks or so I've had this overwhelming urge to smell/hold/squeeze cleaning sponges. This has grown into a horrible desire to eat them. I've managed (so far) to limit myself to just smelling them but sometimes it feels like I'm going mad; I just love sponges. Am I crazy or is this relatively normal??

muggglewump Sat 30-Aug-08 18:08:36

I ate dozens of them when I was pregnant with DD. I used to cut them into bite size pieces and keep a supply in my pockets.
I have no idea if it's dangerous, I just assumed not

mum2bean Sat 30-Aug-08 18:10:52

i like sponge and bubble bath, with a bit of water, i also get a mad desire to munch on them, and i do blush although DP does not know lol

MrsBadger Sat 30-Aug-08 18:14:23

suck but do not swallow

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 30-Aug-08 18:15:26

My best friend had a thing about bubble bath and sponges too, she just had to chew sponges soaked in bath water and bubble bath.

All my cravings have been about how the texture feels in my mouth, but they have been food (oranges and kiwis)

mum2bean Sat 30-Aug-08 18:18:50

there is something about how the sponge feels, that and ice cubes OMG love the crunch lol

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 30-Aug-08 18:22:11

Oh yes ice cubes. That feel of crunching them between your teeth and the slight squeak when they break - lush

mum2bean Sat 30-Aug-08 18:24:22

drives my DP nuts, so glad he doesn't know about the sponges though, i already go through about 6 bags of ice a week, dont think i'd be able to find a good excuse for, oh but we need more sponges blush

lulumama Sat 30-Aug-08 18:27:40

it is called 'pica' - having cravings for non edible weird stuff , like coal, soil and sponges

it is something that does occur in some pregnancies and is an extension of natural pregnancy cravings!

i would follow the suck but not swallow advice if you can grin

MarkStretch Sat 30-Aug-08 18:28:56

boco does this all the time, even when not pg.

pbo Sat 30-Aug-08 19:43:18

Thank you!! I just got DH to read your comments and he realises now that's it's not just me grin makes me feel loads better that I'm not alone!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now