Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any clary sage experiences?

(19 Posts)
ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 30-Aug-08 17:49:56

I am 39 weeks and just spent a few minutes sniffing some cs oil. It was just out of curiosity really as I wanted to know what it smelt like.

After a few minutes of sniffing I had some bh's that lasted for about 5-10 minutes, and ever since the baby has been moving a lot.

Lesson learnt, I think I'll step away from the cs for a week or so. But I wondered what other people's experiences are?

SoupDragon Sat 30-Aug-08 17:50:35

It smelt foul and made me feel ill

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 30-Aug-08 17:56:55

I'd read on here that people found the smell horrible (the main reason for my sniffing in the 1st place), but I have to say I didn't find it offensive at all. I would happily bathe in it - although I would probably add lavender so I didn't smell like a twig.

SuperSillyus Sat 30-Aug-08 17:59:46

I like the smell. Last pregnancy when I was due I had a massage with cs and I had very powerfull bh all night...didn't sleep well. same again when I put some cs in the bath. I thought it was powerfull stuff!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 30-Aug-08 18:00:59

Do bh's tone the uterus?

makeminealargeoneplease Sat 30-Aug-08 18:04:16

Yes I used it alot in the bath at late stages of my last pregnancy. The contractions it caused were huge! But can't say it started anything off, I was a week over due.In my previous pregnancy I used it during early stages of labour as pain relief....it worked a tiny bit hmm

HeathersMummy Sat 30-Aug-08 18:08:19

I used by mistake during my pregnancy with DD when I was only 22 weeks gone - it was in some Radox. I ended up in hospital - they thought I had gone into premature labour! Thankfully not, but it's powerful stuff.

mum2bean Sat 30-Aug-08 18:09:07

not to jump onto a thread, but what is clary sage? i can gather it's a bath oil, but whats so good/bad about it?

SuperSillyus Sat 30-Aug-08 18:12:17

It's a herb.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 30-Aug-08 18:12:25

CS is an essential oil that can help with contractions. Some people use it to start off labour and also to strengthen flagging contractions. Burn it, bathe in it, inhale it, massage with it. People are warned to stay away from it until they are term.

Some people find it does naff all, so I was surprised with the way I reacted to it tbh.

SuperSillyus Sat 30-Aug-08 18:15:33

I do think bh tone up the uterus in preparation for labour. I get loads anyway but I did hope the cs would start things off for me.
I was 5 days overdue with my first three children and 4 days over for the clary sage baby.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 30-Aug-08 18:16:39

lol @ 'the clary sage baby'

makeminealargeoneplease Sat 30-Aug-08 18:16:42

Apparently it has a narcotic effect hmm, give me gas and air/something stronger anyday!!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 30-Aug-08 18:19:21

Oh, I've not heard about the narcotic effect.

Maybe I'll just have to sneak it out of the cabinet again smile

mum2bean Sat 30-Aug-08 18:21:17

i think i'll stick to the hot curry and stairs theory, cs doesn't sound very nice, but thanks for clearing that up for me grin

spottedandstriped Sat 30-Aug-08 19:49:39

I had some baths with it in and inhaled it whenever I passed when I was overdue. The contractions I had were extremely intense and I went from nothing to not being able to speak in about 15 minutes. I have no idea whether it was due to the clary sage as my baby was back to back with head deflexed but I would say use with caution....

Reesie Sat 30-Aug-08 20:31:42

Oooh I loved it. I was 12 days overdue with dd and due to be induced on Xmas day. I put a couple of drops in some E45 ceam and rubbed it over my bump. I started tightening about 10 mins after putting it on which carried on and then ny waters went a few hours later - followed by a lovely quick labour.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 31-Aug-08 09:26:50

Thanks for your experiences ladies.

After the bh last night I also had leaky boobs for the first time (sorry tmi!) this pregnancy.

It certainly does seem to be pretty powerful stuff in my case. Although I have to say that part of me wants to try it again today to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Maybe it's the narcotic effect taking hold already wink

SuperSillyus Sun 31-Aug-08 10:15:57

grin good luck! I shall look out for your birth announcement, may the (clary sage) force be with you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now