Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

hideous leg cramps at night

(18 Posts)
WheresTheAuPair Sat 30-Aug-08 11:56:42

i'm 32 weeks and woke up at 5am with the most hideous cramps in my lower legs- anyone had this and got any tips? they still hurt today but like a 'done far too much down the gym feeling' which of course I haven't blush

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 30-Aug-08 12:10:03

No tips really, just to say that I have had that a couple of times, it's quite common but horribly painful!

WheresTheAuPair Sat 30-Aug-08 13:17:18

didn't get these at all in my last PG- i can't believe that they still really hurt today! urgh sad

scorpio1 Sat 30-Aug-08 13:19:00

have a touch of salt on your evening meal, my mw told me and it went!

pinktree Sat 30-Aug-08 13:25:34

I had those...stand up and straighten your legs straight away.

My Grandma always said standing on anything cold really helped too - definitely helped me!

Good Luck

Katw3kitts Sat 30-Aug-08 13:28:19

Ditto Scorpios advice.

DontNeedAnything Sat 30-Aug-08 13:31:43

I had them too (both pgs). Banana's are supposed to help.

A word of warning though, the first time you go to get up after giving birth you will probably get immense cramps too (I got them inteh thoghs which was agony).

belgo Sat 30-Aug-08 13:47:03

point your toes upwards to stretch the calf muscles.

saramoon Sat 30-Aug-08 15:06:34

I had terrible leg cramps in both my pregnancies and only at night. Yes, try and straighten your legs and I used to try and get to a cold radiator and put my leg on it!!! Helped a bit. Think it is pretty normal during pregnancy.

WheresTheAuPair Sat 30-Aug-08 18:16:01

I did the toes upwards thing in the night which helped the initial cramps- tis the aftershocks that are killing now!!

will try the cold treatment-anything would be a help- feels like my legs are going to come off!! shock

Joolyjoolyjoo Sat 30-Aug-08 18:20:23

I used to get these, and thought it was one of the cruellest tricks played on pregnant women- you need to hurriedly leap out of bed to stretch them, but paradoxically when you are shaped like Orca and wedged between a careful arrangement of pillows, leaping anywhere hurriedly is an impossibility- I was like an upturned turtle, flipping about trying to get to my feet! My only tip is to train your other half to wake up and press your toes back for you!!

katch Sat 30-Aug-08 18:26:45

Before you go to bed, lean your elbows against the wall, head on fists, feet about a foot from wall (are you still with me?), then put one foot behind the other to stretch the calves, about 30 secs to a min on each side. Repeat, and enjoy a cramp-free night!

Califrau Sat 30-Aug-08 18:34:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Sat 30-Aug-08 18:36:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lauraloola Sat 30-Aug-08 18:37:14

I used to sleep with my feet on a pillow which seemed to help.

WheresTheAuPair Sun 31-Aug-08 08:25:58

lol at califrau! I can imagine how scary it must have been for him. Mine happened when DH was working away so no one could hear me scream!!! thanks for the stretching tips- i'll put them into action later smile

I know what you mean about the careful arrangement of pillows aswell- and its only when you get massive that they seem to hit! (6 more weeks to go...and breathe!)

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 31-Aug-08 08:43:11

a glass of tonic water before you go to bed is what my MW reccommended and it does work, also bananas

tinkhasanacrobatic Sun 31-Aug-08 09:08:46

i sleep with a long pillow between legs which seems to help as i get cramp in my left leg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now