Talk

Advanced search

Anomaly scan? What does it involve?

(12 Posts)
jamescagney Fri 29-Aug-08 14:13:02

I'm having an anomaly scan in 3 weeks, I'll be 20 weeks pg then. I've been referred as a sibling has spina bifida.
What can I expect? I've been reading up about AFP levels, but can't they be got from my bloods? Will it be nuchal fold measurement, or is that meant to take place around 12 weeks?
I've read so much I'm really confused...

jamescagney Fri 29-Aug-08 14:23:35

anyone? bumping..

lollipopmother Fri 29-Aug-08 14:25:03

The 20 week scan is a long one, they measure loads of different things such as the length of the limbs, the circumference of the head, stomach etc, they look at the heart and all sorts. However I don't believe this is the nuchal fold one, that would've been done at 12 weeks or possibly as late as 16 weeks.

poppy34 Fri 29-Aug-08 14:28:17

it is just a scan but a very detailed one - they'll measure all sorts of things (head circumference, femur length etc) to check for growth... will check all organs there and working if poss (eg heart pumping, lungs, kidneys etc) and blood flow /amount of amniotic fluid (as too much/little can be indicative of various issues). can also find out sex if you want then

also that placenta blood flow working and where its positioned - although its a bit too early to get panicked about low lieing placenta as bubs will still be moving.

nuchal fold is around 12 weeks and is one test of the marker for downs and other chromosomal abnormality - 20 weeks is more for structural type stuff (that may be part of genetic issues and may be separate)

jamescagney Fri 29-Aug-08 14:40:40

Thanks lollipopmother and poppy34. I havent' told work I'm pg yet and am hoping not too until I've had the scan and (hopefully) been reassured that everything is ok.
thanks for the information...smile

poppy34 Fri 29-Aug-08 14:44:26

very sensible..thats what i did too although lots had guessed.

dont be afraid to ask loads of questions.. I was aright pest

PortAndLemon Fri 29-Aug-08 14:47:20

Measuring lots of things, basically.

For spina bifida in particular they look at the cross-section of the base of the brain, IIRC (as apparently it's often a slightly distorted shape if there are issues with the spinal cord) and examine the spine carefully.

jamescagney Fri 29-Aug-08 15:03:09

thanks portandlemon. I expect that's what they will be concentrating on.
It's weird , dh doesn't want to know if anything is wrong and I do, so I'm going by myself. But I know if something is wrong, I'll tell him. Heigh ho

JezzaJ9 Fri 29-Aug-08 15:10:51

The sonographer on mine was Cr@p so make sure you ask questions! She only uttered 1 word to us to aske if we wanted to know the gender.

It looked really good, seeing lips and everything, lots of movements, I know they have to measure everything at this one but she could have talked us through stuff. Sorry to whing!

jamescagney Fri 29-Aug-08 15:15:50

Don't worry about whinging Jezza, that's what MN is here for!
Hope everything goes ok for you and your lo and for everyone, must go back to work now!
Thanks guys for your support smile

PortAndLemon Fri 29-Aug-08 16:51:29

My sonographer this last pregnancy was great and explained everything (which is why I know (or at least dimly remember) about the brain shape thing). It was fascinating. No one explained anything much at my scans with DS.

lowrib Tue 02-Sep-08 19:39:09

The really nice bit is you can expect to get a good look at your baby smile.

It's at the 20 week scan it kind of dawned on me - OMG it really is a little human!!!

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now