Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Oh bother, it's all going pear shaped.....

(10 Posts)
Roskva Fri 29-Aug-08 13:53:58

I had my 34 week appointment with the obstetrician today.

My baby has turned round and is now breech (not really surprised, I felt it happen last weekend)

My blood pressure is up - nothing to worry about, says obstetrician, who then adds in the next breath that she's getting the community midwife to come out to check my bp tomorrow

There are traces of protein in my urine, so off I go for a blood test

My accupuncturist who says she can turn breech babies in on holiday

Oh, and dh, in his usual non-supportive way, wants me to go for an elective c/s, which is what I want to avoid if at all possible (he can't stand the thought of having to be around while I'm in labour) - what the f&%k does he know about pain or major abdominal surgery????

rubles Fri 29-Aug-08 14:06:09

Try not to stress, things can work themselves out, you can make the best of things.

Firstly, your baby has plenty of time to turn again, if s/he turned once s/he can do another flip. If not you could consider the ECV in a couple of weeks.

Secondly, the traces of urine could have been to do with getting some discharge in there and nothing to do with your kidneys. It happened to me in my first pregnancy, but I was told to retest making sure I had washed before and then to use urine from the middle of the flow. The traces had gone then.

Thirdly, how long is your acupuncturist on holiday for? Lots of them will say they are able to turn babies so you could find another in the meantime until your regular comes back. I found an acupuncurist very good just for talking to, and you sound like you need to offload at the moment.

Finally, your dh, hmm. Not very helpful of him. Personally I think men who feel like that should not be around for the labour as I can't imagine him being a great help and support for you if he is going to hate seeing you in pain. Personally, and this is me, I'd get a doula/mum/sister/friend to support me for the labour and have him brought in just for the final minutes when birth is imminent. He could maybe come in and out, but he can escape if he is too stressed and you can have someone strong with you constantly to ensure you try and get the birth you want.

Roskva Fri 29-Aug-08 14:36:45

I've got an accupunture appointment for a week Weds, which is less than 48 hours before my ECV appointment on the Friday morning. There aren't any other accupuncturists around here (we live in the middle of nowhere), and to be honest, at this stage I would rather see someone I know and trust. In the meantime, is there anything I can try to encourage the baby to turn? I read somewhere that spending time on all fours might help, or is that an old wives tale?

Dh thinks of himself first and everyone else second, and is mightily peed off that I have asked him not to go on a business trip to Germany in 3 weeks time because it's too close to my due date. Hopefully my mum will be with me for the birth. What dd is going to think of being looked after by her dad and grandad could be interesting grin

bethdivine Fri 29-Aug-08 14:42:32

something here about half way down on what you can try to do at home. don't know how effective tho!

bethdivine Fri 29-Aug-08 14:42:34

something here about half way down on what you can try to do at home. don't know how effective tho!

Roskva Fri 29-Aug-08 15:06:17

thanks, I'll give it a go smile

hopefully Fri 29-Aug-08 15:10:24

There's a website called www.spinningbabies.com that I've seen recommended before (not used it though, been v lucky to have textbook baby!)

AnnVan Fri 29-Aug-08 15:35:44

Thankfully my DP is very supportive of what I want for my birth. Love that. He got quite annoyed at possibility that hospital might be awkward. He is understanding of the fact that epidurals/ c-sections freak me out big time. So at least I know I'll have someone supportive with me for the birth.
It's your body, I can't believe he wants you to go through major surgery just because HE'S uncomfortable with labour. I think you probably should go for a doula or friend/relative as a birth partner rather than your DH.

A lady on my antenatal thread had a breech baby. she said she turned it by turning somersaults and doing handstands in a swimming pool!

CuckooSplodgeandTubs Fri 29-Aug-08 15:39:00

Have you had a 'version'. A something Version I think it is called!

Sorry that's not helpful. I had one. My baby was only transverse though, not breech.

It was awful, horrible, worse than the birth in terms of feeling UNnatural.. But it worked. Don't mean to alarm you but knowing that might help you more feel at peace with a CS.

Roskva Fri 29-Aug-08 19:38:13

I'm booked for a version in 2 weeks time. The look on the obstetrician's face when I told her I wanted to try accupuncture first was a picture, and she ran off to talk to the consultant! But at least she wasn't completely against the idea of breech delivery, if that's what I want to go for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now