Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

can i have an opinion on this dress please?

(10 Posts)
mad4mybaby Fri 29-Aug-08 09:45:23

Brother is getting married in 5 weeks and have found this dress but alot cheaper elsewhere

www.seraphine.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=656&idcategory=47&SC1=29&SC2=47&title=Wedding+Dress %2C+Maternity+Dresses+%26+Skirts

hope that works. I know it is cream but i plan on dying it black. Do you think it is too much to wear? I know it says its a 'wedding' dres but id prob wear it as it shows in the middle picture. Really struggling to find something that i can afford and looks 'special' i dont want to look a frump and my bump is already huuuuuuuuge

dinkystinky Fri 29-Aug-08 09:48:41

It is lovely - really well cut and classic (so should be able to resell for good value on Ebay if you want to).

Would be concerned about dying it black (as dying cream black can end up as grey sometimes) - maybe another colour might work.

mad4mybaby Fri 29-Aug-08 09:50:48

hm... i really like it.. im only 5'4, do you think it would swamp someone short? Wanted black as it is the only colour that seems to 'balance' me out

laidbackinengland Fri 29-Aug-08 09:51:42

I'm off to two weddings in September, and also looked at this dress. think it's lovely, but agree with dinky that dying it could be a risky strategy. Have you looked at Isabella Oliver stuff (new and on ebay) or Crave maternity ? I've just bought a lovely silk black dress from Crave to wear to both weddings and then will flog it on ebay smile (justifies the cost in my book !)

laidbackinengland Fri 29-Aug-08 09:53:43

www.cravematernity.co.uk/CraveMaternitySite/product/dresses/DRS330.htm -this is the one I'm wearing.

pooka Fri 29-Aug-08 09:55:02

I would go for one of the shorter black dresses in their elegant section rather than the wedding dress dyed - just because you cannot be certain of the dye finish (i.e. what if the dye only fixes to the main fabric and not so much to the stitching, which is something that has happened to me in the past).

pooka Fri 29-Aug-08 09:55:58

Love the crave one - is gorgeous. Also different colours too.

mad4mybaby Fri 29-Aug-08 09:57:37

thats true, that happened to me too with the stitching. I love that crave dress but just cant afford that sort of money, as this one i found cheaper on ebay... being an 8 there is hardly ever anything 'special' on ebay in terms of maternity dresses for weddings...

lollipopmother Fri 29-Aug-08 10:37:57

Both of those dresses are gorgeous. Could you maybe dye it a different colour to black - red maybe?

fragola Fri 29-Aug-08 10:51:03

It's a lovely dress, but I'd be careful dying it, as it's dry clean only. Also, a lot of the time only the material takes the dye - the stiching stays the original colour as it's generally synthetic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now