Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm really confused about the position of my baby....36+4.....m/w says head down but I can't see how - help!!!

(12 Posts)
mum2bagain Thu 28-Aug-08 23:00:32

This is my 4th baby and I don't recall being panicked like this with the others, it's really playing on my mind.

I saw the m/w again yesterday and she says she can feel the head down, but unless my baby is an all mangled up, I can't see how. I only feel kicks/movement either really down below in my bladder sometimes, or on my right side, in line with my belly button or just below. I distinctively remember with the others knowing they we head down because of the kicks in my ribs etc., this just doesn't feel right. She also commented on how the baby is all on the right side, which he is, I have a lopsided bump, but she didn't seem concerned at all. I don't want to go into labour and find out he is in the wrong position. How can I find out for sure? Is anyone else confused, or have a lopsided bump? I'd really appreciate your positions? How can you tell where your baby is lying?

Thanks everyone.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 28-Aug-08 23:04:26

Message withdrawn

LackaDAISYcal Thu 28-Aug-08 23:07:11

He could be in a transverse (across the way) or unstable lie, so that your MW is catching him when he is head down,but you notice the across the way more often. I would ask for a second opinion tbh. My MW told me DD was head down, obs at 36 weeks said transverse, but she did a spectacular turn at about 38 weeks (it hurt....A LOT) and when she was delivered by CS the obs said she had been breach for a very long time as she had crossed legs and was very curled up.

All that aside.....this site has some useful advice on determining your baby's position.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 28-Aug-08 23:07:40

Cross post starlight smile

KSal Mon 01-Sep-08 12:56:27

My baby kicks in similar places to yours and has been head down for the past few weeks. basically the head is down and looking to one side, the back is up the right hand side with the bum at the top and the feet are over on the left... all sideways on!

in fact he changed sides today, but still head down. I get some movement down quite low, which i assume is little hands by the head.

for a long time we thought he was transverse simply due to the odd shape of my tummy, with a big bump either side of my belly button, but it turns out its bum and feet. I'm nearly 3 weeks now by the way

KSal Mon 01-Sep-08 12:57:38

sorry, typo! 35 weeks..!

mum2bagain Mon 01-Sep-08 13:19:06

Ksal It's good to know I'm not on my own. If you know what I mean.

My baby is still in the same position, in fact, I have a GP appointment today, because every time I mention it to the midwife, that I think he's possible posterior and transverse, she just passes it off. I have a feeling something's not quite right and need to satisfy myself. This is my 4th baby and the others were very straight forward, I feel like I'm not right in the head at times with this one, lol.

I can feel legs and feet going across the top of my bump, and legs stick out my right side. I'm hoping he really is head down, which the doc will tell me today, but the posterior thing can be as much of a problem, i.e. difficult more painful birth. I only have 3 weeks to go and it can't come quick enough, it seems like forever. Apart from that I feel really well. Are you feeling ok? Are you looking forward to the impending birth?

fernie3 Mon 01-Sep-08 13:19:45

hi
both of mine were firmly head down quite early on but I still felt movement low down. perhaps it is moving its head or even giving you a tickle with its hands?

sophie

KSal Mon 01-Sep-08 14:48:57

This is my first and at the moment i am just glad he is head down. I'm feeling pretty well at the moment, but unfortunately seem to have pregnancy induced hypertension so i've just got my fingers crossed that my blood pressure stays low on the medication and i don't have to be induced!

I have read that to get the baby to be facing the back you should lean forward from the hips while sitting... what i don't get is although that makes sense, surely all the good work is undone when you are sleeping on your side?!

mum2bagain Mon 01-Sep-08 15:14:23

From everything i've read, it says, don't sleep on your back. I don't intentionally, but no matter how hard I try, I've been waking up on my back for the past few weeks, so I agree, I think baby is gonna roll straight back to the same position. Every time I go to the midwife, I expect her to say my BP is sky high, and its always spot on - don't know why, I seem to be worrying myself silly over every little thing this time. I think we have a tough few weeks ahead of us. No matter how much I want it to happen now, I bet I go over my dates shock hope not

I might have a cheeky nap now before dh comes home from work.

lou031205 Mon 01-Sep-08 15:47:40

^'
' '' '
O'

That is a really rubbish little diagram, but that is how my DD was. So, kicks all low down, but head down also. GP should be able to reassure you.

Also, with DD2, she was transverse when I went into threatened prem-labour, but they scanned me and said that she was 'cephalicy' - in other words, her head was down enough that they were confident the body would follow, although she was very close to transverse in the rest of her body.

mum2bagain Mon 01-Sep-08 20:27:02

Hi, that's what the doctor said. She said his head is well down, but his body is lying transversely, which does happen in multiple pregnancies. She said a first baby is more than likely going to be straight up and down. I feel well assured and relaxed now. She also said he is posterior, but, when I go into labour, if he's not turned by then, the contractions will help to turn him, which is why posterior babies are a lot more painful, because the contractions have to work a lot harder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now