Talk

Advanced search

At 28 weeks is it too late to ask for a homebirth?

(13 Posts)
misdee Thu 28-Aug-08 21:47:19

as my last GTT appears to have come back normal (haven had a call from the hospital to say otherwise, appointment is on monday), i really would love a homebirth. i labour pretty quick, and have had no complications aside from GTT in last pregnancy which meant that dd3 spent some time in scbu.

all babies have been healthy and good agpars. with dd1 was home the following day as had her at night, and with dd2 was home within 6hours.

So can i ask for one?

what do i need to know?

Thanks

Tangle Thu 28-Aug-08 21:57:27

The only time it's too late to tell your HCPs you're having a home birth is when you get to the hospital in labour wink

That said, they'd probably prefer a bit of notice . at 28 weeks you should be fine. Have you seen www.homebirth.org.uk?

yogabird Thu 28-Aug-08 21:59:28

do go for it at home, i did and it was so lovely. Good luck!

misdee Thu 28-Aug-08 22:11:49

thanks. aqm checking that website out now.

would love to hear from people in the herts area who have had a homebirth. i really dont want to go to hospital this time, have spent far too long in them, and always just want to get home and go to my own bed and rest properly.

babylove123 Thu 28-Aug-08 22:21:42

Im 28 weeks and told the midwife 2 weeks ago. They will only let you have one if the baby is correct at 37 weeks and you've no complications so you're not too late to tell them.

Good luck - hope you get yours, im hoping for mine!!!

PortAndLemon Thu 28-Aug-08 22:24:05

Shouldn't be a problem - I have friends who've decided far later than that/

ladytophamhatt Thu 28-Aug-08 22:27:20

I changed to a HB at 36 weeks with ds3.

and changed from a HB to hospital at about 39 weeks wit ds4....

misdee Thu 28-Aug-08 22:31:12

fab thanks.

Heartmum2Jamie Thu 28-Aug-08 22:41:40

Go for it Misdee!!! I just called my midwife yesterday to tell her I want a homebirth and am 31 weeks. I do think she is going to try and fob me off when I see her next and use ds2's condition against me, but it won't wash. If I have learned 1 thing from having ds2, it's how to stand my ground, lol!

Good luck!!

Tangle Thu 28-Aug-08 22:53:07

As Mary Cronk would say, "Allow is not a word to use to a mentally competent adult."

There may be circumstances where you would be foolhardy or very illadvised to do so and there may be circumstances where it would be against your hospital's protocol to do so. That doesn't mean you can't have a homebirth - at the end of the day it is your choice where you plan to birth your baby and your MWs have a duty of care to support you in that choice.

Sorry - I'm honestly not a militant pro-homebirther. I just think women should be encouraged to make their own decisions about something that can have such a profound impact on their mental and physical health.

Tangle Thu 28-Aug-08 22:58:07

btw, if anyone needs support on getting a homebirth the homebirthUK mailgroup has a lot of ladies subscribed that have, collectively, seen just about every "reason" for denying or resisting a homebirth under the sun. Some are a LOT less valid than others. Worth knowing about, especially if you're anticipating problems.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 28-Aug-08 23:02:09

Message withdrawn

Heartmum2Jamie Thu 28-Aug-08 23:05:41

Ahhhh, that would explain why my midwife said we had plenty of time then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now