Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

32 Weeks but fewer movements, what could it mean?

(22 Posts)
firsttimer08 Thu 28-Aug-08 08:40:30

I'm 32 weeks now and for the last few days I've been feeling fewer movements - before DS was v. active, so i'm wondering whether this is really just part of the third trimester or something to be concerned about?

The midwife had mentioned to me that as long as I feel 10 kicks a day, its all ok - i've certainly felt 10 kicks a day, but they are far less than before.

I was reading about pregnancy complications last night (shouldn't have done that) because now i'm convinced that DS might have the nuchal cord wrapped around or sthg like that.

Tried calling midwife this morning, but the answering machine cuts you off immediately - i couldn't even leave my phone number !

belgo Thu 28-Aug-08 08:44:06

I would get this checked out, maybe phone your labour ward if you can't get hold of the midwife?

Babies movements can decrease as labour approaches, but 32 weeks is early for this to be happening.

Have it checked for your own reassurance.

twofalls Thu 28-Aug-08 08:46:32

Might not be anything but please get it checked out by your midwife.

twofalls Thu 28-Aug-08 08:47:40

Sorry, meant to say what belgo said about the labour ward. It is probably absolutely nothing to be worried about but always best to check these things out. Let us know how you get on.

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 28-Aug-08 08:49:21

How many days has he been quieter for? Ds just had a quieter than usual 3 days or so, but then got v active again (35 weeks now).

If you're worried then always worth getting it checked out though, so keep trying to get hold of your mw.

ajm200 Thu 28-Aug-08 08:50:06

It may just be that your baby has moved into a different position so that you feel less of his movements.

As Belgo says, it won't hurt to get checked out. Give the maternity ward at your local hospital a ring and they will arrange for you to go in so that baby can be monitored.

Wear a top that allows them to have easy access to to your tummy as they will need to put two straps round your bump. Take a wee sample too as they always want one.

If you are on your own, take a magazine or book too as you may be there for a while.

belgo Thu 28-Aug-08 09:24:42

let us know what happenssmile

firsttimer08 Thu 28-Aug-08 10:39:07

thanks for all the advice. can't seem to get hold of the midwives - it might well be that the baby has moved positions because before i was feeling kicks mostly on the left side and now the little that i am feeling is on the right side.

would the maternity ward be able to see me in the evening too? or like the scans, does this strap thing that they will put on is done during the morning only? i have an important work meeting and thought i could go to the hospital straight from there rather than leave now. That way DH can also join me.

yes will definitely keep you guys posted - thanks again.

Romy7 Thu 28-Aug-08 10:43:22

definitely get checked, and insist they don't fob you off with 'it's probably a change of position'... really important to get a trace done as well as a scan etc.
hope all ok.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 28-Aug-08 10:50:24

Message withdrawn

ajm200 Thu 28-Aug-08 10:59:02

Maternity wards are 24 hours, they have to be

If your community midwife team aren't available, just call the hospital ward, they won't mind.

Best to call the ward before turning up as they like to know who they are expecting and if they have a rush of births on they may ask you to wait for an hour or so.

LaTrucha Thu 28-Aug-08 10:59:57

My MWs were really good about this so don't be shy. It's really fine to get checked. Don't see why they couldn't do it in the evening. They did me at 9 on a Sunday morning.

birdinatent Thu 28-Aug-08 11:01:51

could just be baby running out of space as he is growing. did happen with my pregnancys seem to remember, went and had a trace done cos I was concerned but all was fine

ellideb Thu 28-Aug-08 11:01:57

Babies do slow down their movements late in the 3rd trimester just because there is less room for them to move around as it's more cramped in there. If you are feeling the 10 movements a day then I wouldn't worry about it.

lollipopmother Thu 28-Aug-08 11:08:01

Do you have an anterior placenta? This coupled with a change in the position of the baby can make it feel like the movements are reduced quite significantly - gave me a bit of a shock when it happened to me.

belgo Thu 28-Aug-08 19:01:47

any news firsttimer?

twofalls Thu 28-Aug-08 21:04:31

hope everything was ok firsttimer.

rascal1979 Thu 28-Aug-08 23:09:48

Hi firsttimer sure all is okay but def get checked out, if nothing else to put your mind at rest.

I delivered DD at 30+6 wks in December due to HELLP/Pre-eclampsia and reduced movements was something that I experienced.

Sure that you are fine but will do no harm to get checked out by your GP/MW - ask them to check your Urine and take PET bloods to make sure all okay.

Pre-eclampsia can come on very suddenly and and develop really quickly so always better to be safe than sorry.

Agree with what others have said about change in position of baby can reduce the number of movements you feel but looking back at my pregnancy diary this was something I experienced in the week before DD was delivered and I put it down to position when infact it was probably due to the pre-eclampsia.

firsttimer08 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:53:47

hi all, i spoke to the midwife and she reassured me quite a bit. ASked me to do a kick chart and recommended that if i felt very concerned, I can go in to the hospital.

I've been monitoring the kicks/movements and baby was not v. active in the morning, but after eating my first meal, he's been doing well. Getting about 10 movements/flutters at least in the hour.

I'll continue monitoring over the weekend and go in to the hospital if necessary.

Rascal, of course all this was before I saw your message now. I'll keep in mind again over the weekend and see how i feel.

rascal1979 Fri 29-Aug-08 20:58:05

hi firsttimer - sure you will be fine! here's a link to a great website, if you get any of the symptoms give your labour ward a ring

http://www.apec.org.uk/

katch Fri 29-Aug-08 21:57:37

Hi firsttimer - glad it sounds more positive. As another poster said, don't feel shy about going to hospital - they're glad to put you at ease.

Years ago, my preg yoga teacher swore by a big glass of cold fresh orange juice to make the baby move. Can't remember if I tried it, but some people said it worked.

firsttimer08 Sun 31-Aug-08 17:15:30

yes that's true, its just i've already been to the hospital twice (once at 8 weeks and then again before my 20 week) with false alarms - they might stop seeing me (just kidding !).

Today was great, baby has been really active - phew ! Just watching out for any other symptoms based on rascal's post. Good thing is that my BP is in fact more on the low side than the high side - so less of a worry.

will try the cold orange juice next time i get my panic attack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now