Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

hello everyone :o

(14 Posts)
boo71 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:33:46

just had my bookin app.today. midwife says i need to think about tests for downs? not sure to let nature be or have the tests.im 37 and have 2 children already. advice will be much appreciated.thanks.

PussinJimmyChoos Wed 27-Aug-08 21:37:38

Hello and welcome

Its a very personal thing to decide whether to have the tests or not.

A friend of mine declined any tests as she knew that if the baby had Downs, it would still be wanted and abortion was not an option. On the other hand, others like to know in order to be prepared should the results come back positive for Downs. Others want to know and take action...again, its all very personal and down to the choice of the individual.

What do you feel about it deep down?

sunshine185 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:38:44

i'm 37 too pregnant with ds2, i would suggest the standard combined test of the nuchal scan and 12 weeks bloods... i had this done with ds1 and he was fine.

i wouldn't suggest the integrated test, i did both with totally conflicting results and wish i hadn't done the integrated, funnily enough the hospital (UCH London) is scrapping them next year and only doing the combined!! wonder why!

madmouse Wed 27-Aug-08 21:44:07

It all depends on what you think you would want to do. I would never consider a termination due to my faith and therefore I decided to refuse all tests.

bear in mind that blood tests and nuchal test only give you a risk figure that can be high or low. For example a high risk for Downs is 1 in 250, but that still means that 249 in 250 have no Downs.

The only way to be sure is to have an amnio or cvs, which is invasive and carry a chance of miscarriage. There is a 1% chance of losing a healthy baby in an attempt to find out whether they are disabled.

If you feel that you could not possibly cope with a child with a serious disability and that you would want to consider termination, then have tests done as soon as possible.

it is a personal decision and no-one (including christians like me wink have a right to judge you either way.

boo71 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:46:42

i dont think i could have a termination,its against what i believe.... i worry about -if id be able to give that child what it needs in th
is strange society

LittlePushka Wed 27-Aug-08 21:46:58

This is a tough call - very emotive question!! Will flush out lots of differnet feelings.

Firstly, I think that whatever you choose is right,...bcause you have made the choice. I also think that you

Secondly I can only say that for us personally we decided that whatever the outcome of a test we would not terminate. So in our opinion that rendered any test pointless.

If it is any consolation I never worried about the possibilities - I enjoyed every day of my PG and was happy to accept whatever would pass. One of the reasons, especially for second child (was 40 when he was born and almost 39 when firt was born)..was that we felt that if any accident or health problem befell our healthy child after he was born, we would still absolutely love and adore him

A very personal view and in no way is advice or comment on any othe choice. smile

boo71 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:48:59

thankyou all for your thoughtful thoughts x

LittlePushka Wed 27-Aug-08 21:51:40

Sorry, bit missing was;

I also think that you could consider what level of risk, for you, is high. Again to me personally, a 50:50 chance is high risk,..not the 1 in 180 or whatever the test would show.

boo71 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:52:08

i feel deep down that i just want to let things be natural. its just scary sometimes.

boo71 Wed 27-Aug-08 22:00:16

message back to "sunshine". are you finding your pregnancy more tiring this time as you are 37 like me? i have been sooo sick- yuk!!

LittlePushka Wed 27-Aug-08 22:04:12

Then so be it Boo,...I hope that you do not feel too scared too often. You already know thaat the PG will be at full term in almost the blink of an eye so I hope you have peace with your decision, whatever it shall be.

Best wishes

boo71 Wed 27-Aug-08 22:07:59

thankyou so much-you have a very reasurring manner

boo71 Wed 27-Aug-08 22:11:46

i am really happy-apart from being soooo sick!!i will try not to worry so and be more positive

LittlePushka Wed 27-Aug-08 22:18:37

Thank you Boosmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now