Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

abseiling - ok at 7 weeks pregnant?

(39 Posts)
snuffkin Wed 27-Aug-08 21:20:07

I thought I posted this earlier but maybe not... so this abseiling has been booked for a while (at centerparcs so it's not a mammoth abseil) and I really want to do it but wondered if it's still advisable at 7 weeks pregnant. Any opinions?

Bluestocking Wed 27-Aug-08 21:23:51

I wouldn't have done it, and I think the person in charge would be appalled if he/she found out.

mummyandbaby Wed 27-Aug-08 21:31:01

You must be crazy to even consider it.

sunshine185 Wed 27-Aug-08 21:34:39

personally i wouldn't take the risk!!! i didn't even use the hoover in my first trimester having mc previousy!!!

EasyRider Wed 27-Aug-08 21:35:33

i would not bother

whatdayisit Wed 27-Aug-08 21:38:45

Why not? - the actual physical exertion is not that different to going downstairs is it? and you're less likely to fall as you'll be all strapped in.

snuffkin Wed 27-Aug-08 22:26:48

Thanks for your opinions ladies but my question is echoing what whatdayisit said, WHY do you think it is unwise? Does anyone know of any medical etc advise on this matter?

Nooooo..
what if you slipped?

snuffkin Wed 27-Aug-08 22:33:47

I will of course be all harnessed up so if I slipped I wouldn't go very far!
And surely at 7 weeks the embroyo is so tiny and concealed within my flesh that I wouldn't actually be able to bang it as you would in later pregancy (when I would not consider this idea at all!)
I had a healthy fit and active full-term first pregnancy a couple of years ago (cycled until 1 week before the baby was due) so don't have the very real worries of someone who has previously miscarried for example. Though of course I know there's a first time for everything - I'm not being cavalier about this...

Yes but the harness will be around your sromach and will constrict if you slipped..

I wouldn't do it persoanlly.

whatdayisit Wed 27-Aug-08 22:41:41

Harness is round your legs isn't it?

Depends if you're a I'm not taking any chances type I suppose. For DS1 I did go out of my way not to do anything strenuous, then with DS2, I was regularly karting a heavy toddler around, in fact the bump made a handy resting place smile. I'd take some convincing now that all this "care" actually makes any difference TBH. Sadly, if it's not meant to be...

My only reservation might be that if something (that may have happened anyway) did go wrong, would you blame yourself?

ButIForgetMyself Thu 28-Aug-08 06:31:54

Are you informing them that you're pregnant? I think they main issue is that if something DID go wrong with the abseil then any insurance claim would be void due to an undisclosed pregnancy.

SummerLightning Thu 28-Aug-08 09:37:42

I would but I'd probably tell them and then they'd probably say it wasn't a good idea! And then I'd be annoyed grin

I think it's less dangerous than climbing for example as don't you always have tension on the rope and you're kind of letting yourself down? So not so much scope for "falling" if you see what I mean.

orangehead Thu 28-Aug-08 09:41:47

No I wouldnt

belgo Thu 28-Aug-08 09:43:47

You'll have to ask centre parcs. The chances are they don't allow pregnant women to do these sorts of sports.

ScaryHairy Thu 28-Aug-08 09:44:30

I am pretty cautious but I reckon I would do this.
The harness does not put an excessive amount of pressure on your tum (otherwise it would injure non-pregnant people).
Whether the abseiling people would agree to let you is a different matter.

belgo Thu 28-Aug-08 09:46:19

I agree with scairyhairy - I'm sure abseiling in centre parcs is extremely safe (far safer then skiing, or even cycling on a busy street!)

But I doubt that centre parcs would let pregnant women do it, as they have to cover themselves.

SummerLightning Thu 28-Aug-08 09:56:37

I looked into whether you were allowed to do "Go Ape" which is probably more risky than abseiling, they let you do it but make you sign a disclaimer, so this might be the same.

lollipopmother Thu 28-Aug-08 11:15:35

I wouldn't have thought anything of it at 7 weeks. The harness takes the weight on the back of your legs not your stomach, and seeing as you can fall flat on your face at 30 odd weeks and there be no harm to your baby whatsoever I would personally not be worried about a harness at 7 weeks. HOWEVER, I would still tell the people at Centre Parcs that I was pregnant and then go from there.

I have done abseiling a couple of times, the worst injury I got was a grazed knee because somehow or other when I went to touch down I did it too close to the rock with a bent knee!

lollipopmother Thu 28-Aug-08 11:16:45

Summerlightning - Go Ape is bloody brilliant, muuuuch better than abseiling!

PortAndLemon Thu 28-Aug-08 11:22:09

I don't think there's any risk. I wouldn't do it but then I wouldn't abseil when not pregnant. You will probably have to sign some disclaimer stating that you aren't pregnant if you want to do it, though.

Moomin Thu 28-Aug-08 11:27:53

My friend abseiled at 7 and a half months pg shock but I have to add she was one of those freaky 'hidden pregnancy' people you occasionally hear about and didn't know she was pg. So it didn't harm her or the baby... but I guess that's not the same as you are asking!

minouminou Thu 28-Aug-08 12:39:14

having been something of a climber in my younger days, and, being 7 weeks pregnant now, i'd go for it, but if you start feeling dizzy/sick (not as a result of the exertion, but just MS etc) then give it a rest.
if you fall, it's your bum and the back of your thighs that takes the brunt of the harness (IYSWIM)
but also, do tell them, as you may have to sign stuff
enjoy!!!!!

charitygirl Thu 28-Aug-08 14:38:15

I'd do it - heavens to betsy, the early responses are ridiculous.

Highlander Thu 28-Aug-08 15:02:35

you'll be fine. Your uterus is still confined within your pelvis so even if you fell flat on your tummy, chances are you'd be fine.

If you slip on an abseil the tension pulls your waistbelt away from your tummy and tightens around your thighs.

I developed terrible vertigo when preggers with DS1 - be warned!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now