Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

SLIGHTY ELEVATED LIVER ENZYMES

(24 Posts)
ellac Wed 27-Aug-08 15:42:53

HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS DURING PREGNANCY?

Helen16 Wed 27-Aug-08 19:33:44

Yes I had HELLP syndrome and this was one of the symptoms. Check out wikipedia for more details. How many weeks along are you now?

ajm200 Wed 27-Aug-08 19:35:35

I had it with pre-eclampsia too. Talk to your MW, she'll explain what it means.

WobblyPig Wed 27-Aug-08 19:38:45

Which of the enzymes? All of them or just one or two. There are 4 main liver enzymes and the pattern of them is important is finding out what is wrong.
Have you had high blood pressure or protein in the urine

Aubergenie Wed 27-Aug-08 23:52:23

It can be a sign of obstetric cholestasis. I am currently being monitored for this as my ALT level is raised, but other bloods are OK. Do you know which are raised and by how much?

LiegeAndLief Thu 28-Aug-08 09:28:10

Yep I had elevated liver enzymes due to pre-eclampsia and obstetric cholestasis. Have you been diagnosed with anything?

Aubergenie Thu 28-Aug-08 09:34:30

LiegeandLief - Can I ask what happened? How high were your levels and did they need to induce you early?

TheMadHouse Thu 28-Aug-08 09:35:03

During both my sucessful pregnancies and my 4 miscarriages I havd rasied ALT's and Billy Ruben levels.

Infact I have had liver scans, Had to have my gall blader removed when 20 weeks pregnant with DS1 and loads of blood tests.

The reasons were never found out. I had really excessive sickness and have subsequently been found to have a natually high liver function level (gilberts syndrome)

ellac Thu 28-Aug-08 10:06:04

HI.
GOING BACK TO THE HOSPITAL LATER TODAY.
I AM 25 WEEKS PREGNANT WITH TWINS.
THEY HAD TAKEN BLOOD TO RULE OUT HEP A,B AND C.
IT'S MY FIRST PREGNANCY SO AM REALLY FREAKED OUT!

ellac Thu 28-Aug-08 10:14:51

Just to add, that my blood pressure has been fine and there is no protein in my urine. I have been itching though. will find out later I suppose.

ajm200 Thu 28-Aug-08 10:25:57

Ellac, Good luck for later. Don't worry too much, they will tell you what the raised levels mean. It may not be anything to worry about yet. Some of my tests have shown stuff that needed to be checked only to find that the repeat test was clear.

Everyone on MN means well but most of us aren't medically trained so are just sharing what happened to us. We can tell you about all sorts of things that will never happen to you. Better than google though wink

Good luck for later.

LiegeAndLief Thu 28-Aug-08 11:08:06

Ellac, ajm200 is right, you may well be fine - good luck at the hospital today!

Aubergine, I think at their highest my ALT levels were nearly 300, although I can't remember very well as it was 2 years ago. I also had very bad pain under my ribs which was coming from my liver. Think this was mostly the pre-eclampsia though. Ds was delivered by cs at 34+3 after another pain under ribs episode and some very high bp readings, but again this was the PE - am afraid I don't know what would have happened if I had just had OC, although I was taking urso to help control it. Best of luck with your pg.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Thu 28-Aug-08 12:28:50

It can be a sign of obstretic cholestasis - they should check this out. Definitely mention the itching to them, as this is a symptom, particularly if it's on your hands and/or feet. They should keep monitoring you and taking blood for the remainder of your pg, and if the levels rise significantly may induce you a bit early. Hope you can try not to worry too much.

Aubergenie Fri 29-Aug-08 09:26:04

Ellac - How did you get on at the hospital? As Fattifpussandthinnifers says the itching can be a sign of obstetric cholestasis. As I mentioned before they are monitoring me in case I develop this as my ALT levels are raised. In my case I have to go to hospital twice a week for blood tests and fetal monitoring. One of the blood tests is a bile acid test that I believe can give you a definite diagnosis. This needs to be done regularly. Like you my BP and urine are OK and I've got no other symptoms e.g. itching so they are sending me for a liver scan as well to see what is going on. This is my first pregnancy and I agree, it's really worrying isn't it, but apparently it is possible for the levels to go back to normal so everything could be fine, but just make sure they are monitoring you regularly.

LiegeandLief - That sounds like a very scary time. I hope all was well with DS.

aquariusgirl Fri 29-Aug-08 09:59:12

Alkaline phosphatase is often raised in pregnancy - obs cholestasis generally is itching on palms of hands and soles of feet strangely often with no rash and more common in south american women - must google Gilberts syndrome

spicemonster Fri 29-Aug-08 10:14:56

It's definitely possible for levels to go back to normal - it happened to me (and I was itching like crazy too).

aquariusgirl Fri 29-Aug-08 10:18:45

also itched when i had epidural put in but that was something different!

ellac Fri 29-Aug-08 15:24:27

HI EVERYONE. THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. SEEMS AS THOUGH THE ITCHING MAY HAVE BEEN DRY SKIN!
TURNS OUT THAT AT SOME STAGE IN MY LIFE I CAUGHT HEPATITIS A! NO HARM TO BABIES WHICH IS WHAT I WAS MOST WORRIED ABOUT.

ellac Fri 29-Aug-08 15:26:01

once you have hep a, you cannot get it again!
the dr said i have nothing at all to worry about!
i used to be in the raf, so i probably got it from some dodgy war torn country that i had been to!!!

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 17:05:04

Glad to hear that your baby is ok and this won't affect your pregnancy.

ajm200 Fri 29-Aug-08 17:06:02

A few drops of bio-oil in the bath are great for dry skin and preventing/reducing stretch marks too.

Expensive but a little goes a long way

Aubergenie Fri 29-Aug-08 22:35:17

That's great news Ellac. I'm really glad you and the baby are both fine!

alibaabaa Tue 02-Sep-08 22:06:09

I'm glad for you too ellacberylbearnose!!

Dave50000 Mon 02-Nov-09 15:26:10

Hello, It really can be an un-nearving experience when you feel fine and your doctor tells you that there is something wrong, ie high ALT's or PET (Pre-Eclampsia) or Obstetric Diabetes, High blood pressure etc etc. My wife had the lot, during our 1st born, Pre-eclampsia, Diabetes, Obstetic Cholestisis, High Blood Pressure, so as you can imagine being a high risk mother (only 35 years old) she was induced early, which ended up being a C-Section. Now a week later mother and baby are doing very well, so what i am trying to get across is that although on the face of it things can look really quite worrying, stay positive, be very carefull with diet, (you can avoid the insulin injections Jo managed to), listen to the doctors (they see similar things to your problems all the time), the end result is most definatelty going to be worth it all in the end..Good Luck, and dont panic!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now