Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pain under ribs

(14 Posts)
Fufulina Wed 27-Aug-08 13:59:05

Hi - I'm 26+3 and the last week or so, I've had the worst pain under my ribs on the left side. Is there anything anyone can recommend t alleviate it (other than standing up, which unfortunately, isn't an option at my desk for 8 sodding hours a day!).

Thanks very much

islandlassie Wed 27-Aug-08 14:06:42

Just whine about it - to anyone that will listen. A lot of whinging really helped me in this pregnancy!

OR prod your belly (not too hard) in the hope that baby will move into a different position.

But unfortunately it only gets worse from here on in!

hanaflower Wed 27-Aug-08 14:09:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SydneyB Wed 27-Aug-08 14:14:06

I had this with DD and still have a numb bit of skin 2 years later. Now, 8 months pg with my 2nd, although I had it again at about 26-30 weeks it's gone now as this chap seems to have dropped right down away from my ribs. Now I get agonising pain in other areas..

Fufulina Wed 27-Aug-08 14:15:01

Thanks ladies - have tried whinging, but no-one takes much notice, and have tried prodding him - but how hard is too hard..??? And he sems quite firmly wedged where he is. Have been in pain for over a week.

Am outraged grin.

hanaflower Wed 27-Aug-08 14:19:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

islandlassie Wed 27-Aug-08 14:19:49

Ah the joy of pregnancy!

Fufulina Wed 27-Aug-08 14:23:59

SydneyB - that is comforting and alarming in equal measure..!

And have checked out spinningbabies - how fabulous is that picture on the home age of the pregnant belly with the baby on it!

mrsboogie Wed 27-Aug-08 15:58:00

Fufulina -when did you last see your midwife? I don't want to scare you but sometimes pain under the ribs can be a sign of pre- eclampsia. If you haven't seen her since you have had it it wouldn't hurt to give her a call. The baby's position shouldn't really cause you actual pain like that.

SydneyB Wed 27-Aug-08 16:00:45

Remember at some point, he'll just have to move!

wasabipeanut Wed 27-Aug-08 16:03:03

Oh Fufulina I can remember this pain. My ds used to kick me so hard it would feel like burning. And his little ankles seemed to be permanently lodged in my rib cage.

Unfortunately, you're just going to have to get used to it because it does rather tend to get worse over time.

Enjoy your pregnaqncy grin

Carnival Wed 27-Aug-08 16:11:29

I have to tickle-torture my DD's feet sometimes to pay her back for hooking her toes into my ribs and swinging when I was pg with her. It was really, really bad when I was driving. Thankfully, she eventually grew too big to do whatever it was she was doing, I think it lasted about 6 weeks iirc.

I didn't have pre-eclampsia, but as mrs b says, it might be worth getting checked.

Good luck with the spinning!!!

ajm200 Wed 27-Aug-08 16:18:31

I remember that pain well.

All you can do is encourage your LO to move. I sat on my office chair backwards, leaning over the back to reach the keyboard to get my son to move into a more comfortable position.

He also used to scratch the same spot at the base of my womb during all of his waking hours. It used to really get sore.

Fufulina Wed 27-Aug-08 16:39:49

Hi ladies - mrsboogie, I have my next appointment next Tuesday, so will definitely raise it then - thanks for the flag. Although I feel well other than this pain - and Carnical - so hearing you – driving is a nightmare!

Thanks very much ladies. Symptom number 675 that I didn't sign up for. Humph...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now