Talk

Advanced search

I just made my nipple leak colostrum!

(18 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 09:20:10

Learnt how to self express last night, and after a very weird dream I gave it a go this morning and a bit of colostrum came out! I'm finding this far more exciting than it probably is...

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 09:21:26

grin I'm pregnant with my third baby, and I breastfed both dd1 and DD2.

But I was still very excited when I started 'leaking' during this pregnancy!

How many weeks are you?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 09:38:35

38 nearly! It's all getting very real....

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 10:15:05

grin

AnnVan Wed 27-Aug-08 10:33:34

Hmm - I'm coming up to 40 weeks and haven't leaked at all.
Well I think I may have had one tiny drop once - clear and slightly sticky, does that sound right? Oh god, I'm not normal. I'll have to formula feed eeek eeek.

hanaflower Wed 27-Aug-08 10:37:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 10:38:49

That's it, and don't worry, it only came out because I was stimulating the breast - and I realised i was trying to do it wrong before! Try putting thumb above the nipple and 1st 2 fingers below, then squeeze and release a few times, don't try to 'milk' yourself just squeeze and release, if nothing comes out try again in 2 hours, she said that the milk ducts are on a time delay, so each feed stimulates them to produce milk for the next feed, so if nothing comes out the first time it may 2 hours later as your ducts have been stimulated. IYSWIM.

JezzaJ9 Wed 27-Aug-08 10:59:19

Hi All,

I am not leaking as such however is it slightly crusty at first??? Its not visible outside my BRA but when I get changed it seems that their is some sort of layer on top. shock I am 25.4 weeks has anyone else had this?

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 12:20:45

Jezza - that's normalsmile.

I started making colostrum from about 20 weeks with my first pregnancy - I don't know why it was so early, dd1 was born at 40 weeks.

Plenty of women never see any colocstrum but go on to breastfeed successfully.

AnnVan Wed 27-Aug-08 13:28:11

Kat - I just tried your tip and it worked straight away! That's really weird.

lollipopmother Wed 27-Aug-08 13:40:39

I am 38+6 and I haven't been properly leaking, although there have been a couple of suspect spots on the bed sheets over the last couple of weeks that I can only assume have been made by me - I'm just hoping that's not me dribbling!

limey Wed 27-Aug-08 13:47:34

Belgo - thanks for your post as I was starting to worry that leaky boobs at 20 weeks might be an indication that I could expect a prem labour!

FruitynNutty Wed 27-Aug-08 14:00:05

I'm desperate to start leaking! I'm only 10.5 weeks as well. I keep squeezing my nipples blush I'm just so worried I won't have any milk like last time. I'm determined to produce milk this time round. I wonder if squeezing my nipples will help or maybe make it worse hmm

islandlassie Wed 27-Aug-08 14:03:29

i was leaking at 20 weeks roughly - i ruined my favourite bra!

FruitynNutty Wed 27-Aug-08 14:15:12

really? Doesn't it come out in the wash? Shame to ruin your fave bra

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 14:15:28

Fruity - don't squeeze your nipples, try the technique I described above - although at 10 weeks I don't think it's a brilliant idea, as nipple stimulation can start contractions! I'm sure it's safe but a bit unnecessary.

FruitynNutty Wed 27-Aug-08 14:51:27

no I thought it might be a bad idea hmm I'll try what you said when the baby comes along smile I'm just impatient

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 14:57:45

colostrum is really fatty, so I guess it could stain?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: