Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I just made my nipple leak colostrum!

(18 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 09:20:10

Learnt how to self express last night, and after a very weird dream I gave it a go this morning and a bit of colostrum came out! I'm finding this far more exciting than it probably is...

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 09:21:26

grin I'm pregnant with my third baby, and I breastfed both dd1 and DD2.

But I was still very excited when I started 'leaking' during this pregnancy!

How many weeks are you?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 09:38:35

38 nearly! It's all getting very real....

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 10:15:05

grin

AnnVan Wed 27-Aug-08 10:33:34

Hmm - I'm coming up to 40 weeks and haven't leaked at all.
Well I think I may have had one tiny drop once - clear and slightly sticky, does that sound right? Oh god, I'm not normal. I'll have to formula feed eeek eeek.

hanaflower Wed 27-Aug-08 10:37:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 10:38:49

That's it, and don't worry, it only came out because I was stimulating the breast - and I realised i was trying to do it wrong before! Try putting thumb above the nipple and 1st 2 fingers below, then squeeze and release a few times, don't try to 'milk' yourself just squeeze and release, if nothing comes out try again in 2 hours, she said that the milk ducts are on a time delay, so each feed stimulates them to produce milk for the next feed, so if nothing comes out the first time it may 2 hours later as your ducts have been stimulated. IYSWIM.

JezzaJ9 Wed 27-Aug-08 10:59:19

Hi All,

I am not leaking as such however is it slightly crusty at first??? Its not visible outside my BRA but when I get changed it seems that their is some sort of layer on top. shock I am 25.4 weeks has anyone else had this?

belgo Wed 27-Aug-08 12:20:45

Jezza - that's normalsmile.

I started making colostrum from about 20 weeks with my first pregnancy - I don't know why it was so early, dd1 was born at 40 weeks.

Plenty of women never see any colocstrum but go on to breastfeed successfully.

AnnVan Wed 27-Aug-08 13:28:11

Kat - I just tried your tip and it worked straight away! That's really weird.

lollipopmother Wed 27-Aug-08 13:40:39

I am 38+6 and I haven't been properly leaking, although there have been a couple of suspect spots on the bed sheets over the last couple of weeks that I can only assume have been made by me - I'm just hoping that's not me dribbling!

limey Wed 27-Aug-08 13:47:34

Belgo - thanks for your post as I was starting to worry that leaky boobs at 20 weeks might be an indication that I could expect a prem labour!

FruitynNutty Wed 27-Aug-08 14:00:05

I'm desperate to start leaking! I'm only 10.5 weeks as well. I keep squeezing my nipples blush I'm just so worried I won't have any milk like last time. I'm determined to produce milk this time round. I wonder if squeezing my nipples will help or maybe make it worse hmm

islandlassie Wed 27-Aug-08 14:03:29

i was leaking at 20 weeks roughly - i ruined my favourite bra!

FruitynNutty Wed 27-Aug-08 14:15:12

really? Doesn't it come out in the wash? Shame to ruin your fave bra

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 14:15:28

Fruity - don't squeeze your nipples, try the technique I described above - although at 10 weeks I don't think it's a brilliant idea, as nipple stimulation can start contractions! I'm sure it's safe but a bit unnecessary.

FruitynNutty Wed 27-Aug-08 14:51:27

no I thought it might be a bad idea hmm I'll try what you said when the baby comes along smile I'm just impatient

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 27-Aug-08 14:57:45

colostrum is really fatty, so I guess it could stain?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now