Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Right I have a birth ball and its uncomfy when and after I sit on it........

(16 Posts)
mumofdjandbabies Tue 26-Aug-08 21:38:42

it hurts between my legs and in my groin [ouch]
so to avoid thiw are you meant to sit on it legs together or what??!! blush
hurts in at my groin when i bounce on it...

3andnomore Wed 27-Aug-08 07:58:57

I thought that part of the reason one is adviced to sit on the Ball was, that it opens your pelvic area...so...leg closed would probably NOT be a good idea....

Have you only just started using it? Could just be that you are not used to it, yet, and using muscles etc. that you normally don't use, iykwim.

Spagblog Wed 27-Aug-08 08:00:36

careful. It sounds like the start of SPD How many weeks are you?

Leeldodgy Wed 27-Aug-08 08:07:46

They never agreed with me either. I could never stay on the bloody thing. In fact I remember vividly launching it across the room at some point during my homebirth. grin

PortAndLemon Wed 27-Aug-08 08:29:51

They are useful after baby is born -- if you hold the baby, sit on the ball and bounce gently then it's great for inducing sleep...

Never got on with mine in pregnancy or labour but was glad I had it when DS was tiny!

biglips Wed 27-Aug-08 08:32:55

i find it funny when i cant get off the thing after spending 15 mins boucing etc on it...i feel like all my leg joints popped back in when i slowly stand up!

kiskidee Wed 27-Aug-08 09:24:58

yep sounds like you have spd.

try sitting on it, legs together and do small circles and side to side. maybe that is more comfy. it will still help tone your pelvic muscles if it doesn't hurt.

another thing to try out is to kneel on the floor with legs comfortably apart and lie over it. again, circles, side to side swaying of hips, whatever is comfy.

I have spd but in my hip joints and not at the front and it provides the best relief. Like the pieced of a jigsaw slipping comfortably into place again.

mumofdjandbabies Wed 27-Aug-08 10:19:53

ah thanks ladies, you made me giggle there grin

am 38 weeks on fri so thought i should invest in one ha ha even though i haven a scoob what to do with it now

but saying that the kids love it!

right ill try those movements kiskidee thanks!

zoejeanne Wed 27-Aug-08 15:33:55

My Mum goes to pilates and sometimes uses these for exercises - but she gets motion sickness from them and often ends up running out of the class to vomit! Nothing to do with pregnancy, but it makes me laugh thinking of her getting sea sick on a ball (evil grin when I should be sympathetic towards my poor mum)

notcitrus Wed 27-Aug-08 20:06:15

I've got SPD and have a ball (the £8.99 Argos Reebok one), but it's not nearly as comfy as the Gymnastic expensive one the physio has, which is more squishy rubber and I can easily sit on her 75cm one, whereas the inflatable Reebok one I needed to swap 75cm for 65cm and let out a fair bit of air before I could sit on it.

The ball is still nicer than a chair on my tailbone and for kneeling forward on, but I'm wondering if a better one might be worth it - I'm 37+5 but no signs of Squirmy being early, so could have a month to go...

kiskidee Wed 27-Aug-08 21:20:48

NC: I found one in TKMaxx called 'Manduka'. The rubber it is made of is not the shiny smooth rubber like the Reebok ones. It is stippled so it has some texture to it. It also has a kilo of gravel, much like aquarium gravel, which means it doesn't roll away. It cost me £8. don't know if you'll find it where you are.

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 27-Aug-08 21:26:29

notcitrus - can't remember how much my birth ball cost, but it was (and is) v much used. Both in late pg, during labour, and for literally months post-natally to soothe fractious DS.

It's now been reinflated as I'm pg again. Money well spent I think!

mumofdjandbabies Thu 28-Aug-08 09:50:21

I am so tinsy my ball is 55cm ha ha
call me midget grin

MrsTittleMouse Thu 28-Aug-08 10:00:57

You can kneel and lean on it for optimal foetal positioning (now and in labour) if you like. If it isn't so comfy, then you can put a pillow on the ball. So it does have other uses.

lollipopmother Thu 28-Aug-08 11:11:53

For OFP you should never cross your legs, so I don't suggest you do that. FWIW I don't have SPD but I still walk away from my ball a bit like John Wayne! It definitely opens up the pelvis!

mumofdjandbabies Thu 28-Aug-08 22:12:57

thanks guys
john wayne ha ha thats funny lol grin
how approp xxxxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now