Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hospital choice

(6 Posts)
redorwhite Tue 26-Aug-08 15:53:14

Just had my first midwife appt today (6 weeks gone)and requested the same hospital I went to with DS.

They said that hospital was not accepting new referrals but they will try them to see. The alterntive is a hospital I have been to for a different medical condition over the last few months and I really do not want to have a baby there.

How much choice are we supposed to have with things like this - if I kick up a fuss will it really make a difference (it is still early days - how busy can they be next April!) and do I actually want to go to a v busy maternity unit

Backgammon Tue 26-Aug-08 15:56:42

You should be able to choose as far as I know, although I think most people don't.

I had dd 2 weeks ago at a hospital 20 miles away and my being out of area was constantly mentioned by staff there, here, even at the register office. I don't see how hey can refuse new referrals but don't know much about it. I would persist though as most staff don't seem to know anything about out of area referrals.

crokky Tue 26-Aug-08 15:59:17

I had a baby at a v busy unit. My advice would be not to do that. It was terrifying, they just had no time for me - if I hadn't screamed the place down, my baby would have been born on the antenatal ward. I had my first at another hospital and was properly staffed - world of fifference (it was a "lower" grade hosp, but care was much much better.

lauraloola Tue 26-Aug-08 17:29:15

You should have a choice of 3 or 4 in your area. I chose to give birth in one that is 40 minutes away instead of our local one that is 5 mins away! The midwife did not want to change me as it caused her paper work! We made her do it.

redorwhite Tue 26-Aug-08 17:46:41

The hopsital I want to go to is actually my closest hospital (by 0.1 of a mile!) but comes under a different PCT so I don't know if that makes a difference?

aurorec Tue 26-Aug-08 18:31:49

I had a choice. I turned down my 2 local hospitals- they were bith crap, and am going further out.

There should definitely be an option for you as far as I know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now