Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

How do you know when labour is starting?!!!!!

(9 Posts)
dobbins Tue 26-Aug-08 11:59:10

Hi all! Just wanted some advice for when you know you are going into labour. have read all the relevant bits in books but it still states that sometimes it's a bit unclear or could be false labour etc. Would love to hear personal accounts. Is it like period pains only worse? I'm confused. I'm only 37 weeks but have had diahorrea for a couple of days now and one of the books said this could be a sign too.....!

nickytwotimes Tue 26-Aug-08 12:03:37

Well, I had one false start when I thought my waters had broken btu the mw at the hospital couldn't find any evidence so I can only assume the baby belted my bladder! A few weeks later they really did break and then I had strong contractions so there was no doubt,

It is a grey area a lot of the time. If you are in doubt, phone your mw or hospital.

fernie3 Tue 26-Aug-08 12:11:20

hi I knew I was in labour because the contractions just didnt go away no matter what I did.
With BH etc they went away when I moved or went to the toilet or whatever. Also the cotractions felt sharp rather than dull and for me seemed to be concetrated down the bottom of my bump although I know they say they should be all over!. Was exactly the same with both of my children.

sophie

fernie3 Tue 26-Aug-08 12:13:51

forgot to say the day before I went into labour with my daughter I was VERY restless - I was in hospital because of high bp but spent the whole day literally pacing around looking for something to do, contractions started that night. I was induced early with my second so didnt get any signs before

sophie

chloemegjess Tue 26-Aug-08 12:56:31

Also, if it is real labour, the pains should be frequent and getting worse.

If in doubt, just wait a bit and i am sure you will soon know about it if its the real thing!

TheHedgeWitch Tue 26-Aug-08 12:56:34

Message withdrawn

dobbins Wed 27-Aug-08 19:30:57

Thanks! Guess it's different for everyone. I'm sure i should know when it's happening!

lauraloola Wed 27-Aug-08 19:38:22

I had diahorrea for a few weeks before I went into labour. My waters started leaking the day before my contractions started. You know its labour as they are regular and a different feeling to braxton hicks, more like period pains that get stronger.

inni Sun 31-Aug-08 08:34:38

In my first pregnancy my waters broke and slooooowly got contractions increasing in intensity and pain, so 22 hours later my DS was born. In my second pg I got a false alarm, 6 days before the real thing. I got some contractions every 5 minutes during an hour. They weren't really painful but regular. Went to hospital and stayed for 30 hours. They sent me home cos just had dilated 3 cms. 6 days later I woke up with this really painful cramps like every 5 mns. went to hospital an hour later and was 6 cms already. two hours later my DD was out.
They were really different labor as my first was painful and long and scary. My second was fast, painful too although not scary at all.
If your water breaks you just call the hospital and ask when to come in. I don't know how is over there but here until your contractions are 5 min apart and regular you can check in the hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now