Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

has anyone else felt like this at work

(10 Posts)
ellielou02 Tue 26-Aug-08 09:20:50

I am 30 weeks pregnant and plan to go off at 34 weeks, up unitl now I have managed well at work and most people been supportive, I have quite a physical and mental job, I spoke to my boss last week and sai that there was an area I did not feel I was able to do anymore, but they insist on placing me in this area (it is very hot and you are stuck in the same position for an hour plus). When I discussed this with another coleague they basically ignored me. I feel very upset and angry as there are other areas where I could work in the same department without a problem.
Sorry for moaning but I feel like I am totally on my own.

mishymoo Tue 26-Aug-08 09:30:45

I may be wrong, but since you have "quite a physical and ..." job, shouldn't a risk assessment have been carried out?

Hopefully someone will come along with a bit more useful info!

ajm200 Tue 26-Aug-08 09:31:24

I believe that your employer has to take your concerns seriously. They should do a risk assessment and if necessary give you alternative tasks that you can do while pregnant.

I don't work in HR so don't know the law but my last employer would put you on gardening leave if there was no 'safe' job that you could be moved to.

Have you tried speaking to the HR person?

bikerunski Tue 26-Aug-08 10:04:10

Your employer is legally obliged to do a risk assessment on your ability to do your job once you tell them that you are pg. I am not sure if thsi relates just to "dangerous" activities, or if it includes "uncomfortable" ones, but that seems to be a fine line anyway. Any physical must be considered a risk surely?

I'm not in HR or Law or anything, but I have juts left work for mat leave and have a great employer. I was off sick for 8 weeks at the start of my pg and they did my risk assessment as soon as I came back (and they insited that I cam back part time and see the Ocupational Health peopel when I did). I am a civil engineer and was taken off site work, long drives, lone working and anything to do with farms straight away.

Here is what Directgov has to say:
www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10026556

And here is what the Health and Safety Executive has to say
www.hse.gov.uk/mothers/

Their "Chat to an Advisor" service might be useful to you.

Good luck.

ellielou02 Tue 26-Aug-08 18:27:50

Thanks for all your replies, there has been a risk assessment carried out but they havent planned for another one, gonna speak to my boss again I think as I feel things have changed.

twinklytoes Tue 26-Aug-08 19:04:49

the risk assessment has to be reguarly reviewed but unfortunately it is only likely to happen if the employee insists on it.

ephrinedaily Tue 26-Aug-08 19:42:05

I asked for a meeting with my boss at approx 30 weeks to scale down my workload. I know other people who've managed to come into work earlier and leave earlier, and a mate who asked not to work on meat /fish areas etc. in a supermarket when she had morning sickness!

I asked for a meeting and put it to my boss like it makes sense at this stage for other people to start taking over some of my responsibilities as you're going to have to do without me soon anyway, and if I go on like this I'll have to go on mat leave earlier. HTH it's really hard working at that stage of pregnancy isn't it.

ellielou02 Tue 26-Aug-08 21:16:38

I am just frustrated because I am so close to finishing, but am getting so tired and sore because of the area I am in, if they let me work in the other 2 areas in the department, where I would still be working as a functional member of staff, but it would be easier (dont think I am making sense) as not stuck in the same cramped warm conditions.

The other thing is my boss is not very strong and there are other people who stamp their feet and get what they want because of it.

Helen16 Wed 27-Aug-08 19:59:21

Do you have a safety representative at all or a union rep as either of these will be able to take things up for you further. Also bring to their attention that in event of an accident the first things the HSE will want to see is a valid up to date risk assessment.

Helen16 Wed 27-Aug-08 20:01:29

Check out the following link http://www.hsebooks.com/Books/product/product.asp?catalogname=HSEBooks&categoryname=Home%3A%3AFree +Leaflets%3A%3A&product_id=4202 which gives a free leaflet for working mums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now