Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

do you really need antibiotics in labour if you tested pos for strep B in previous preg?

(8 Posts)
Gemzooks Mon 25-Aug-08 20:39:54

I had DS in Belgium, where they test every pregnant woman for strep b at 37. If she has it, they give antibiotics on a drip in labour.

Now pg with second baby in Holland. They say they don't test for strep b, and they wouldn't put me on antibiotics in labour, as 30-40% of women have strep b present in their vagina and it is overkill.

Should I worry and insist on the antibiotics in labour? or should I just go with what they say? Holland doesn't have any higher infant mortality than either the UK or Belgium...

what do others think?

RedHead81 Mon 25-Aug-08 21:20:32

I don't know sorry, so I will BUMP for you

PetitFilou1 Mon 25-Aug-08 21:24:39

If you are worried, why not get a private test done - I don't think they are that expensive - at least not over here(there is a website www.gbss.org.uk/information)

moaningminnie2020 Mon 25-Aug-08 23:18:03

Current recommendations are not to give IVABS during labour as routine unless other risk factors also, such a GBS in urine, prolonged rupture of membranes, etc this has some useful info

I also recall reading that IVABS do reduce the incidence of GBS infected babies but does not improve outcomes overall but I can't find the reference for it just now sorry!

Gemzooks Tue 26-Aug-08 09:36:14

Thanks everyone. I wouldn't be worried if I hadn't given birth in Belgium, where they test everyone and give you antibiotics during labour if your test positive. If I'd had DS in the UK, they wouldn't have tested me and I'd be none the wiser.

Maybe should just accept the risk and be very vigilant of the baby's health in the first few hours/days...

Haylstones Tue 26-Aug-08 09:54:13

I tested + with my first and was then worried with ds (now 6 months). IIRC, there are other risk factors that are taken into account, not just a previous positive test. The GBSS website is very useful and have info on private testing, which is what I did in the end. I was negative so I could relax a bit but the lack of awareness and knowledge by the mws I encountered was astounding so my advice is to do your own research!

Haylstones Tue 26-Aug-08 09:56:15

Actually, if you search posts under my name and strep b you should find a couple of threads from when I was in this position. I got some really good advice.
Ds is sleeping on one of my arms so it's tricky for me to type otherwise I'd search for you!

jabberwocky Tue 26-Aug-08 10:12:19

I am in the US and they also test everyone. I would get a test done privately. I seem to recall reading on here that it is relatively cheap and it would put your mind at ease.

FWIW, I was negative with ds1 and positive with ds2. You just never know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now